Gun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have fired with my boss and am getting interested in buying my own pistol. I dont know really where to start. knowing me Ill just buy which ever looks the coolest... like a 24k gold plated desert eagle haha

Should I just go to a gun store and ask to look at some? Whats a good beginner gun... haha I guess its not like motorcycles where there is a learning curve

·
Fanatical Feline
5,279 Posts
Like you said, Go to a store and fondle some you will know what one you like but ask around about it before you buy. Must say, cant go wrong with a Glock.

Welcome to Gunatics.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Also going to a gun range with rentals and someone you trust who knows a little more about guns than you is really helpful. Unlike airsoft, buying whatever looks the coolest isn't the best way to go about buyng a real firearm. Take things into account like:

What will the guns primary use be. (i.e. personal protection, target shooting, plinking, etc)

What ammo will be the most reasonable/plentiful to get related to the above.

·
2,988 Posts
For me ... I tried out some guns... and the one i shot best with is the one i will (soon) pick. That was the S&W M&P9. Second runner up is (and will prolly be my third pistol after a wheel gun as my second) was the Glock 19. Can't go wrong with renting and trying.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'd go with the consensus here and go to a gun store and handle a few and see what feels best, but observe the 4 laws of gun handling at all times. Do not simply go for the coolest looking gun there as it may not be what you're after. If the gun is just going to be for plinking and learning to shoot, there's nothing wrong with getting a .22 LR and learning to shoot on that and then moving on to a centerfire pistol later on. The great thing about a .22 pistol is they can be had for a very reasonable price, and ammo is cheap for them so it won't put too much of a dent in your wallet compared to say a .45 ACP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I looked around the gun shop... no one really seemed to want to help me.

What do you guys think about a Ruger P94 40 S&W

·
Plays Counter Strike and knows everything about gu
1,099 Posts
I had a P95DC in 9mm, it ran flawlessly, but the ergonomics sucked. I think there is better out there.

What was the price? And why the .40 for a first pistol versus a 9mm?

I like the .40, but the 9mm is easier and cheaper to shoot.

BTW, Welcome to Gunatics!

·
... the aristocrats
1,020 Posts
Well - here's an important question:
What's the budget?

Personally I have yet to find a .40cal I liked the feel of

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I kinda feel into the trap of looks... and it was one of the cheapest guns there at 499... They had another on blow out special for 349 but I forget what model... something about a blue finish or something

I liked a lot of the Sigarms but they all looked expensive

·
1,099 Posts
The $349, was probably a P95. That tends to be the going rate.

For the $499 price, there are much better options out there.
I'm a big fan of the Glock 19,(I paid around $440 to $450 for mine) it seems to work well with most people as long as you don't have real big hands. Parts are plentiful and just about every reputable armorer knows how to repair one.
I also like the M&P9, but have no experience with it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Gun-Nut said:
And why the .40 for a first pistol versus a 9mm?

I like the .40, but the 9mm is easier and cheaper to shoot.

I'd have to disagree here... Personally, I find a .40 easier to shoot than a 9mm... Don't ask me why, I don't know... I just do. :/

And these days, .40 isn't all that much more expensive than 9mm.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Scirion said:
I'd have to disagree here... Personally, I find a .40 easier to shoot than a 9mm... Don't ask me why, I don't know... I just do. :/

Im 100% the same... I dont know why but I can shoot a glock 23 better than a glock 19. I have yet to shoot a .45 though. I also shoot .22 horrible (from a P22)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
.45 is a great caliber pistol. The recoil is strong, but it's not snappy like a .40 or a 9mm. It's a smoother recoil stroke if that makes any sense at all. I find my 1911's chambered for .45 to be easier to shoot than my Glock 23 or Springfield XD-9. As for .22's, they're a great way to get proficient with firing a pistol, particularly with combating the recoil anticipation...for .22 I have a Kimber .22 LR top end that goes on the frame of my Eclipse for the purpose of shooting .22. If I'm not mistaken, there is also a top end that allows you to shoot .22 LR out of a Glock, I'm not 100% as the only thing to come out of the loud end of my combat Tupperware is the round they are chambered for out of the box.

·
1,099 Posts
Scirion said:

I've met a lot of shooters and know very few that shoot .40's better than 9mm. I would say you and Blindeye are the minority.
Also, when I say easier, I'm talking about follow up shots. Whenever I use a shot timer, I'm considerably faster with the 9mm versus the .40.

Although my experiences with these two calibers are on two different platforms, a sig 229 and G19. So this may have something to do with it. Video of myself shooting both shows much more muzzle rise with the .40.

And you are absolutely correct, .40 isn't that bad per box, but the more you shoot, the more you'll notice the difference in price.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
I shoot 9mm much better than a 40, and alot of guns originally designed for the 9mm and then made into 40 platforms seem to be even harder to shoot.

I actually find the softest shooting auto pistol caliber to be a 38 super.

·
1,099 Posts
Adler said:
I shoot 9mm much better than a 40, and alot of guns originally designed for the 9mm and then made into 40 platforms seem to be even harder to shoot.

I actually find the softest shooting auto pistol caliber to be a 38 super.
I would assume you are not the only one that likes the .38 super, since that caliber seems to appear alot at competitions. I believe that is what Ducman shoots with also.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Its just a pain in the ass to find in stores around here. However on many guns a simple barrel and sometimes mag swap allow you to shoot 9mm in the same gun.

·
... the aristocrats
1,020 Posts
I'm just hard to sell on .40 cal
The 45 ACP is so much more controllable of a round... more of a push than a jerk to the recoil.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Well I can see that in CA, but where there is not a hi cap ban, its an easier sell.

Personally if more guns could hold 10mm, and it was cheaper, it would be the only cartridge I would have.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts