Gun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger Mini 14 Ranch rifle.

Good gun or no? Found alot of mixed opinions.

Found one on internet stainless steel balck composite stock. Weaver 3x9 scope.

Also will these take any standard AR-15 M-16 Mag?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
767 Posts
If you don't care about accuracy or function then they are great

or if you want to play A-team

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
Ha ha, I have mixed feelings about the Mini 14 and Mini 30... Not so much with the rifle, but the mags suck a lot of the time and cause a lot of problems that just piss me off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a blued mini-14 in .223, I've never had any mag problems as brucelee has suggested BUT it's one of the most inaccurate guns I own (out of 40 or so), my only gun that I can think of that is worse is an old S&W stub nose .38.

It's a blast to shoot though, 223 ammo is soooo cheap and for me it's never jammed even after 100's of rounds.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
no1ukn0w said:
I have a blued mini-14 in .223, I've never had any mag problems as brucelee has suggested BUT it's one of the most inaccurate guns I own (out of 40 or so), my only gun that I can think of that is worse is an old S&W stub nose .38.

It's a blast to shoot though, 223 ammo is soooo cheap and for me it's never jammed even after 100's of rounds.
Yeah it's a plinker gun for those who cant afford an M1a or m1 carbine. You would be better off with an SKS or an AK

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Id say it does teh mini 30 and close to the mini 14 as long as teh SKS isnt a chepo chiniese one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Mini-14 does not take AR mags. For that reason alone I went with the SU-16CA. I really couldn't be happier. I have a buddy that hits the range with me now and again who owns a Mini-14. On average, I shoot groups about twice the size with his Mini as I do with my SU.

-Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can fix the grouping issue with shorting the barrel and putting a real muzzle break on it. I have a Mini-30 and love it, cheap ammo and just plain fun to shot. MAgs can be an issue so buy Pro-Mag and forget about the problems. You can modify the gun to use AK style mags, however, have a gun shop do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mini 14 are infamous for having feeding issues with after market Magazines.
Only magazines commonly listed as reliable:
Are Ruger factory and John Mason magazines seems to come back as reliable pretty often on the web, These are the only ones I hear the most about.

The Mini will never be known as a tackdriver. The first thing done out of the box is getting a smith to clean up the trigger. That will help, but expect 2-3" moa at 100. Be prepared to waste money and still not achieve what I think your hoping for.

It ever goes back to the factory for issues after that they may not work on it due to modifications or I have heard of a guy that got a rifle shipped back to him with a stock trigger group installed.

As far a accuracy Ruger reportedly finally updated their machining processes and some guys are hoping this will make a difference in newer ones coming out. I haven't heard anything significant one way or the other on those results.

If your looking to get a .223 I'd lean you towards a Ar clone such as a Rock River Arms, DMPS or such.

My first rifle was a Mini 14. let's just say it collects dust now and the ar gets used.

Note shoracer is talking about 7.62 x39, I'm referring to mini 14 which is .223 only .

Mini 14's take mini 14 magazines only , they do not interchange with Ar magazines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bassplayrr said:
The Mini-14 does not take AR mags. For that reason alone I went with the SU-16CA. I really couldn't be happier. I have a buddy that hits the range with me now and again who owns a Mini-14. On average, I shoot groups about twice the size with his Mini as I do with my SU.

-Chris
Yes I already have a SU-16A love it very accurate with no problems. Well only probs are the 10 round mags that come with it they have probs I think springs are strong enough. Have 2 oralite 30 round mags never had a problem. Very reliable also got mine used for $279. Mini 14 getting to expensive and I have heard alot of mixed reviews will save up for another gun would love to get a M1 but $$$$$. Also it would be sweet to own a BAR. Favorite gun...

Matt

·
Registered
29 Posts
if i had a truck, i'd keep a mini-14 in it..

all the goodness and reliability as an AK-47 variant, just a stepped down caliber and w/o the "evil" looks.

my roommate has one and its never failed him. shoots even the shittiest of the ammo.

not the most accurate, but a good beat on gun.

·
Fanatical Feline
5,279 Posts
Im happy with my Mini-14, its a great shooter and not to bad at giveing me a 3 inch pattern as long as its cooled off, what happens is the thin barrel gets hot fast and you can watch it fall off target with each shot after about 40 or so rounds. Mags? yea... dont go cheap with them, you get the cheap ones you will get laughed at..... yea... I did.... ok I was at the range after loading new cheapo mags with 29 rounds.... all the sudden BWAAAAAAAAP! the lips on the mag bent and all the ammo went zooming right into the back of this huuuuge cop shooting his Glock causeing him to put a nice skylight in the roof of the range....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've never shot one. But I have had enough people wanr me off of them that I have never felt the need to shoot one either. Especially since an SKS or AK are better beat on guns, and a fraction of the cost of a mini-14.

Zach

·
Registered
120 Posts
The Mini was a solid/reliable rifle, good for plinking, but that's about it. However, after a quickie transformation thanks to John at Great West Gunsmithing, I think I'm ready to start up a new love affair.

Opted for Package B - trigger job, Accraglass with atomized aluminum stock bedding, barrel cut to 16.5", crown and thread combo, gas port bushings, and a recoil buffer. John aka "Gundoc" also added a Smith muzzle brake. What used to be 3-4 MOA w/stringers is now closer to 2 MOA. Now to find the right ammo for the "rejuvenation."

Yes, 3.5lb pull!!! :D

·
Fanatical Feline
5,279 Posts
lol... that is true, the one thing I never liked about that show, they blew all this shit up and fired thousands of rounds yet no one got hurt....

I still use my Mini-14 all the time and I hit everything I aim at, even when its hot, yes it does get a tad less accurate but nothing major.

Its just like you anti AR-15 guys, you make up stuff or it just never happens to me...

Btw GT awesome Mini-14, looks like some very good work on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts