Gun Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a compact 1.5" snubnose for home defense. It's quite maddening to be able to tell what's what out there.

I like the looks of the S&W airlite (think that is the model). It's for my wife so compact and easy to handle is key.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
^

First and foremost, I'd recommend either a 12 or 20 gauge pump shotgun with an eighteen inch barrel for primary home defense. Remember a long gun is a far more effective defensive tool than a handgun, but a handgun will do the trick in a pinch. If, however, you are completely settled in on getting a handgun for use in the home defense role, I'd recommend something other than a 1.5 inch barreled revolver. If you are set on a revolver and it is for your wife's use, I'd say stick with something that has a 4" barrel and would advise staying with a 38 Special (not +P), this should be a pretty easy gun to control. The larger revolvers (.44 and .357 particularly), are significantly more difficult to shoot.

Ideally for a defensive handgun though, I'd recommend an automatic of some sort. Glocks tend to be very popular and for good reason, I just do not like them as they don't fit my hand well and they don't point naturally for me. That notwithstanding, a Glock 17 or 19 would work very well for this purpose as would a Springfield XD-9 or a Smith and Wesson M&P 9. I have no first hand experience with the Smith and Wesson M&P, but I own a Glock 23 and a Springfield XD-9 Subcompact. Both are excellent guns. In the alternative if you're still after something very compact, there is always the Walther PPS in 9mm and the Walther PPK in .380 Auto.

If you are absolutely insistent upon a revolver, you may also want to look at the Taurus revolvers as they are every bit as good as the S&W revolvers, but will save you some coin on the initial purchase.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that no matter what you ultimately choose to go with, the key to effective defensive shooting of that chosen weapon is GOOD training and plenty of practice on range with live rounds, and off range at home with snap caps.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
If you are using this for home defense, get a longer barrel. A 4 inch barrel gives you a loner sight plane so its easier to aim, the added weight will negate recoil, and you will get better ballistics.

That said I really like Ruger revolvers. They are utterly bulletproof.

My second choice would be a S&W 44 Special.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Adler said:
If you are using this for home defense, get a longer barrel. A 4 inch barrel gives you a loner sight plane so its easier to aim, the added weight will negate recoil, and you will get better ballistics.

That said I really like Ruger revolvers. They are utterly bulletproof.

My second choice would be a S&W 44 Special.
What he said, Adler knows all.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol: I tell you it's for my wife and you recommend .44? :lol:

I have a Mossberg 500 with Knoxx Spec Ops stock. That's for me. If there were an incident, the wife would retreat to a safe room with the little one and should have something there to use, if needed (presumably by that point she's called 911).

a .38 with Glaser Safety Slugs is a good choice for what we need.

Back to my original Q - where to shop online for such a gun?

·
2,988 Posts
Bud's gun shop is a usually good spot and I hear they have quick customer service.

This is what I recall and have no 1st-person experience with them.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
pgt said:
:lol: I tell you it's for my wife and you recommend .44? :lol:

I said a 44 Special, not 44 Magnum. The 44 Special in an all steel gun does not kick as much as a snubby airlite with stout 38's.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
back to the purpose of this thread... "suggestions for online sources for a revolver"? I've already checked Bud's and of 5 pages, only half of one is in stock.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
impactguns.com

galleryofguns.com

Two others. Lots of things are going to be out of stock. However look around and see what models you like and then you can probably find a dealer that can get them through the various wholesale distributors like Jerry Sports Center, Davidsons, Accu Sports, Lipseys, ect.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've looked at Taurus and S&W. I'll visit a few local shops and see what they have before making a decision but I also want to know I'm getting a fair deal.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Dont pay MSRP and you are getting a decent deal. It varies from area to area. Here it is 10-15% over dealer cost for most guns.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, . . . I've been teaching people how to safely handle firearms and shoot for more than 25 years. In my experience you do NOT want your wife to try wielding any pistol with such a short barrel. Chances are that she will either miss cleanly; or else she'll only hit a periphery and wound. What she, more than likely, won't do is HIT AND STOP!

My own wife uses a Ruger SP101 revolver with an exposed hammer spur, a 4 inch barrel, and a Hogue soft rubber grip. This Ruger has also had its action smoothed out with a polished action job.

It's a dual caliber pistol and will shoot both 38 Special, and/or 357 Magnum. Before I'd let her carry a gun she had to spend a good 3 months in training with me. During this time I meticulously taught her how to aim, trigger stroke, and fire 'full house' 357 Magnum cartridges.

Understand that my wife is a very gentle, very feminine woman; but, still, I was able to show her how to handle a 357 Magnum revolver better than 70 or 80 percent of the men that I watch shooting their 357's at the range! (It all comes from practice, and knowing how to cooperate with the recoil.) ;)

Here it is!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts