Gun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is wolf ammo any good or is it just shit? I've never bought it before or used it in any of my guns becuase i though it was crappy ammo. I don't think I've used it before in any gun that i can recall. Does any body have any experience or opions with it?

·
Registered
767 Posts
It depends on what you are going to shoot it thru and what you expect.
If you want accuracy or a clean gun afterwards then look somewhere else

If you are just going to blast away, then it is great ammo

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright thanks i kinda figured the only thing its good for is blasting away when you don't wanna spend much and don't mind a dirty gun afterwards.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
I've "heard on the internets" that the steel casing is hard on extractors, but it seems to work well in AK's, marakivs and the like.

I don't shoot it out of my guns, but I would if I had an AK.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
jamz said:
I've "heard on the internets" that the steel casing is hard on extractors, but it seems to work well in AK's, marakivs and the like.

I don't shoot it out of my guns, but I would if I had an AK.
I've heard the _exact_ same thing.

Basically ok fine for AK and AR too on the cheap or for survivalist types that cache ammo but otherwise sub premium in quality and the 1911 as well as Sig owners I've heard of/from shy away from them.
I also understand it's supposed to be real dirty but i can't imagine how it can be any dirtier than Winchester Whitebox or Remington UMC.

- Janq

·
Registered
767 Posts
But the saving on ammo well out weighs the cost of extractor for either 1911 or ar15

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
I use it(steel cased russian ammo) in a ton of shit from my Walther P38 to my AK and my AR. I have never had a failure to fire and its never broken an extractor. Personally I dont see the 1911 issue since the US GOVT issued steel case ammo for 1911s in ww2. Personally if you can afford a race gun you can afford high quality ammo, but as far as any combat or service arm...if it cant eat anythig you feed it, then it isnt a good combat/service arm.

Glocks eat it no problem
Steyrs eat it no problem
Walther as well and none of these are cheap guns.
Oh and Tokarevs do as well and they are basically a 1911/1903 colt knockoff.

If you want cleaner amo try Silver Bear...its not laquered but zinc plated. And I have had a shit ton of failures with whitebox Winchester ammo. Dented cases, bad primers, and loose slugs.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
22lr Wolf is made in Germany by Dynamit Noble if I recall so its good shit. Also the 380acp is made in Spain as are their shotgun shells...all good quality. I use nothing but Wolf for hunting ammo in my 12ga.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The .22lr wolf march is good stuff, is quite accurate, great for bolt .22
doesn't alway have the power for sems though

·
Registered
132 Posts
early on, in the life of my sig 226, i bought a case of wolf.

never heard anything about them.

then i started to shoot it.

man that thing is dirty. i mean it scared the crap out of me when i saw the ejection port when it turned gray!!!!!

but lots of scrubbing and cleaning is it's back to normal.

on another board, the wolfs arent as accurate (.223-wise) as slightly more expensive or handloads...

otherwise, i wouldnt hesistate in buying them again.

·
Fanatical Feline
5,279 Posts
I never run wolf or any steel case in any of my higher end guns... only my AK's and SKS's. My friend with his bushmaster uses it all the time and his upper recever is so dented up on the shell deflecter it looks awfull plus he snaps extracters off a fair amount and they get mashed in the bolt and goudge out a nice part of the upper recever. No idea why he likes it... its dirty as hell and not that cheap compared to the surplus 556 out there. But its great ammo in klunkey guns like AK's and SKS's they were made for that type of ammo and run it well. As for there handgun ammo.... steel cased rounds in a pistiol.... I would never try it....

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Well then he has a janky bushmaster cause I have run over 10,000 round of ammo through my guns(including some hi end ones) and never had a single part break, one misfire, or anything of the sort with steel cased shit. I do run silver bear through my AR cause its not laquered and is a bit cleaner but surplus ammo aint that cheap really when I can buy 1000 rounds of Wolf for a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I only use wolf in my SKS, that or the blue box stuff we sell at Academy sports. My russian guns _LOVE_ steel case ammo, however yea, i've known it to be very very hard on some other extractors that are only used to brass ammo. Brass is a much softer metal than steel and works much better with lighter extractors. AR's shouldn't have a problem with it and worse case scenario is that you buy a beefed up extractor from Midway and keep on going.

·
Fanatical Feline
5,279 Posts
Im not sure what kind of bolt he has installed in it, his gun is a mutt just built from a bunch of cheap parts, but I have some of his broken extractors here and il get a picture, they break right at the start of the notch. Like me we run alot... of ammo.... our of our AR's I have only replaced one extracter ever and thats because the bolt was sooo warn that it was ramming it into the part of the barrel and mooshing it.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Mine is a mutt as well. Its a Colt AR15A1 upper, a Stag Lower, and a DPMS bolt...but I havent had any probs oddly enough.

I guess if he is really cheap he could buy a shitton of CCI aluminum cased shit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts