Gun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...what do you depend on to never fail and destroy whatever it hits???

-SF

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Glaser or Powerball is good JHP ammo for autoloaders since it had a plastic cap to give it the profile of ball ammo and make it feed better.

In revolvers I like Corbon JHP

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Based on a bunch of penetration and expansion reliability tests, I like 185 Gr. Speer Gold dots for the .45

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
i run 165 grn Spear Gold Dots in .40s&w in the G27

and 185 grn Spear Gold Dots in .40s&w in the 229

i have the scatter gun loaded with several various shot configurations with other goodies in the side saddle ready for action

the rifle has your basic heat seaking search and destroy rounds at the ready

i just got my .357sig barrel for the G27 - but until i iron out some issues with it - i wont invest in defenseive ammo for it yet

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
For home defense I use winchester shotgun round. 12 guage. I have a gun in almost every room, hidden of course. So if you're in a tight situation, run into the bathroom and grab the shotgun that is already loaded with 8 rounds.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was using Federal Hydroshock in 230gr for my .45. But after reading several aritcles I think I'm going to switch to Speer Gold Dot for both my .45 and .40.

-Chris

·
Registered
442 Posts
I prefer .45 HydraShok, and I have 2 mags for my USP loaded with it. One in the pistol, one right next to it in the nightstand. I also keep 2 backup mags loaded with Federal 185gr .45 EFMJ close at hand, as well. Just for the "what if" I also keep the Mossburg loaded with the good ole 00Buck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
+1 on the hydroshoks.

but lately, i got some winchester black talons-like ammo. forgot the name. but they are the recent ammo of choice of a local PD who went from sig 9mm to a sig .40...

and like most things, i hope to NEVER ever use them for what they are there for...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't think I'd use a slug in my own house. BAM!!!! there goes the intruder.............and my TV behind him.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
ldivinag,

Those new school Black Talon Winchester are called 'SXP' as I recall.
I used to have three boxes of Black Talons in 9MM that I'd been sitting on (MD banned themback in the day) but some tool stole them out of my car along with other crap during a break in. :(

Myself I don't own anything other than FMJ target rounds from Winchester, Remington and American all in .45.
I figure you get hit with that you ain't coming back for more and will likely go into shock even if it ain't a Hydrashock. :p
Finding quality defensive ammo around my town is hard as hell.
I'm going to have to go out of state to VA or NH and drive/fly it back. :\

Shad I'm with you.
Slug use inside the home is akin to cutting a thanksgiving bird with a chainsaw.

- Janq

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shad said:
I prefer .45 HydraShok, and I have 2 mags for my USP loaded with it. One in the pistol, one right next to it in the nightstand. I also keep 2 backup mags loaded with Federal 185gr .45 EFMJ close at hand, as well. Just for the "what if" I also keep the Mossburg loaded with the good ole 00Buck.
Yup, that's what I have loaded in my USP right now. Although gold dot's are really good too. I figure I want something big and slow moving. Just to minimize overpenetration. Also, in the event I miss, I don't want that bullet going through too many homes...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I like what I've read about the Gold Dots, but I haven't gotten around to buying any yet. It'll pretty much end up with me being too lazy to go out and buy ammo one day, burning through the shitload of HydraShok I have laying around, then pretty much being left with no choice but to buy the Gold Dots.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My first choice is 00buck
My second is Speer Golddots +P

·
Registered
231 Posts
Theres nothing like the sound of a 12 gauge being racked in a pump shotty to scare an intruder shitless. But Speer Gold Dots work second for me.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
pbchief2 said:
home defense is a nova with the first shot is #4 followed by alternating slugs an 00. Backed up by a tz-99 and p226 .40
00 buck is the first 3 loads followed by alternating Hydrashok tactical slugs and 00.

there are additional 00 buck and 2 flare shots on the shell carrier - for the smokem & roastem scenarios

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
Shad said:
I don't think I'd use a slug in my own house. BAM!!!! there goes the intruder.............and my TV behind him.

Yeah, I agree.

First shot in my shotguns is buckshot, following rounds are birdshot just to get the job done if it needs more than just one buckshot.

I took these pictures:

Here's what a slug will do to a turkey:

And here is what buckshot will do:

A slug will do a lot of damage, but it will keep going and destroy anything in its path. With buckshot you get more destruction on a concentrated area like seen above.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
brucelee said:
Shad said:

Yeah, I agree.

First shot in my shotguns is buckshot, following rounds are birdshot just to get the job done if it needs more than just one buckshot.

I took these pictures:

Here's what a slug will do to a turkey:

And here is what buckshot will do:

A slug will do a lot of damage, but it will keep going and destroy anything in its path. With buckshot you get more destruction on a concentrated area like seen above.

oh the carnage!:lol:

i shot a good sized watermellon with a hp slug - the term used by the bomb squad - pink mist just about describes it

1 - 20 of 51 Posts