Gun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a handgun soon, and was planning on getting a S&W M&P .40. My brother talked to a friend of his (who has no problem spending $3K on a handgun), and he said that the M&P would be at or near the bottom of his list. His first choice would be an XD....

What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I think you should go to a shooting range and shoot a bunch of different guns.

I was so close to getting an XD .45, then I shot 1 at the range and decided against it. Purely personal reasons, but I got to shoot it side by side with other handguns I was looking at, at the time. I go to most demo days at my local range and related local events too. Real eye opening experiences.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Im a longtime owner of a Sig and a Glock and only fired an XD once. I was very impressed with it. The XD would be on my short list if I were to buy another gun.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I bought an XD9 subcompact a short while ago and love it. Accurate, compact, feels good, etc. I would say get it if you're thinking about it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have no problem spending $3k for a handgun... and I like the M&P, I shot one last week at my USPSA practice. 9mm, very nice firearm. even though it had the small insert, the grip felt nice.

I can not comment on the XD as I have not shot one yet

But what works for me, may not work for you. find a gun that fits your hand and points well for you

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well, what do you want to gun for? Are you going to carry it? Just target shoot?
If you're thinking about the XD, you have quite a few options.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I had a Glock 23 that I just recently parted with and it was a great gun, but it just didn't feel like it fit my hand. I now have a Kimber Eclipse Target II and love it to death now that I got the two faulty mags taken care of. These two are a little more expensive than the S&W, but they are great guns, the HK P2000 and the SigPRO.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I wasn't really considering the XD, until everyone started saying I should get it. :)

I really do like the feel of the M&P, although I haven't fired one. (Range doesn't have a rental one yet)

I have no intentions of getting a Glock, they're just not "right" for me.
I plan on using it for target shooting, with the possibility of carrying it unconcealed in the future.

I did get a chance to shoot a Sig.... P226, I think it was (9mm), and I was somewhat impressed with it.

As for what Orca said... I'd say that about 90% of all the rental handguns (not counting revolvers) at our local range are Glocks. Basically, you can choose from Glocks, Glocks, an XD or two, a couple Sigs, some more Glocks, a USP or two, a few different 1911's, and some more Glocks.

Oh, and I'm looking at full size only... Not compact or subcompact.

While we're on the subject of handguns, anyone have experience with the S&W Sigma's? It seems like I've heard alot of bad about them... Is it true?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
LOL next time title your post:

"Opinion? From eveyone except ORCA"

I can take a hint... ;P

I had probs with 2 Sigma 9's and 1 .40 at a S&W demo day at our local range a few years back. S&W rep kept blaming everythign but the gun. Left a bad taste, so they've dropped off any list I had.

My personal preference on the XD is I'm used to having an external hammer like on my 1911's and USP. The XD's I fired worked fine. Great value, but I just kept looking down at it in holster to verify if the gun is locked and loaded.

·
Negative Nancy
1,164 Posts
anyone else get irked at how everyone LOVES the XD because it's "American"? I'm primarily referring to magazine reviews, but it seems that the 1911>*.gun crowd views it that way.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ORCA said:
LOL next time title your post:

"Opinion? From eveyone except ORCA"

I can take a hint... ;P

I had probs with 2 Sigma 9's and 1 .40 at a S&W demo day at our local range a few years back. S&W rep kept blaming everythign but the gun. Left a bad taste, so they've dropped off any list I had.

My personal preference on the XD is I'm used to having an external hammer like on my 1911's and USP. The XD's I fired worked fine. Great value, but I just kept looking down at it in holster to verify if the gun is locked and loaded.
No, no no... I want your opinion too. I just thought I said something in my first post that I apperently didn't. I thought I mentioned "Anything except Glock"... Must've skipped that. lol What I was trying to say is, renting "a bunch of different guns" isn't really an option, because I don't have any interest in a Glock, and a large portion of the currently available rentals are Glocks. Otherwise, I would do just that. :)

As for the Sigma's... Yeah, that's pretty much what I've heard... Except the S&W rep part. heh

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Scirion said:
Well, I wasn't really considering the XD, until everyone started saying I should get it. :)

I really do like the feel of the M&P, although I haven't fired one. (Range doesn't have a rental one yet)

I have no intentions of getting a Glock, they're just not "right" for me.
I plan on using it for target shooting, with the possibility of carrying it unconcealed in the future.

I did get a chance to shoot a Sig.... P226, I think it was (9mm), and I was somewhat impressed with it.

As for what Orca said... I'd say that about 90% of all the rental handguns (not counting revolvers) at our local range are Glocks. Basically, you can choose from Glocks, Glocks, an XD or two, a couple Sigs, some more Glocks, a USP or two, a few different 1911's, and some more Glocks.

Oh, and I'm looking at full size only... Not compact or subcompact.

While we're on the subject of handguns, anyone have experience with the S&W Sigma's? It seems like I've heard alot of bad about them... Is it true?
Have you tried out a 1911 yet? That is by far my absolute favorite gun. I have one now and I want to get a 1911 commander down the road, so naturally my first recommendation for you as well as anyone who's asked me is to go try one of those out, and if high magazine capacity is something that you're after, you can get that in a 1911 design too.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Walther p99 and Steyr get my vote.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
All I can say is that the P99 and Steyr are designed by EX-Glock engineers. They Steyr is essentially an updated Glock with better ergonomics and sights, and the P99 integrates improvements like grip insets, and a SA/DA trigger system.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts