Gun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay now that I have everything in order for my permit, I've come to the realization that my Eclipse isn't exactly the most concealable gun on Earth. I love the .45 ACP round, but I'm not sure if that may be a little too much to control in a subcompact pistol, so I'm thinking something in the Commander size group. Anyone have any input as to whether this is a pretty concealable weapon when worn under light clothing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at one of those over the weekend when I went out to shoot, but the .45 ACP only comes in the 4" barrel and the 5" barrel, I want to get something as slim and compact as possible to minimize any printing on the occasions that I do carry.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
The commander or Officers configurations are both entirely concealable. I used to conceal a 3" 1911 under a TUCKED IN thin polo shirt, using a smart carry sideways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts

Love mine!

As for not being sure if it's too much to handle, My Glock 27 (.40 cal) kicks a hell of alot harder then my Kimber.

If you want slim, Kahr seems to make very slim, concealable weapons. I personally can't shoot a Kahr, way to narrow for my tastes.
 

·
Fanatical Feline
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
Bobula said:
If you want slim, Kahr seems to make very slim, concealable weapons. I personally can't shoot a Kahr, way to narrow for my tastes.

Wow, I like that 1911!

I have a Kahr P9 9mm Very slim and compact but had some trouble with stove pipeing at first and had to send it back, but after it came back it runs great. I only use that when I cant carry the USP .40 compact.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,139 Posts
What Jamz said...either is pretty much easy.

I wore my SA commander format today to a sit down meeting at a museum amongst a large gaggle of folks in an IWB holster. My cover was a thin pull overshirt, thats all. I've found that color and pattern are most important to hide a gun than the material or it's cut.
As well for me the most difficult thing is being sure my spare mag doesn't bang or hang up on something like the back of the metal chair I was sitting on.

The thing about carry now days is that everybody has slight lumps and bumps on them thanks to cell phones, blackberry devices, and all kinds of other e-gear that floats on or about the waist line. As such it's totally excusable and accepted to walk around with a thing that goes clunk when bumped just as long as it's outline is not obviously a gun.

Hardest thing about playing it off though are toward persons who want to give you a hug. That takes fore thought and planned hug angle entry.

- Janq
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
Janq said:
Hardest thing about playing it off though are toward persons who want to give you a hug. That takes fore thought and planned hug angle entry.

- Janq
Definitely. Just Monday, my mother went to hug me when we met up at an auction and I kind of did the breakaway spin move to get into the right position. :p My wife knows, and is ok with me carrying. However it is still awkward when she comes in for the affection... :)

BTW, the XD9 fits wonderfully in a size 16 IWB uncle mikes holster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,143 Posts
i shot a friends sub glock in .45 - it was actually easier to control muzzle flip than my sub glock .40???

the one item i didnt like - was the increased width of the sub glock .45

glocks are wide enough already without making them wider for a larger round




its strange - my 229 actually conceals better than my glock, i believe it has something to do with the curves on the slide and grip - where the glock is very edgy and "prints" easier in almost any cover garment


if the 229 wasnt so damn heavy i wouldnt mind carring all the time - but i have been spoiled with the light weight sub glock, so its my summer rig!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,139 Posts
Last night after making my above post and getting ready for bed I took note of the material my pullover shirt was made from.
It is 100% Merino wool which again is very thin and lightweight.
It is dark/forest green and has a light pattern stitched into it. Lumps and bumps disappear under it.

Clothing IMHO is most important toward cover than the physical size of the concealed firearm, of course within the limits of ones own physical comfort.

- Janq
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Yea, my glock is way wider then my 1911, and i do have the hogue grips, wich make it a little wider. Plus the original grips were just so ugly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,143 Posts
Janq said:
Clothing IMHO is most important toward cover than the physical size of the concealed firearm, of course within the limits of ones own physical comfort.

- Janq

i agree janq -


but wearing the same garments will test the ability to "print" of both my 229 and G27

especially something as minimal as T-shirt and shorts

(which is the norm here 80% of the year)


i still find that physical weapon form has a tremendous effect
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,139 Posts
Agreed MMC...definitely within reasonableness and individual stature as well as relative comfort.

I wouldn't attempt to CCW a Desert Eagle or a S&W 500 while I'm sure some person is right now walking around carrying such a hog leg on their hip or in their arm pit with relative ease. :p

- Janq
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a slender, lean build, a full size 1911 is not easily concealable about my person in any position, hence the need for something subcompact or at least Commander sized.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Janq said:
Last night after making my above post and getting ready for bed I took note of the material my pullover shirt was made from.
It is 100% Merino wool which again is very thin and lightweight.
It is dark/forest green and has a light pattern stitched into it. Lumps and bumps disappear under it.

Clothing IMHO is most important toward cover than the physical size of the concealed firearm, of course within the limits of ones own physical comfort.

- Janq
Henry sent me a photo of himself in his shirt for reference:



Tallyho!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
In the winter or when I have a suit on I carry a G-23 in a galco OTWB holster. works fine.

For weekends and other times I have a SW340PD I carry in a Galco pocket holster and a 2x2x2 round pouch on my belt with a speed strip...looks like a business card holder.

Both work fine for me.

The funny thing is for the last three days I have been open carrying after work (jacket off) and it wasn't until the third day people I have seen everyday at starbucks and dinner said "Oh, I didn't know you carried a gun..."

You would think they might have noticed in the days before...lol Maybe the blackberry in a black leather holster was covering it up... LMAO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is your OTWB holster a belt slide, pancake, or paddle. I a Blackhawk Serpa on a paddle that I've been using, and I love it except for it being rigid and uncomfortable to wear for a long period of time and it's a pain in the ass to take it off, but I like it because it has the best weapon retention of any concealment holster I've seen, it's a pain in the ass to take off making it very difficult for someone to get my weapon away from me. I also have a Wilson Combat Tigershark that I absolutely LOVE, but it makes a much larger bulge than does the Blackhawk in that the Wilson Combat is designed to ride a little farther away from the body. Problem number two with the Wilson holster is that the only retention system it has is a tension screw that only seems to increase or decrease the amount of friction on the weapon. There is not "active" retention system, and if anyone knows how a standard paddle holster is held onto the waist band, it's much easier to get that one off. That being said, I have a mild problem with IWB holsters being comfortable since I don't like to buy pants that feel like they could leave some slack in the waistband for the purpose of wearing an IWB holster. OTWB is sort of the way I'm leaning, but I don't want people to know that I carry. A buddy of mine said that even with the Wilson holster printing as much as it does under a shirt, the vast majority of people won't be looking at my waist band to see whether or not I'm strapped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
mwink822 said:
Is your OTWB holster a belt slide, pancake, or paddle. I a Blackhawk Serpa on a paddle that I've been using, and I love it except for it being rigid and uncomfortable to wear for a long period of time and it's a pain in the ass to take it off, but I like it because it has the best weapon retention of any concealment holster I've seen, it's a pain in the ass to take off making it very difficult for someone to get my weapon away from me. I also have a Wilson Combat Tigershark that I absolutely LOVE, but it makes a much larger bulge than does the Blackhawk in that the Wilson Combat is designed to ride a little farther away from the body. Problem number two with the Wilson holster is that the only retention system it has is a tension screw that only seems to increase or decrease the amount of friction on the weapon. There is not "active" retention system, and if anyone knows how a standard paddle holster is held onto the waist band, it's much easier to get that one off. That being said, I have a mild problem with IWB holsters being comfortable since I don't like to buy pants that feel like they could leave some slack in the waistband for the purpose of wearing an IWB holster. OTWB is sort of the way I'm leaning, but I don't want people to know that I carry. A buddy of mine said that even with the Wilson holster printing as much as it does under a shirt, the vast majority of people won't be looking at my waist band to see whether or not I'm strapped.
It is a belt slide I assume. The belt goes through it.



It can be ordered from Galco or at a shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They have a number of similar holsters at my local shop, but they do have the added retention of a thumb break for the 1911 type pistols. I may have to try one of those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,143 Posts
if your goin galco - let me know


they have a 1x a year local sale right from the factory at up to 50% off - its limited pickins though, very hit and miss
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top