Gun Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to airsoft.

A bunch of guys at work are deep into it and I'm thinking of diving in. I used to play paintball and love that, so I think Airsoft is right up my alley.

What do I need to look for in a gun? I've seen a lot of different battery types, powers, motor types, etc, someone got a quick and dirty how-to of Airsoft for me?

And what do you guys think of this gun:

Echo 1 M4A1 AEG comes with 300rnd mag, 1100mah NiMH batt (WTF is the diff between 1100 and 1500 mah??), and charger, has metal gearbox (these guns have gears??), adjustable hop up (WTF is that??), and shoots 350fps with .20g bbs. That seems FAST.

Any input?

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Ghoul said:
www.airsoftretreat.com/forums

That will answer all you questions.

Tip-search before you post questions. Otherwise, you'll be shot.
:checks join date, post count:

yeah, I'm clear on the search function. I just didn't want to wade through hundreds of posts to find the gems that are ont eh right track and not some moron spouting BS.

thanks though.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
It's really hard to answer your question. Depends on how serious you plan to get. (I.E. if you plan on upgrading, repairing, etc)

But to answer your question on Echo1's they are a re branded sub $100.00 Chinese Clone (Jing Gong or CYMA) AEG (Automatic Electric Gun) that's sold for about $50 more.. They are fine if you only plan to shoot in the backyard, or for occasional use.

High end AEG's ($200+) are mfg' d by companies like Tokyo Marui, Systema, Classic Army, G&G, G&P, etc. (In most cases all are copies of Tokyo Marui and in most cases most upgrades, add-ons or repair parts are made for Tokyo Marui's)

Mid Range AEG's will cost in the $100 range. The are cheaper and I would question the durability/reparability at that price.

Low Range. Sub $100. We consider these "Gateway Drugs"... Cheap to get into, but will leave you looking for higher quality.

Your specific q's:

>>1100mah NiMH batt (WTF is the diff between 1100 and 1500 mah??),
Basically it battery capacity. The higher the Mah the longer it'll last. So 400 mah is the dif. it will last 400Mah longer... (Very over simplified answer)

>>has metal gearbox (these guns have gears??),
Yes. look at this site for animated diagram www.mechbox.com/

>>adjustable hop up (WTF is that??)
Hop-up adds backspin to the bb to help stabilize it's flight path. Decent airsoft guns have adjustable hopup.. Since a bb is round, rifling the barrel isn't as consistent as hopup

>>and shoots 350fps with .20g bbs.
It's fast but relatively speaking. The standard Tokyo Marui AEG ranges between 280-300fps out of the box. The can be upgraded up to the 600fps range somewhat reliably. But higher fps doesn't equal higher quality. Think about it this way. You go and buy a Toyota - Std 3yr 30k warranty. You buy a Hyundai they give you 10yr, 100k warranty. It's perceived value they are adding.

And finally. This section of the site is sponsored by Airsoft Extreme, who only sells the higher end airsoft items. As Ghoul pointed out there are sites who specialize in the cheapshoft like Airsoft Retreat. So for more in depth q's on the cheaper airsoft items, he was pointing you in the right direction.

·
Registered
395 Posts
ORCA, Where in OC do you live?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts