Gun Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about picking one up on deep discount via a closeout.
I used to be way into knives and carried them daily, back in the 70's and 80's. :p

I still have my knives from that time but they are all huge Buck knives and such and I have a crap knife that says "TIGER" along the side. No clue what I was thinking when I paid money for that one but it's time to move on.

So with that said what do you guys think about the A-F Covert @ $80?

Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Covert Black Double Edge, Serrated
Technical Specs:

* Overall Length: 8.62''
* Length Closed: 4.8''
* Length of Blade: 3.75''
* Weight: 3.8 oz.
* Lock Mechanism: Liner Lock and Roto-Lock
* Blade Style: Double bevel, Serrated edge
* Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel, non glare black
* Handle Material: Fiberglass filled nylon

Key Features:

1. Thumb stud for easy one handed opening
2. Sturdy liner lock keeps blade locked securely in
3. Pocket clip
4. Roto-Lock™
5. Full stainless steel liners
http://www.lapolicegear.com/apcobldobese.html

Thanks,

- Janq

·
Registered
144 Posts
For $115, I'd trust Cold Steel over Gerber. http://www.coldsteel.com/recon1.html - The Tanto is possibly my next purchase. Cold Steel demonstrates their knives to be the toughest blades PERIOD. Check out their video.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mak I will check that out.
Keep in mind this Gerber item is as per the link on closout marked down from a $177 retail.

- Janq

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did keep the deep discount in mind, but Gerber also makes a host of mediocre products too. In my opinion, the A-F does not look stout enough to survive a drop or other random abuse. In a self-defense situation, I'd hate to miss my mark and break/bend the blade against a wall or other hard object. The Cold Steel would stab through a car door before breaking :wink:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Change of opinion

I know you already bought the Gerber, but...

It appears that a LOT of people do not hold Cold Steel the company in high regard, but feel that some of their knives are good for the price. I realise that the "Proof" videos are hokey, but they do relay that the knives are pretty tough. I decided to fore-go getting another CS product and ordered a Benchmade 707SBK last night. It's a smallish knife, but fits my needs as an every day carry knife.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=707

I ordered it from here: http://stores.ebay.com/MATTHEWS-SPORTING-GOODS

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makarov,

Thanks for your input and support.
Yep I went ahead and bought it already as I found a second supplier selling it at a low price of $49. Thats just stupid cheap.

As for use and my thread in OT I think that some persons 'ChuckH' included wrongly think that fights and knife fights in specific are at distance and fluid like in West Side Story. They are wrong, or atleast from the fights I've been in and the time I was stabbed, with a sharpened pencil no less.
In real life it's you and them (rarely have I had to fight with just one person) and when physicality begins almost always they are right up on top of you breathing in your face coming with punches and/or weapons. At that point concern for hittng a wall bending my blade are minimal. Even a blind man can hit his target when the target is literally on you tugging at your clothing & gear et. al.
The upsdie for this is the device is inexpensive facilitating throw away if necessary with no attachment on my part. Of course I hope tonever need to use it for anything more than cutting box tape every so often.
But if ever I did need something better than nothing then I suspect this will work out just fine.

I'll post a report once it arrives. : )

- Janq

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, not to brag, but I've been in a few fights :wink:

I've never had to use a knife for defense, but I do know that getting tackled/kicked while down/being suckered punched has made me drop my beer/cell phone/sunglasses to catastrophic effect. I would prefer that if I dropped my knife, it would still be useable. Although the opponent could also pick it up, so maybe it should break and you draw another knife :?

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:lol:!

I'm sure somewhere on some self defense board somewhere there is a thread toward just that, being in a fight only with purpose tossing to the ground a crap ass knife likely made of tin (!) to distract ones attacker while one goes for their second and real defensive weapon toward the win.

- Janq

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts