Gun Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Gun-Nut said:
I would assume you are not the only one that likes the .38 super, since that caliber seems to appear alot at competitions. I believe that is what Ducman shoots with also.
.38 Super is a great round. I am going to build a single stack .38 super for the wife to shoot in USPSA. But the .38 super I shoot in Open class is not the same as what you buy at the store. I run a 115gr bullet to 1470 or a 125gr to 1370fps.

The reason that .38 super Super comp, TJ are used in competition is that you need alot of case volume to run a slow burning powder, the slow burning powder works the comp better. Some recent advancements in powder tech have allowed the use of 9mm to make major, but the powder selection is alot smaller.

·
10mm Fanatic!
935 Posts
The best advice I can give you is exactly what I did for my wife. Spend the $60-100 on a beginner’s course where they will actually teach you about guns. After a few hours of classroom time they will usually take you out in small groups to fire several different types and styles of guns. You will learn more, and be able to experience what you do and don’t like about a gun. Most of the time, you will end up with questions that you never new you should ask; and you will have the resources right there to answer those tough questions. Trust me; even if you have been out shooting with friends, a GOOD instructional course is the best bet to get you started. Education and experience is ALWAYS the key to making good decisions. From there, if you don’t find something that “fits” you, go to a different location and rent a gun there. At my local range it is $6+ammo+$2 each target to rent a gun. All of this comes out to quite a bit less then the pain of purchasing a gun that doesn’t fit your hand, shooting style, or needs.

After you have done this, and you have an Idea of what you want, come back to us and we can make recommendations on what you did or didn’t like. Good luck, and have fun.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts