·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As reported yesterday at Boston.com:

Tuesday, May 30, 2006
Boston officials launch gun buyback program

By Suzanne Smalley, Globe Staff

City and police officials and community leaders announced this morning that a gun buyback program is restarting in Boston.

They announced that about $40,000 has been raised for the program, under which people who turn in guns will be given $200 in Target gift cards.

Officials are opting for gift cards instead of cash because criminologists have found that in previous buyback programs, some people used the buyback money to purchase newer guns.

The turned-in guns will be traced to try to connect them to crimes, officials said, but no identification will be required of people who hand in guns, and they will not be charged with possession.

The buyback program is the latest effort to cut gun violence in the city. It reprises a city effort that from 1993 through 1996 collected 2,800 guns by offering $50 cash for each weapon.
Posted by the Boston Globe City & Region Desk at 12:00 PM

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2006/05/boston_official.html

- Janq

P.S. - For those who might be wondering why I posted this and not see the obvious, this is an excellent opportunity for those in the NESIC region to get sell the unsaleable for breakeven if not profit and not have to worry about failing a buyers inspection or getting ripped off via a PayPal scam. If you have some old POS gun sitting in your safe or sock drawer that's not worth even a case of ammo then here's a chance to dump it and possibly make a profit!
I don't know about you but my wife is in Target weekly buying crap. It would be worthwhile to buy a crap $100 rifle from WalMart and then show up in Boston to turn it in for $200 and double your money easy & legal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Baltimore used to do this as well. I was going to use it to turn in an old SKS that I had used, abused, and totally shot out.

Ended up trading it and about 900 rounds of 7.62 for an m1 carbine and about 10 mags.

Zach

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Sweet!

I've been waiting for a buyback- $200 is pretty generous.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Score! Is there a limit to how many you can turn in? :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rules said:
1. Gun must be delivered unloaded.

2. Gun must be put in a clear plastic bag,
and put into another container (gym
bag, backpack etc.).

3. If depositing ammunition in addition
to a gun, ammunition must be
delivered in a separate bag.

4. If transporting the gun by car, gun
must be transported in the trunk of
the car.

5. After the gun is screened by officers,
and determined to be a working
firearm, a gift card will be given.

6. Rifles and Shotguns will be accepted,
however no incentive will be issued.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
I wonder also if you have to/get to fill in a MA transfer of ownership form so as to prove that the gun is no longer yours.

·
Registered
29 Posts
jamz said:
I wonder also if you have to/get to fill in a MA transfer of ownership form so as to prove that the gun is no longer yours.
What about all the illegally owned ones? :laugh:

If turning them into a PD or surrendering you are exempt from needing a permit and other restrictions.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DevX said:
jamz said:
What about all the illegally owned ones? :laugh:

If turning them into a PD or surrendering you are exempt from needing a permit and other restrictions.
Yep thats exactly what I would think and is how these things are run in MD and DC.
Down there it's a 'Don't tell, don't ask' program where they don't give you grief but at the same time you don't ask/say dumb 'ish.
The intent is to get guns out of homes as well as remove guns off the street.

Question:
Do you guys advise I post this at NASIOC?
I held off on doing so only because there have been alot of gu related threads going over the weekend and I figured there might now be a gun burnout.

- Janq

·
Registered
144 Posts
DevX said:
Rules said:
6. Rifles and Shotguns will be accepted,
however no incentive will be issued.
Aw, crap.

You may want to post this in NESIC, but I'd stay away from OT since it's a regional thing.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
DevX, where did you find those rules? I've looked everywhere and can't find any info on this project.

·
Fanatical Feline
5,279 Posts
Buy back? they never owned them in the first place...

All there doing is taking tax money and buying the guns then distroying them, so basicly there takeing tax money and cutting it up....

I would never turn any of my rifles in no matter the price given to you. This kinda stuff makes the brady bunch people happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts