Gun Forums banner

Sig 556

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ldivinag 
#1 ·

SIG 556
The time has come. No other semi-automatic rifle has captured the imagination of the shooting public like the SG 550 series rifle. For years this legendary Swiss made rifle has been restricted to law enforcement and military sales where it has continuously built on its reputation for outstanding performance, accuracy and durability. Now, SIGARMS® has undertaken development and production of a U.S. made version. SIGARMS introduces the new SIG 556. The SIG 556 features the same high-performance two position adjustable gas piston operating rod system engineered by SIG’s sister company Swiss Arms and marries it to a trigger housing that not only cuts the rifle’s weight by a pound but is designed to accept standard AR magazines. The SIG 556 features a 16” military grade cold hammer forged barrel, chambered in 5.56mm NATO, with a twist rate of 1 in 7”. The forearm housing the gas operating system is a vented non-slip polymer featuring the SIG TriRail design with three integrated Picatinny rails for mounting accessories. The optional flip up front combat sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. The Picatinny rail equipped receiver is made of high strength carbon steel with a durable wear-resistant Nitron® X rifle finish. The trigger housing is made from a heat treated aircraft grade aluminum alloy with a hard-coat anodized finish designed to survive extreme conditions. The rifle comes equipped with a smooth two-stage trigger. The SIG 556 also features an ambidextrous safety and is designed to accept standard AR magazines. A 30-round magazine is supplied with each rifle. Spare battery compartments are provided in the ergonomically designed pistol grip as well as the rubber padded watertight adjustable butt stock. The butt stock also offers sling attachment points. In addition to the standard model SIG 556 which will begin to ship in late Fall of 2006, SIGARMS will also offer the SIG 556 SWAT. The SWAT model will feature the same compact design of the standard SIG 556 with 16” barrel but will feature a flat top Picatinny railed receiver and a tactical quad rail. These two rifles are the first of several new SIG 556 models that are currently in development at SIGARMS. The wait is over. The new U.S. made SIG 556 begins shipping in late Fall – because the time has come.

Specification Value Accessories

Caliber 5.56mm NATO
Overall Length 37.0"
Length w/ Stock Folded 33.5"
Barrel Length 16"
Rifling 1 in 7"
Sight Radius 21"
Forearm Polymer SIG TriRail
Weight w/o Mag 7.8 lbs
Operating System Gas Operated, Rotating Bolt
Mag Capacity 30 Rounds
MSRP $1,299.95
CA Compliant No
MA Compliant No

had a chance yesterday with one of these - i usally dont like the .223 AR/M platform - just too clunky for my personal taste

i would rather be behind a .308 AR10 or simular

but - after spending several rounds from the SIG 556 - i can honestly say that i would buy one - in fact may be my next purchase

Ferris: It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

See less See more
#6 ·
Janq said:
Go to SigForum.com.

The 556 has been the source of much internet debate, haterism, and complaint...on a level I've not seen there since the days of the Gen 1 GSR.

- Janq

really - i was really impressed - standing next to a bushmaster AR15

#8 ·
wow - just finished poking around the sig forum

build quality issues all over the place

the one i shot this weekend must have been one of the only ones without issues - it was honestly kick ass

oh well i supposed i can find something else to spend $1300 on :)

#9 · (Edited)
Yep...^^

But...Do keep an open mind and know that most folks on internet forums, especially the gun boards, are types who will grab an item no matter how small and run with it like a fifth grader with his first found copy of Playboy.
The GSR tales from years ago still runs rampant even as it was in real life a small specific run of guns that had a propblem early in the fist batch/1.5 yrs. of production. I myself have a GSR, it had problems at first to which SIG fixed, and now I love that gun and would definitely buy another.

You gotta take all this internet commentary from decidedly non-experts and arm chair commando/SEAL/Ranger/C.O.B.R.A. types with a heading dose of salt.
Most happy owners tend to be quietly happy about their purchase, unless it's a Dyson. :p

BTW right now at SigForum the collective has been most excited about the RobArms 'XCR' while the latest talk has been positive toward the seemingly newly discovered to them SOCOM II and SOCOM 16.

- Janq isn't yet ready to buy into the hype, be it good or bad

#10 ·
Janq said:
Yep...^^

run with it like a fifth grader with his first found copy of Playboy.

Most happy owners tend to be quietly happy about their purchase, unless it's a Dyson. :p

- Janq isn't yet ready to buy into the hype, be it good or bad

ROFL - i actually disturbed my neighbor after reading that!

btw - I <3 my dyson! :)

#11 ·
My friend is buying one in short order. Don't worry, there will be a full range report, and keep in mind that we consider a good 'stress test' of a rifle a must. I've also heard both sides of the debate. Those that love it, LOVE it, those that hate, well you know where I am going. IMHO, for the money, getting an AK style gas piston setup in an AR for a little over a grand is one of the best deals on the market. Every other rifle I've seen with a similar setup is 1600+. Something to keep in mind.

#12 · (Edited)
Agreed Toxin, thats my view on the 556.

Yes the forestock is ugly and not useful for tacti-cool crap attachment.
Yes it's lacking BUIS like a 551.
Yes the stock is not cool looking and doesn't fold like a 551.

But it's not a 551 and as you noted for the dollar it beats the XCR and a host of others in price.
I just wish it were multi-caliber capable but that was not within the scope for this particular longarm.

BTW our Dyson broke in December.
The flexible tubing that provides suction from the head up into the main body tore at the middle.
Mrs. Janq got on the Dyson website and ordered a replacement part for like $7 + $9(!) shipping and 45 days later it arrived. Replacing the part took me about 3 minutes and boom it was working at 100% again.
We love our Dyson. :p

- Janq

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.