Gun Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I am a n00b when it comes to assult weapons/machine guns, and I would love someone to educate me on these Rock River pieces:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-d...ge=larp223.gif&CFID=12326761&CFTOKEN=15748374

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-d...ge=larp9mm.gif&CFID=12326761&CFTOKEN=15748374

Okay, so looking at these, they are pretty much identical. However, I can't tell, but it appears that these are .22's (basically) so they use small, cheap rounds, right? Also, it appears that the .223 has a 30-round clip:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-d...age=06mags.gif&CFID=12326761&CFTOKEN=15748374

But the 9mm doesn't? Why not?

So I'm looking, and one is an A2 and one is an A4. Is the only difference the sights?

What is the "Optional quad rail free float?" It looks like that is what you hold the barrel with, right? Or do you hold the clip with your other hand?

I notice that none of these seem to have buttstocks, so I have to pick up one in addition to the price of the weapon? Such as:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-d...=stcktact1.gif&CFID=12326761&CFTOKEN=15748374

Finally, are these fully-auto, or just semi? If auto, are they legal in VA? I saw the ATF guidelines but couldn't clearly make out if they were legal. It says basically I can't own one for committing a crime (well, duh!) or some oddly worded crap.

I've shot pistols, rifles, and shotguns plenty, this is all new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
rs25.com said:
Okay, so I am a n00b when it comes to assult weapons/machine guns, and I would love someone to educate me on these Rock River pieces:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-d...ge=larp223.gif&CFID=12326761&CFTOKEN=15748374

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-d...ge=larp9mm.gif&CFID=12326761&CFTOKEN=15748374

Okay, so looking at these, they are pretty much identical. However, I can't tell, but it appears that these are .22's (basically) so they use small, cheap rounds, right? Also, it appears that the .223 has a 30-round clip:
The first is .223 or 5.56 Nato basically the same round for this discuss,these are not .22 round, they are the round the millarty uses. They are also pistol, if you put a butt stock on these with out a Form 1 tax stamp, you go to jail for a very long time

rs25.com said:
http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0116LE30RD&storeid=1&image=06mags.gif&CFID=12326761&CFTOKEN=15748374

But the 9mm doesn't? Why not?
The 9mm uses Uzi 32 round mags that have been modified

rs25.com said:
So I'm looking, and one is an A2 and one is an A4. Is the only difference the sights?

What is the "Optional quad rail free float?" It looks like that is what you hold the barrel with, right? Or do you hold the clip with your other hand?
A2 has a non removable carry handle, a4 has a flatop for mounting optics also a4 doesn't have a front sight, the optional quad raid is pictured in the a4,

rs25.com said:
I notice that none of these seem to have buttstocks, so I have to pick up one in addition to the price of the weapon? Such as:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-d...=stcktact1.gif&CFID=12326761&CFTOKEN=15748374
add a stock and go to jail
rs25.com said:
Finally, are these fully-auto, or just semi? If auto, are they legal in VA? I saw the ATF guidelines but couldn't clearly make out if they were legal. It says basically I can't own one for committing a crime (well, duh!) or some oddly worded crap.
These are semi, Full Auto requires ATF approval and a pre 1986 part.
very expensive $15000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very informative, thanks. So I take it the rounds for these are not cheap, huh? :(

So ... if you can't add a stock, can you remove that "stick" on the back? What's the purpose of that thing?

EDIT: Can you even buy a fully auto machine gun?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
rs25.com said:
Very informative, thanks. So I take it the rounds for these are not cheap, huh? :(

So ... if you can't add a stock, can you remove that "stick" on the back? What's the purpose of that thing?

EDIT: Can you even buy a fully auto machine gun?
The rounds are about $140 for 1000 for cheap wolf ammo or 115 for 500 of the better NATO

You can add a stock if you apply to the atf for a form 1 tax stamp $200, plus 3-9 month wait for background check. I recently went thru the process. Bacically you are turning a psitol into a short barreled rifle
http://www.gunatics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=266&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cmmg

You can not remove the "stick" aka buffer tube. there is a spring and buffer in there that are compressed by the bolt anc carrier. A company did make an end cap that removed the buffer tube, but the modification caused reliablity problems

Full Auto is allowed in many states, you need to apply to the AFT for a tax stamp on a form 4 wait for the background check, have local police approval (there are ways around that) and Full Auto is very expensive, since to were manufactured after 1986 that are transferrable to civilians
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, that makes sense (sorta!)

So what about converting something to full auto. I saw that you can't but a full auto machine gun any more, just purchase a pre-ban one. But what about coverting something? I saw a site that sells directions, for example, on coverting something to full-auto but requires BATF approval.

I presume that's illegal, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
Yes, converting to Full Auto on an unregistered weapon will get you life in prison. Full Auto were nolonger allowed to be manufacture for civilian in 1986, even then and now they require ATF approval.

Now you can buy a ar15, any year then buy a registered drop in auto sear (RDIAS) or Register receiver (RR) or lightning link (LL), but you can not take posseccion of the RDIA RR or LL until you have your ATF Tax Stamp. These RR RDIAS LL will all have to be pre '86 manufactured to be legal.

Also, preban post ban referrs to the assualt weapon ban, not full auto, very different.

and the ATF considers the RDIAS, RR LL the full auto firearm, so if you have one but no rifle to put it in, you're still going to prision.


The actual process to get Full Auto is easy. Its the cost that makes it prohibitive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
of course if you are a prisoner like me, in certain states, dont even bother muttering the words CLASS 3...
 

·
Fanatical Feline
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
Woah... let my brain return after that..... ok... First off It's NOT a CLIP! an M1 uses a clip an AR-15's use a magazine... sorry thats something that bugs me. Are you looking into getting one of the rifles on here or building one? also how much are you willing to spend? thats the main questions if your going to get one. Im to tired to think right now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So a clip is for handguns, and magazines are for rifles? This is all new to me. :)

I'm looking to spend around $1,000, and I'll probably just buy something pre-made. I'm not so handy that I would feel comfortable assembling one for the first time. I'm thinking more of getting one of the smaller ones, primarily so the fiance can shoot it too and not feel too overwhelmed.

But then again she loves the 870's we have so ... :laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
A magazine for both a rifle and handgun.
A mag feeds ammo to a gun, a clip feeds ammo to a magazine
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top