Gun Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Plays Counter Strike and knows everything about gu
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a civilian version of the M4. I've heard that the Colt models only accept Colt parts. is this true? There are so many manufacturers of the AR platform I don't know where to start in terms of reliabilty and compatibility (with other manuf. parts). What would you guys recommend as a package gun or a good lower platform to start with?

·
Registered
191 Posts
ooh, good thread, I have to start researching this stuff, we just got re-authorized to carry an AR at work...I just need to pony up the $$ (after I find the $$) to buy one, and then go through the course.

*subscribe*

·
Registered
767 Posts
Colt uses larger pins sizes on the trigger assembly

Go with Armalite, Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS or smaller companies like LMT or CMMG

They are all about equall

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
I'd go with Rock River Arms for your AR. I've had really good experiences with them, I have both Bushmaster and Rock River, and I prefer Rock River Arms over Bushy.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
I'm partial to Bushmasters, probab ly because I live only a couple miles from their factory ;)

I've heard that any Bushy part fits any other bushie part, but if you start mix 'n matching, you can run into operational troubles.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
I built mine with a colt upper and a Stag Arms lower. No Jams as of yet, and I use Ruskie steel case ammo.

Id say go DPMS or Rock River for your upper. Stag Arms sells complete lowers for 199 bucks and they are good shit man.

·
Plays Counter Strike and knows everything about gu
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. its greatly appreciated, with all the different companies out there.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've got an Armalite M15A4 carbine (my M-4gery as I call it), never had any problems with it. Well, actually one problem, one time I was cleaning it when I was shitfaced and I ended up breaking my firing pin retaining pin because I was too drunk to realize that I was pushing it in at a slight angle and (drunk) kept pushing thinking that if I pushed harder it would just go in. I manufactured a replacement with a dremel tool by chopping down a nail and smoothing it out and shit.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Shad said:
I manufactured a replacement with a dremel tool by chopping down a nail and smoothing it out and shit.

what would you call this?

jerry riggin

backyard gun-smithin

·
Registered
29 Posts
i've got a DPMS forged lower that i put an RRA LPK w/ 2 stage NM trigger in a couple weeks ago.

its a slow build, but a build none the less.

2 stage trigger definitely feels better than the single stage on my old bushmaster. nice, short, crisp clean break in the 2nd stage. feels like my springfield "loaded" M1A's 2 stage, which i like.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am building my first AR tonight,

holy crap how annoying is this JP adjustable trigger!

I should have stuck with stock holy crap.

-SF

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thumper said:
Common term is WECSOG

Wile E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithing
I call it "not paying $5 shipping on a 65 cent part." It works and it doesn't harm my rifle, that's the important part. It's also a lesson for those who might break the same part I did. Kind of a "you can do this instead of buying a new part" block of instruction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts