Gun Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most airsoft sites would start this review with a description of what exactly a real steel P90 is. I trust you folks to be a hipper audience than that, so we'll skip straight to my impressions of my brand-spanking-new P90TR.

Ergonomics / Design: The Safe-Single-Automatic fire selector's positioning beneath the trigger makes it extremely easy to actuate one-handed.

The battery door is easy to open when you want to, but has nearly no chance of coming open on its own. The battery compartment just barely fits a 9.6v mini battery; if one wishes to get a larger battery, there is a butt pad with a battery holder built in available through AEX.

I've heard some complaints from other reviewers that the magazines are difficult to change - this has not been my experience. I would also submit that given their higher capacity, the fact that you have to change mags less frequently makes up for a lengthier reload cycle.

On the subject of magazines - take the loading tool that comes with the P90 and use it to feed your local landfill. While it's nice that it holds exactly the 68 rounds the magazine holds, its design makes it very easy to accidently bump the latch that retains the BB's in the magazine, causing them to spray forth from the mag that one has just loaded them into.

Field stripping is accomplished at the press of a button, and reveals a tool-less hop-up adjustment dial.

My only significant beef with the design is that I have a hard time getting my eye lined up with the sights when I have goggles on - for some reason I just can't get my noggin over far enough. Your mileage may vary on this one.

Safety : I try desperately to handle airsoft guns as I do real steel; therefore, I have a hard time accepting the situation found with most AEGs, in which you must fire the weapon with the magazine removed in order to empty the chamber. Since the chamber of the P90 is fed from the top of the weapon, it can be rendered safe by turning the safety on, removing the magazine, turning the weapon upside down, and visually inspecting the chamber.

Safety problems, as I see them, are the inclusion of the black flash hider, mock silencer, and the dummy rounds in the magazine. I realize not having one's airsoft guns exposed in public is often precaution enough to avoid misunderstandings, but I firmly believe that the orange markings detract little from a gun's appearance, and enhance its safety significantly. I think the inclusion of these two accessories presents a potential safety hazard. Ditto on the dummy rounds; the magazine could have been constructed of smoked translucent plastic and not detracted from the overall realism of the weapon.

Realism: The TM P90TR is about as realistic as it gets. The only markings missing are the "Frabrique Nationale" text along the body; the caliber and "P90" markings are faithfully reproduced. The cocking handle can be pulled back, and it springs back forward, but the force required to do so is probably less than on the real steel. The weight is about 75% that of the real steel; a metal body kit might make up for the difference.

Performance: I was able to make center of mass hits on adult males consistently out to 30m outdoors. Its compact bullpup design makes cornering in CQB environments extremely easy. I was even able to effectively shoot it one-handed (I was running low on ammo, so I John Woo'd it and my M9). I'll post chrono results and shot groupings once I get them.

In all, I've been extremely satisfied with the little guy. As a side note, the purchase experience at AEX Oakland was quite pleasant, as well. I was on lunch, so I was tight on time. I got the gun, spare mag, battery, charger, and public safety discount on the above and was out the door in 15 minutes.

The floor is open for further questions.

Peace,
Hans

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M733 said:
I have seen first hand the top of the receiver crack off just a warning be careful
Below the carry handle/rail setup?

Peace,
Hans

1 - 3 of 3 Posts