Gun Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, let me say I spent a bit of time searching Google for information on this but haven't found anything that completely answered my questions.

My brother purchased a Glock from Cabelas in Pennsylvania. It's registered to him currently, but I would like to purchase it from him.

I am a resident of South Carolina, but I am back in Pennsylvania for the holidays. I intend on purchasing this gun from my brother while I am here, but I'm not familiar with the laws in either state on the private sale/transfer of handguns. Could someone point me in the right direction on where to find this information? I checked out www.pafoa.org but didn't find information to help me on this. Is it as simple as me giving him the money and registering it when I go back to South Carolina? I read about having the gun sent to a dealer in SC, who would then transfer it over to me but it sounded like that was for a commercial sale.

Thanks for any advice. :)

·
Fanatical Feline
5,279 Posts
You should do a transfer just to be on the safe side, im not sure of the state laws in SC but I know they are tricky there. Transfer's are anywhere from 10-30 bucks plus 10-20 for shipping.

Someone here should be able to help you on the states laws, if not contact a local FFL.

Also, Welcone to Gunatics!

·
2,829 Posts
^^ That.

If I remember correctly, off-the-books face to face (FTF) sales are okay in PA. BUT.... to play it safe with SC laws you can always do an official transfer at a local PA funshop.

Other states, you may be legally required to do the transfer at an FFL dealer, or even a police station. Be glad your bro doesn't live in Maryland!

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
When transferring between states, its always good to go through a FFL just so you make sure the gun is all legit in the new state. You also create a sometimes valuable paper trail that shows the pistols has gone out of your name.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the advice. I also posted on a regional SC automotive board because I know a lot of guys on there are into guns. This is what one of them posted, and someone else seems to agree with him.

Not really sure of Pennsylvania gun laws, but in SC you don't have to register handguns. When I sold a handgun earlier this year it was just as simple as him giving me the money and signing a piece of paper that said he purchased serial #xxxxxxx from me. And that's just incase he shoots someone. I might have a less chance of going to jail then.
Your thoughts on that?

From what I read on the laws in SC, it sounded scary-easy to purchase a handgun, but it's the concealed/carry permit that had a lot of requirements, the biggest of which is a 10 hour training course. I fully intend on taking a training course since I was raised in a house without any firearms, so that seems like the next logical step after I get the handgun registered.

Slightly OT, but what's the deal with Maryland? We're planning on moving there in a few years.

·
Fanatical Feline
5,279 Posts
Trouble is selling a handgun over state lines IS ilegal as far as I know. As an FFL we cant sell pistols to out of state people without selding it to a local FFL in there state.

Maryland.. Very heavy gun laws...

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
fatcat said:
Trouble is selling a handgun over state lines IS ilegal as far as I know. As an FFL we cant sell pistols to out of state people without selding it to a local FFL in there state.

Maryland.. Very heavy gun laws...

Yeah if you love guns, Maryland is not a good place to live. You can say that for most of New England.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
As noted by others, I too would not be doing this without use of an FFL.
That the seller is your kin has no bearing on anything. Especially with regard to sale and interstate transfer of firearms.

As to the laws, your first step should be to check with the state govt....not *.WebForum.
Always do your own homework, and never take potentially jailable/felony offense advice with out a citation of sources.

SC 'Law Enforcement Division'
http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

South Carolina Code of Laws
(Unannotated)
Current through the end of the 2007 Regular Session
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.htm

As well I would, and do, reference the Brady Campaign site to look out for hints toward gotchas and trap doors...To which it appears SC has none.
http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=sc

Per review of the state law as written it does not appear that a SC resident requires anything more than a valid state issue ID of some sort (e.g. drivers license) in order to lawfully purchase a firearm from a "dealer" of that state.

Dealers in other states following Federal firearm laws will not sell you nor allow you direct transfer of a pistol...unless of course you yourself are a "dealer" with an FFL. It matters not who the seller is. And if you do buy a pistol from your brother not being a resident of that state (PA) and secondarily transfer it across state lines then you'll run afoul of a law long ago put in place by the feds to ban just that kind of activity.

Reference - 18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5) and 922(b)(3)
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

- Uncle Sam will arrest you, and your brother too

P.S. - Welcome to the board!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the welcome, and thank you all for the advice. I've been given a few suggestions with varying degrees of legality, but I intend on doing this "by the book."

My brother and I will be going to a local "gun shop" tomorrow morning to take care of what needs to be done here in Pennsylvania. There are quite a few "FFL" dealers in Florence, so I doubt I will have any problems there.

Janq, thank you for your research. I hate having to ask people to do my homework for me, but this was one area where I was completely clueless as for where to start.

Slightly OT, but the gun I'm purchasing is a Glock 22. From what understand, it's a popular gun and needs little introduction. What I know right now is that it's a composite body, 40 caliber ex-police model. It has Missouri State Police stamped into the barrel, but my brother purchased it refurbished from the Cabellas store a few minutes down the road from here. He's never fired it.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
.40 cal ammo is expensive, which means you'll train less often due to cost alone.

$0.02 Street

- Janq

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Well he can get the lone wolf barrel and switch it to 9mm for practice. Or he could invest in the Advantage Arms kit and shoot 22lr with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't even know you could change all that. Is there anything else I would need for a 9mm conversion other than the barrel? I assume I will probably need new magazines as well, right?

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
I would just get a 9mm to start.
A .22 top end is a good training tool in itself, too.

Aside from rebarreling it would he not need to change the extractor and ejector too, along with the springs.

- Janq

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
t3hWIT said:
I didn't even know you could change all that. Is there anything else I would need for a 9mm conversion other than the barrel? I assume I will probably need new magazines as well, right?
As long as you get the Lone Wolf Barrel you need only the 9mm mags. That is unless its been up springed or something. It would allow you to shoot cheaper ammo, and then drop in the 40 S&W stuff for carry or defense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts