Gun Forums banner

Older Ammo question?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mach5 
#1 ·

How do I need to store older ammo?

What do you need to look for in older ammo before shooting?

I've had these Black Talons for about 8 years...got them at a gun show, and don't really know how old they really are.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just keep them out of humidty. Black Talons are pretty much the same as their newer silvertips. Commercial non-corrosive ammo has a shelf life of 30 years max before it starts to go bad.

#3 ·
A sealed drybox/drybag FTW.

I bought an ammo drybox from my local hardware store for $3.99 on clearance.
It has a rubber gasket built into the lid so that when closed it seals against everything from air (e.g. humidity & dust) to water as well.
Thow a pack or two of dessicant inside and you're good.

- Janq

#5 ·
Ammo can stay good for a long time if stored properly. The other week I was shooting some WWII vintage stuff out of a mauser- it was terrible- 0.5 to 2 second hangfires with every other round. Wasn't that much fun.

#7 · (Edited)
fatcat said:
You got some good ammo there... Very expensive.
This may be a dumb question...but what makes this stuff so good? I keep hearing that black talons are the sh!t. But Is it just the hype of having "Black Talons"? They just look like 230 grain hollow points to me?

I've got 2 Glaser Safety Slugs and 8 Hornady TAP rounds in my mag for around the house right now. Should I be using the talons?

Don't know how true this is.
l
l
l
V
firearmstactical.com said:
The Black Talon bullet came under intense negative media scrutiny after it was criminally misused in a shooting rampage in a San Francisco office building in July 1993. Nine people were killed and six wounded by gunman Gian Luigi Ferri. The news media reported falsehoods that Black Talon's "razor sharp claws" created particularly ghastly, devastating and unsurvivable wounds.

The forensic pathologist who performed the autopsies of the fatal shooting victims gave a detailed presentation about his findings at the 1994 IWBA Wound Ballistics Conference in Sacramento: "The 101 California Shooting: The Black Talon Bullet," Boyd Stevens, M.D., Medical Examiner, San Francisco, CA. He stated that the wound trauma produced by Black Talon was unremarkable, meaning the wounds were no different nor any more severe than wounds produced by typical JHP handgun bullets. Each of the victims incurred fatal injury because a bullet passed through a vital structure.
http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs2.htm

#9 ·
I hear alot about them when people see that we sell them at the store I work at for 60 bucks a box! Cops say that they expand and keep there mass almot more than most JHP rounds... But I know the new Solid copper rounds keep like 95% of there mass, so whats the differance?

There have been so many things spread around about them from "There armor piercing" to "OMFG TESE ARE TEH MOST UBER BULLETS EVER! THEY EXPLODE!" I just know there good at expanding, keeping there mass and have an evil sounding name...

#10 ·
Black Talons got a bad repututions and they got a facelift and a name change and are no different than the current Silvertips you can buy.

The ww2 ammo last longer cause its corrosive. The corrosive primers last much much longer and you can usually shot 100 year old ammo if its corrosive and stored properly. I am betting that 8mm mauser that you guys were shooting is the Yugo stuff....they are plagued with hangfires. The Steel case romanian stuff is not as hot but muc better quality. The Turk stuff was the shit but the brass was birrtle so you had to inspect every round for splitting.

#11 ·
BTW....as far as I am concerned the Black Talon/Silvertip sucks compared to the new copper rounds or the new Speer GoldDots. The Speers sexpand 150% with great reliability.

Worst I have seen seems to be the Remington unbonded Golden Sabres....they shed their jacketing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.