• So-so

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You're the only one that sucks

Votes: 0 0.0%

Shooter's rant.

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Ducman 
#1 ·
[rant]

Is everybody that is on a gun board a dead shot? I swear they all claim to shoot 4” groups at 25 yards. For as many great web-shooters as there are I would think that I would see a couple of these guys out at the range. Don’t get me wrong every once in a blue moon there’s somebody at the range that’s shooting lights out at 10 meters and 50 feet (max at my range). Every now and then there’s LE that’s shooting pretty decent at 7 yards and at10 meters. But for the most part I see people, LEO and civilians, that are spraying the paper at 7 yards. Shit I’m happy when I’m inside the 4” circle at 50 feet with my .22. If I could do that at 75 feet I would be doing flips. I must suck at the shooting.

[/rant]

#2 ·
some people are dead shots, my gunsmith is a past olympic shooter. slow and steady. I, on the other hand, as soon as I get acceptable sight picture, I touch off a shot. for me if I can put 2 in the A-zone in 18/100 of a sec or better at 30 feet or hit a popper at 100yrds under 2sec from a draw then I go home happy

It all comes down to what you practice

#3 ·
I've noticed the same thing.

Everyone is Annie Oakley and Earnest Langdon wrapped into one.
BTW I shot IDPA last Thursday in a group along with Earnie Langdon and my mentor introduced me to him for him to reply saying that he thought I was "doing well for a beginner". :banana:
But yeah tons of shootist on the net yet oddly they worry about their guns being scratched and speak of having low numbers through their guns like 2K rounds or some such. Heck I'll go through just shy of 1K rds. in a month of shooting (I shoot weekly sometimes twice or thirce if I can get the time away).
Also very rarely do you ever see anyone post up targets and if so it's all close distance stuff at 15' or so.

But then half the gunfu on the internet are retired Navy SEAL, Delta Force and/or British SAS. :p

- Janq can shoot pretty well, for real, but isnt named Oakley nor Langdon

#4 ·
Janq said:
BTW I shot IDPA last Thursday in a group along with Earnie Langdon and my mentor introduced me to him for him to reply saying that he thought I was "doing well for a beginner". :banana:
Nice! did your head swell some much that your ear plugs popped out :)

The Area 7 Revolver winner was helping me lastnight at practice when I was shooting the 625...he said I sucked :D

#5 ·
I shoot at 4” targets at 10 meters and 50 feet with the .22. Now that I have a big bore gun I shoot it at 7 yards and 10 meters. I’ve only had it for 600 rounds. When I get used to the sight picture and better with the squeeze I’ll move it to the same distances I shoot the .22 at. I do groups of 10 at a relatively slow pace. The .22 is probably 10 shots in about 10 seconds. It’s probably more like 7 or 8 because I’m impatient. The .45 is about 10 shots in twice that time. That’s what I practice. Basically I’m just punching holes in paper.

I had a ten year hiatus from shooting. I stopped when I moved from the South East and got heavily involved in working endless hours and climbing in between (not much climbing in the South East). Last December I started back up and have been at the range at least once if not twice a week on different days and different times. I shot three times last week. I see regulars that are struggling. I see regulars that shoot ok. I see professionals (LEO) that are pretty good shots but I also see professionals that are just awful. I see strangers and first timers that are hard press to hit paper. But rarely do I see shooters that are of the caliber that I read about everywhere on the web. I know the good shooters exist because about once a couple of months I see one of them. Hell, I even traded guns for a few rounds with another shooter and watched him destroy a 1” shoot and see dot at 10 meters with my .22. That guy was a dead shot with my .22 and the guns in his bag. It just bizarre that there is such a high density of them on the web and what I see at the range is just the opposite.

#6 ·
Ducman said:
Nice! did your head swell some much that your ear plugs popped out :)

The Area 7 Revolver winner was helping me lastnight at practice when I was shooting the 625...he said I sucked :D
Nope, it was in between stages and I'd popped them out when my guy demanded that he wlak me over and introduce me to him.
Also the COO of S&W was there too shooting and I got introduced to him as well. Nice guys...and Ernie can shoot, of course. :p
He took first overall in SSP with an accuracy percent of 92.11 against penalty time of 3.50 and a match percent of 100.0 (!). Not the guy to fuck with on the streets.

I need to get my motivation up to write an IDPA piece from the newbie perspective and have been meanign to do so for over a week now but just can't find my 'voice', or rather the one I prefer to have on tap when I write stuff up.
I've got an update to the S&W MP40 review thread too.
Bottom line that gun is stuopid accurate and I have confirmed I shoot better with it than my own favorite CCW pistol (!). There is no denying it now as I have the targets and scientific analysis to prove it.
More to come soon as I can overcome writers block. :\

Agreed STiD...I see 'that guy' at the range maybe once per month, not counting employee instructors training on their days off.

- Janq

#7 ·
There are 2 factors that contribute to all the great shooters on the internet

1. people are liars and have poor self esteem

2. alot of people that post on gun board spend alot of time with guns and therefore are better shots than the average once ever other month kinda shooter

#8 ·
Janq said:
I need to get my motivation up to write an IDPA piece from the newbie perspective and have been meanign to do so for over a week now but just can't find my 'voice', or rather the one I prefer to have on tap when I write stuff up.

- Janq
I would like to read that or I might have to swing out to S&W to give it a try

#9 ·
I shoot great when Im not spraying 40 rounds a second at a TV in the old tactic of "Spray and pray" I find it much more fun to fire rapidly and rip stuff apart quickly than to hit it from far away where you cant see the distruction first hand! But when I do take the time to aim and fire I do great, just like to blow off some steam... and a bunch of rounds at once.

#10 ·
Personally, I'd say that I'm a pretty decent shot with a rifle. I've shot in lower tier rifle competitions in the Army (from 4 years ago until I got out recently), but nothing too impressive. Just managed to get on the brigade rifle team, comprised solely of designated marksmen (like myself) and snipers in my brigade, which is a pre-qualifier for higher tier competitions. Never got any higher than that, though. With a pistol, I'd say I'm mediocre. I'd put myself middle of the road on the scale of people that practice regularly. No crazy shot groups, have to really take my time to get halfass decent groups.

#11 ·
I'm not a very good shot. :) I volled a "no".

Maybe we should have an online match to settle it?

Something like 25 yards, slow fire, 10 rounds, discount the wildest flyer, stnadard NRA pistol target, settled caliber, and post up pics of the targets and we score it?

#14 ·
jamz said:
I'm not a very good shot. :) I volled a "no".
Maybe we should have an online match to settle it?

Something like 25 yards, slow fire, 10 rounds, discount the wildest flyer, stnadard NRA pistol target, settled caliber, and post up pics of the targets and we score it?
What you talkin' bout Willis?!

Jamz from what I saw I'd say you are a very good shot.
I'm thinking relative to the average shooter e.g. non FAM, Secret Service, Gunsite instructor, Military Operator.

You can shoot and I'll vouch for that.

- Janq

#15 ·
I don't really practice for tight groups unless I'm shooting a rifle.
When I shoot pistols, I practice point shooting and engaging multiple targets. I figure if I can hit a 8" pie plate at 10-15 yards from a draw in under a few seconds I'm pretty happy.
I try to shoot 500 rounds a month to keep fresh.

#16 ·
Im awesome with a shotgun at the clays range but dont have the time to do any competitions since they are 2 hours away usually.

Im perfectly adequate with a pistol as in if its a life or death situation I could definately hit the bastard with the first shot quickly. I dont need to, or care if I ever can get crazy ass tight groups. As long as I can defend my self well I am happy. Maybe if that level bores me down the road I will try to tighten up. ASof now I can hit a head sizwed object at defense range without a problem.

A rifle well I am awesome with V notch sites on my military surp guns but with peep sights I am hit or miss. Im ok with my FAL, So So with my AR, and oddly I am really really good with my French MAS 36.

#17 ·
I spend a lot of time shooting, lately its been mostly handgun snd I'm average at best. I can't shoot tight groups to save my life. I can't keep 10 in a 4" circle at 10yds on a target but I can hit a soda can 10 out of 10 at the same distance, how does that work??

With a rifle or shotty I'm pretty good but than I've been shooting them for over 20yrs so i should be. I've also been tinkering with rifles for about 10yrs. and spent countless hours shooting and reloading for them. Making 800+ tds shots with a rifle isnt's all that difficult when you use good components. It's basically 90% having the right componentes and knowing how to use them and 10% shooter.

#18 ·
I have noticed that ammo is really everything, especially in mil surp guns. If I dont watch my slug weight on my mausers they shoot high as hell. So I try to keep in the 175gr range. With the weight the 60-75yr old guns are really accurate as far as iron sights go.

#19 ·
Janq said:
What you talkin' bout Willis?!

Jamz from what I saw I'd say you are a very good shot.
I'm thinking relative to the average shooter e.g. non FAM, Secret Service, Gunsite instructor, Military Operator.

You can shoot and I'll vouch for that.

- Janq
Interesting, I thought you were considerably better than me.. Rematch!!! Navy seal vs. Army Ranger. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.