Gun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how to determine the best bullet grain for the rate of twist. Specificly I'm looking for the best grain to use with a twist of 1 in 10"
Is there a chart or calculator for this anywhere

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
What caliber? 1 in 10 twists work relatively well with many 25-30 caliber loads. The tighter twists are more for smaller claibers that use longer, heavier buletts like your 223/5.56 NATO guns.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adler said:
What caliber? 1 in 10 twists work relatively well with many 25-30 caliber loads. The tighter twists are more for smaller claibers that use longer, heavier buletts like your 223/5.56 NATO guns.

Its a 30-06

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Well I would stay in the 150-165 range for target and deer sized game hunting since they tend to shoot with the flattest trajectory. Most 30 cal Military rifles had a 1 in 12 or 1 in 14 twist and shot pretty straight as fans of the 03' Springfield can attest to.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You can go as hevay as you want in 30. cal with a 1-10 twist. 150's will shoot ok but I would reccomend something heavier.

The link I posted also has a downloadable twist calculater that's pretty handy

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
He never said what he was planning to shoot. I guess that would help determine the best weight.

·
Registered
724 Posts
What he plans to shoot at is pretty much irrelevent to twist rate/bullet weight. His intended targets is more a question of bullet design than weight. Bullet designs today are 100x better than 30yrs ago. In a '06 you can cover target shooting to any animal on the continent, with the exception of the big bears with 165-180 grain bullets. You can use a 168gn Amax for target and fox or coyote and not damage the furs in the slightest. All other game can be covered with165or 180gn bullets of different design. Rapid expancion like a hollow point or ballistic tip for light skin and tougher controlled expansion like a fail safe or bonded bullet for thick skin. All the major ammo makers are loading top quality after market bullets, so you have many options even without reloading. You can shoot 1 bullet weight and cover all but the most extreme cases.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
True but I asked what for one specific reason. If I know what he intends to shoot at I can reccomend a better load. No need to use a recoil intense combo used for hunting when a lighter load will work for paper targets. Lighter bulets have less recoil and recoil can have a play in your accuracy as a shooter.

Its kind of like you dont use turkey loads for clay busting with a shotgun(I know its not a rifle but its kind of the idea)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well since you guys may be wondering i intend to shoot a white tail deer. for a while i've been using 180 grain bullets but last weekend i was using 150 and 180 grain and it seemed like the 150 had a little tighter grouping and more consistant as compared to the 180 grain those were the only two grains i had on hand. but i plan on doing more shooting and comparisons of different bullets with this gun and maybe going to handloads since i have the equipment except for the dies for 30-06

·
Registered
724 Posts
What bullets have you been shooting in 150 and 180? At what distance? Going out and actually trying diff loads and weights is the only why to really find out what your gun likes. There is no "1 size fits all" in shooting, rifles can be especially picky, even with bulets of the same weight so the only way to find the 1 your gun likes is to try many. And in some heavier bullets they shoot better at longer distance, it takes them a little longer to "sort" themselves out.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Well for whitetail your lighter bullets should work fine. I mean atleast you can use a centerfire rifle where you are. I have to use a pistol/blackpowder/shotgun here.

Id say a 150-165gr would work fine for that purpose. Although for deer a small grouping difference or so is not usually going to hurt your chances of bagging a deer at close to mediumk ranges like it might annoy you if you are an accuracy buff target shooter.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Adler said:
True but I asked what for one specific reason. If I know what he intends to shoot at I can reccomend a better load. No need to use a recoil intense combo used for hunting when a lighter load will work for paper targets. Lighter bulets have less recoil and recoil can have a play in your accuracy as a shooter.

Its kind of like you dont use turkey loads for clay busting with a shotgun(I know its not a rifle but its kind of the idea)
You're right recoil is bad for accuracy but in this case he's using a 30'06, a 30. cal gun. It's gonna have some kick to it, the difference in kick between 150 and 180 will be pretty much un-noticable.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Well combine a lighter load of powder and a lighter bullet and he may notice(that is if he reloads)

It seems the gun he has likes the lighter bullets anyways.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been using soft points at 100 yards. But over the next few weeks i plan on experimenting as much as i can till i find the perfect load for this rifle. Also I haven't done much rifle shooting lately too so with a few weeks of practice it should be pretty tight groups.

·
Registered
724 Posts
There's nothing wrong with plain old soft points, they do the job for a lot less money than premium bullets.

What group size are you looking for? Where are you at now?

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Also....What rifle do you have....just curious

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
My dad has one of those from the 70's. Nice little Semi Auto hunting gun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts