Gun Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dual wields Mosin-Nagants
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys, just sayin hi.

found this place through Brucelee (from OT). cool site lots of info.

i turned in my FOID application about a week ago, i should be getting it in up to 7 weeks. i've been reading and doing research, but i'm a complete noob so i was wondering what you guys would recommend for my first handgun. i've talked to a few people and they've recommended Glock, Springfield XD, or Sigpro, and FN 5/7. but i was hoping you guys could give me some good choices.

it'll be used mainly for home defense/safety. my house has already been broken into once before, and my area is slowly getting worse. so i'd like to be prepared in case something were to happen again.

thanks! :grin:

-Jose

·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i haven't. do most gun shops offer basic classes or know places where i can get them at?

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Get a 22 pistol. It will help you learn faster and get your trigger discipline down. Trigger work is absolutely key to shooting a handgun accurately. I recommend a Browning Buckmark, Ruger, or Beretta NEOS. It will allow you to shoot a lot for little money.

Now you can get a Beretta 92, Taurus PT92/99, Colt 1911A1 or copy, Glock, or Browning High Power and get a 22lr conversion kit for it to learn on and then step up.

·
... the aristocrats
1,020 Posts
Yeah - I'd have to agree The Ruger 22/45 is probably your best bet to learn on. Its cheap, ammo is REALLY cheap, and the gun is hard to break. The layout is on par with the 1911 so you will have the muscle memory to upgrade later.

If you really want something for home defense than a shotgun is a better bet

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Only problem with the Ruger is they are a PITA to takedown and put back together. My NEOS took me 5 minutes to take down, clean, and re assemble yesterday. Has only failed to work with Remington bulk pack ammo. Every other ammo has been 100% and the gun is a tack driver. Paid 260 bucks for it out the door.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Yeah but on my NEOS, its unscrew the barrel from the frame and remove the slide, thats it. Much like the old High Standards.

The Rugers are not fun, but my Erma LA22 Luger in 22lr is terrible to take down and get reassembled. Took me forever last time.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
CZ75 and EAA Witness.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
kartoffel said:
Can't go wrong with a .22 pistol.

Just curious Alder, why no recommendation for a Walter P22?
Do not get me wrong, its a perfectly serviceable gun. But I bought one for the wife, not me. I have shot it, and its alright, but its not full size which is somewhat bothersome to me. And compared to my NEOS, its not as accurate, plus it was 30 dollars more.

·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the input guys, i'm thinking that ruger would be just fine for me. i also found out my local gun shop offers one 5 hour class a month for all the basics. i'll be signing up for that no doubt. :grin:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
call me shallow, but i just hate the way that CZ75 looks. which is a damn shame really, considering how bad ass it is.

edit: scoundrel! the witness is a damn CZ75!

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
I love the CZ look.

Its really just an "updated High Power"

A Witness is a CZ on roids, and a Baby Eagle/Jericho 941 in disguise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts