Gun Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have one bigger than that.

Its a 1860's style 12 pound Mountain Howitzer cannon. 4 and 5/8 inch bore. A 2 litre pop bottle fits nicely into the barrel, and we've fired a 2 litre bottle full of 1 inch ball bearings before and lemme tell ya...

a hundred or so 1 inch ball bearings fired out of a cannon is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Motorhead said:
I have one bigger than that.

Its a 1860's style 12 pound Mountain Howitzer cannon. 4 and 5/8 inch bore. A 2 litre pop bottle fits nicely into the barrel, and we've fired a 2 litre bottle full of 1 inch ball bearings before and lemme tell ya...

a hundred or so 1 inch ball bearings fired out of a cannon is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
I call bullshit

·
Registered
724 Posts
My neighboor built a 10 pounder parrot rifle and we shoot sode and veggie cans filled with concrete and barring out of it. The concrete 1's will fo through trees.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We generally shoot 1 pound of FFFg black powder. Or sometimes Half pound of said powder, and half pound of coal dust.

Coal Dust = Boom.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
my wifey would kill me if i made a cannon! LOL

there is a whole "how to" site on building your own cannon!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah its surprisingly easier than you think

The cannon I own is actually a hand made cannon.

The barrel is a 777B rock truck suspension tube. Machined out, bored a firing chamber into it, welded trunyons onto the sides of the barrel, and added a hole for a friction primer to set it off.

The carriage it sits on was a large block of wood acquired from a Saw Mill. It was cured, cut down to the rough size of what my father needed it to look like with a chainsaw, then used a set of hand planers to finish it.

All in all it took my dad over a year to make. But it is 100% authentic and period for the 1860's. And my dad made everything on it except for the wheels, we bought them as they are extremely hard to make yourself.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Jeremy said:
My neighboor built a 10 pounder parrot rifle and we shoot sode and veggie cans filled with concrete and barring out of it. The concrete 1's will fo through trees.
A true 10-pound Parrott rifle would be nearly 1,000 lbs. tube weight & 80" long!

(.....and that's the little ones)

Parrotts

·
Registered
724 Posts
speaker said:
A true 10-pound Parrott rifle would be nearly 1,000 lbs. tube weight & 80" long!

(.....and that's the little ones)

Parrotts
Yep yep, it's a full size firing replica. The barrel was made by Getz I believe. I don't know the exact weight but to mount it they put it on a car lift and lowered it onto the carriage or whatever it's called and used a rollback to get it home. It's a big bitch.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Jeremy said:
Yep yep, it's a full size firing replica. The barrel was made by Getz I believe. I don't know the exact weight but to mount it they put it on a car lift and lowered it onto the carriage or whatever it's called and used a rollback to get it home. It's a big bitch.
OK, now you need to provide images 'cause this thread is worthless without them!

I love cannons.

·
Fanatical Feline
5,279 Posts
I built an air cannon that fires C batterys through 1 inch ply wood.. I feel under guned for once in my life :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bobula said:
No pics, no believe

Here ya go shmarty pantsh.

1st pic includes lawn mower for size reference, second pic shows hand for barrel bore reference.

Easily fits into full size pickup bed, weighs in at about 600 pounds. Barrel alone weighs about 200.

Gonna post these pics inthe Members Gallery too I think.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No but I wouldn't mind making some... Won't have any powder for a few weeks. And it might be a few more weeks until we can fire it.

The City I live in only lets me fire it like twice a year. hehehe

4th of July, and .... some random day that I pick once a year to scare the living dog shit out of anyone within a 5 mile radius. Fucker's L O U D.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts