Gun Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at long last I purchased my first pistol after countless trips to the range with friends. I bought an EAA Witness Match in .45. The manual is basically useless as far as the standard operating procedure on cleaning and lubricating the gun, and most of my searches online have only turned up results that are vague and don't really go through the entire process that I could really use. So my question is this.

I'll probably shoot this pistol at the range every 2 weeks or so, with about 200 rounds of JHP ammo. How often should I clean my gun, and how often should I lubricate it as well? I'm also curious as to what exactly I should be cleaning, and where I should be applying lubrication other than the slide rails. I've heard so much conflicting information on where to use solvent, where to use oil, whether or not to use grease, etc etc etc, so if someone could just run through the entire process of cleaning a gun after the range I'd be very grateful. Don't skimp on the details, assume i know absolutely nothing here :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
2 camps.

1. very anal about cleaning. clean every time you shoot.

2. shoot it til accuracy is affected or some severe malfunctions occur.,..

for the most part, my basic cleaning is spraying my SIGs with cleaner, after i do a field take down: slide off, barrel and guide rod removed from slide.

tooth brush to loosen any gunk from the action. then pass boresnake through barrel until innards of barrel looks CLEAN.

then lube metal pieces that touch other metal.

wipe down exterior with a wipe down rag treated with any rust stuff (i forget name of rag).

clean magazine with visual inspection of any dings. make sure spring and follower will do it's duty. wipe down exterior with rag again.

reload mags

stick back in safe...

now, that's the "duty" guns. my safe queens are treated differently. ;)

·
... the aristocrats
1,020 Posts
+1

I clean and oil after EVERY shooting. My guns never rust or (rarely) malfunction.

Think of it as the price of gun ownership

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
I clean and oil after every shooting on almost all of my guns. Now I may only use copper or lead busting bore cleaner every 500 rounds or so.

Otherwise just use a good gun lube. I have come to really like the S&W series of products, Break Free CLP, or Ballistol.

For bore cleaning, a bore snake works well, but I always use a good foaming bore cleaner.

Also if your witness is wonder finish it is able to corrode, keep it oiled. It is just tennifer hardened like a glock , but without the black top coat.

·
Registered
141 Posts
+1 on cleaning it after every time you take it to the range. I've found that a cheapo electric toothbrush really speeds things up.

Of course, I'm OCD about cleaning my guns. If I leave a gun dirty, it's borderline embarrasing. It's almost as much fun as shooting them. Having a beer, watching the game and taking apart guns is a good afternoon in my book.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I usually clean after each week of shooting or right before a match. I use a old t-shirt and sometimes use MPro-7, I very rarely clean the bore and when I do I use a nylon brush. I oil the crap out of my guns. if its metal, it gets oil

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Ditto Duc.

I wipe down the exterior of my guns with a specialized lead collecting cloth after every use. Once per week of use or after an all day ammo heavy course I'll break said gun down and wipe it down with an old shirt. I then relube (As of this calendar yeas I've been using Brian Enos' 'Slide Glide' with excellent results), reassemble, wipe down once more, and am done.
I don't clean bores but one or two times per year and that is with a double pass of bore snake followed by a chemical cleaner.

Also I always lube the mags once a month.

- Janq

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok...so I need to get a cleaning kit. I didn't pick one up with my M&P at the shop, as a friend told me his dad had one that he'd give me. Well...it's not that likely I'll be getting it soon so I need to get my own.

Any specific suggestions? 9mm...so I know I need a tool with a 9mm bore brush and a also something to stick those little wipes down the barrel I guess? Then the wipes themselves, some solvent, some lubricant. Anything else? I've seen electric toothbrushes, toilet paper, q-tips and other household items suggested for additional cleaning.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
mattxander12 said:
What's there to really oil on a magazine ? The spring ? The inner chassis ?

I wipe mine out with wd 40 to get the crud out and just keep it clean. Now on rifle mags I have shot some dry lube inside for my hi cap 30rd mags.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I got my glock w/ 2000 rounds through it, and within me owning it and numerous trips to the range, Ive put 800 rounds through it.

I never once cleaned or lubed it and all 800 rounds fired flawlessly - I cleaned it a few days ago and was suprised at how clean it was. I really didnt even need to clean it, but it did need a little lube.

My ar15 on the other hand was FILTHY after 400 rounds and could use cleaning after every magazine :lol:

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
Blindeye_03 said:
I got my glock w/ 2000 rounds through it, and within me owning it and numerous trips to the range, Ive put 800 rounds through it.

I never once cleaned or lubed it and all 800 rounds fired flawlessly - I cleaned it a few days ago and was suprised at how clean it was. I really didnt even need to clean it, but it did need a little lube.

My ar15 on the other hand was FILTHY after 400 rounds and could use cleaning after every magazine :lol:

Yeah... I don't really clean my glocks... just wipe them down pretty much. :D
The 1911 however... it's going to be kept clean as hell. Its a "fancy gun".

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just picked up a basic Hoppes cleaning kit and ran through it. Broke the gun down. Wiped through barrel with solvent soaked pad. Then dry pads until clean(gonna run through these pads fast, lol). Then I lightly wiped off the oil that was there. Mine gave 7 points. 4 are slide contact points(rear and mid). One is barrel tip and another is rear, near where it ejects. The 7th is just an arrow pointing towards the center while looking down through the top of the gun. I'm not sure if it's pointing towards the mag feed lever or the action below? I put a tiny amount on both and cleaned up excess with a pad. Assuming that'll be ok. I also went ahead and lubed the interior of the barrel, even though I'm planning on shooting the gun this weekend.

I bought a synthetic lint free cloth to do some basic wipedowns, but should I be wiping it down with lube oil? Or something else? Also, I have a slew of cheap microfiber cloths that are safe enough to clean my LCD screen with...any reason I can't use it on the gun as well for basic wipedown?

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
I have some old cotton terry towels I use to wipe down my exteriors. I use a little CLP or other gun oil for it as some of mine sit awhile, and it is Iowa and summer, hence humid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts