Gun Forums banner

Trying my patience

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  vacca rabite 
I have several friends that are either anti-gun or squeemish around them. Most of them have been shooting with me at some point or another, and said that they felt better around firearms after having some experience with them.

Most folks that are staunchly anti gun are so for a couple of reasons:
1) Have been, or know someone close who has been victem of a crime involving a firearm. My moms sister was shot to death in 1975 - she was in the worng place at the wrong time and was a bystander when some guy shot his ex-girlfreind. This is the type of person who will never be convinced that firearms are a good thing.

2) People that are brought up without exposure to firearms in general. TV, the movies, the news all portray 2 types of people that own guns: criminals and cops. If you are brought up in a family that does not have firearms, chances are that the only exposure you are going to have for them is via the media. The media says guns are bad...

3) Folks that adopt anti-gun mindsets as part of thier political being. I am a liberal, I am also a gun (nut) owner. This makes me a minority in the group of people that I generally talk politics with.

Groups 2 and 3 can be shown that guns arn't just tools for the criminal. Liberal friends in college that thoght I was kinda weird for going shooting every now and again shoot with me now whenever they can. Some of them own thier own, other just use mine.

The thing is, non-gun people need to be shown that guns are tools. That guns arn't only owned by criminals and cops and the occational ******* hunter. Once they see people handling firearms safely and responcibly - and get to do so themselves, their perspective changes.

The other thing to consider is that the most vocal part of any organization is generally the smallest and most wacko part. Unfortunalty, this leads to easy labeling on both sides of the argument.

Zach

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.