Gun Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
10mm Fanatic!
Joined
·
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here it is. Why is the 10mm so unpopular? Is it simply the price of the rounds? I know it’s not as cheap as a 9mm, .40 or .45 but it’s not THAT bad. Am I missing something that everyone else already knows?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,139 Posts
I think it would be way more popular if somebody actually made guns for it beside Glock and high coin specialty makers such as the old Dan Wesson 1911s chambered in 10mm.

- Janq
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,143 Posts
yea - if the size caught on to at least 1/3 of the "big" factories it would do fairly well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
10mm has a lot of snap and is a long case. After the FBI decided against it, and the advent of the .40s&w, there was noone to run with the round


.357 Mag: 584 ft·lbf for 125 gr @ 1450 ft/s;

10 mm: 744 ft·lbf for 165 gr @ 1425 ft
 

·
10mm Fanatic!
Joined
·
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Janq said:
I think it would be way more popular if somebody actually made guns for it beside Glock and high coin specialty makers such as the old Dan Wesson 1911s chambered in 10mm.

- Janq
Don't forget Kimber, Colt, and Springfield still have the 10mm in production.
 

·
10mm Fanatic!
Joined
·
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ducman said:
10mm has a lot of snap and is a long case. After the FBI decided against it, and the advent of the .40s&w, there was noone to run with the round


.357 Mag: 584 ft·lbf for 125 gr @ 1450 ft/s;

10 mm: 744 ft·lbf for 165 gr @ 1425 ft

I think I see what your saying here. The 9mm and 45 were standard millitary rounds for so long that they created an industry behind the round. With no military backing for the 10mm it just didn't get off the ground. Makes sence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
10mm is an offensive cartridge. It isn't meant for defense, and it is too expensive for target practice. It is meant to get the guy in the front and the two behind him.


Also-the military won't back the 10mm cause it is considered inhumane. Just like using a .50 on someone is considered inhumane. Just like having JHPs is inhumane. Hell, we don't want to kill someone in a war. That would be stupid.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,393 Posts
Dont forget that EAA makes the Witness in 10mm in a variety of formats.


I think the 10MM is unpopular because the grip size is increased too much for some if the gun is a hi cap, the round is "too snappy", and alot of platforms just wont handle the beating the 10mm gives out. I have seen a TON of Colt 1911 pistosl with busted parts from the 10mm.

Another cartridge the 40 S&W (Small and Weak to 10mm fans) killed was the 41AE which I thought was kind of neat.

It also regulated the 400 corbon to a lowly status as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Mach5 said:
I've never heard that one before.
Same reason why PDs won't back it. Too much uncontrollable powah!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,393 Posts
PD would back it. Hell they backed the 357mag and the 41mag revolver back in the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Adler said:
PD would back it. Hell they backed the 357mag and the 41mag revolver back in the day.

Back before libbies were in control. That is why most urban police are told they can't carry a .45. They don't want to shoot to kill, they want to shoot to imobilize. A friend of mine that is ex-SWAT told me that they are trained to use the minimal ammount of force to stop someone. But, often they have to use maximum force, otherwise people get hurt.

Not to mention that it over penetrates like a SOB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
The Ghoul said:
Back before libbies were in control. That is why most urban police are told they can't carry a .45. They don't want to shoot to kill, they want to shoot to imobilize. A friend of mine that is ex-SWAT told me that they are trained to use the minimal ammount of force to stop someone. But, often they have to use maximum force, otherwise people get hurt.

Not to mention that it over penetrates like a SOB.
One of the old salts at my department carried a .44 magnum because they weren't allowed to carry .45 acp's that never made much sense to me
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top