Gun Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
little mccrackin got 2 airsoft guns for xmas and asked me for some targets

well his bb gun target box i built is too robust - they just bounce off - LOL

so whats the best solution for airsoft target practice that will catch the airsoft bb's?

dabuttkracken had some "gel" targets that litte man saw many moons ago and has been askin about forever - do they work?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
i use a cardboard box. usually they only last a little while each so i build a few. but they are cheap and easy as hell to make.

some cardboard (1 ply) can be penetrated by the BB;s so i can make a complete box and tape a target to the front. anything thicker then 3 ply and you have the bouncing off issue. if thats all i can find, i make a complete cube and cut the center out of one side, and tape the target over the hole. these last a little less time, after 30 shots or so some bb;s start bouncing uut of the holes.

then i started doing target praticice on plastic manican things. its a thin plastic shell shaped like the top half of a man. no mechanism to catch BB's but you should NEVER EVER be re-firing bb's anyway.

so if you looking for no mess go the box option. if you dont care about left overs i like the cheep manican.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I used a box that I got from a Costco purchase. I tape a paper target over the one side that is open. The pellets can only come out after I have shot a big enough hole in the paper. I jammed a towel into the box as well because my gas gun will penetrate through the back of the box.

Shooting through paper is more fun that shooting at the gel target and hoping that the pellets stick.

Give the boy the idea and the tools. Supervise him while he makes the target box.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^

we gotz tons of boxes - we bought a $10 gel target that he has been askin for

i plan on fastening 2 laptop boxes together and taping range targets to it later

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bwawahahahahahahaha

well the p22 only made i shot down range before little mccrackin busted the trigger pin

in the process of drilling out cheap pot metal and fixin a screw to connect the trigger bar to the trigger

since when did i become a airsoft smith?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
the other way is drap a heavy piece of cloth over a open end of a box. Only fasten from the top. The cloth will "catch" the bb's. You can hang a paper target in front of the cloth.

2 probs with gel targets. Decent gas guns should shoot through the gel and you really never want to reuse bb's in the first place (+1 for Nugz) Esp if they have gel residue on them.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the ideals guys!

gun fixed for now

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
Yeah, I used to use the cloth method as well... and for my high powered rifles, I use a damp cloth.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL

little mccrackin is funny as hell

after the repair job - the POS kept jamming and one got stuck in the pipe

he was soo frustraited - he said "this airsoft gun is a total piece of junk!"

i almost fell down laughin

now that he has a target - he has his heart set on a "better" airsoft gun

so in addition to the target box - can you guys point me in the right direction for a good airsoft company that doesnt make crap

or at least put up to the torture test of a 10yr old?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Wish I had a simple answer for ya. Prob is there's many options. I guess the best place to start is how much do you really want to spend?

Sounds like you got him a spring Walther P22? Hate to say it but all those springers break. A Japanese brand Tokyo-Marui, makes some pretty high qulity spring pistols, but they start at $50.00. (Im comparison to the Chinese copies at $10-$20)

There are Electric Pistols powered by AA batteries which is a "step up" and works in semi-auto, but they always have weird grip safeties, which seem difficult for kids to deal with. But these also break and do not have a readily available repleacement parts.

Tokyo Marui makes an electric non blowback, what we call an AEP (Auto Electric Pistol) which may be just right for a 10 y/o. Not as powerful as a GBB, but accurate and runs off mini r/c car batteries. These come in Pistol and SMG varieties.

And for Gas Blow Backs (GBBs) The 1 thing I always say is go with brands that have a good 3rd party upgrade/add-on support.

Tokyo Marui
http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=366_76
KSC/KWA
http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=366_75
Western Arms (May be too expensive)
http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=366_486

These all have the most upgrade/add-on parts available. And you'll see they have multiple models available. Performance will be about the same across each respective line.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^

tanx mang!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i just thought of this, you could buy cheapass jello and get it into a mold of a block then maybe tape targets to that, i have never tried this so i have no clue how well it works, anyway the bbs would probly go strait though the gel, it just an idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well if im in the house a box filled with shredded paper works great.That is if you have a paper shredder handy. You cant really salvage the bb's but, for 10 bucks for 5000 whos really gonna go diggin for them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts