Gun Forums banner

My "soon-to-be" AR upper.

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Mach5 
#1 · (Edited)
Just put a $100 deposit on this AR-15 upper... http://gggaz.com/index.php?id=35&parents=38,39 I'll pick it up on the 15th after I get paid. Long story short...Wife didn't like the Kel-tec SU-16B and told me she wanted an AR. I told her the only reason I was going to get the SU, was I didn't want to drop a ton of cash on something and wanted a .223 tactical type plaything. She said I was an idiot and told me to start building an AR.

Don't know what I'm going to do for a lower just yet. I store I shop at has a few rock river lowers that are nice.

#7 ·
Shit I dont know if I would have spent that much on an AR.

Maybe you should have looked around for a Busmaster M17 or got her an Armalite Ar 180B

#8 · (Edited)
fatcat said:
What kinda lower are you going to get for it?
Don't know yet???

Adler said:
Shit I dont know if I would have spent that much on an AR.

Maybe you should have looked around for a Busmaster M17 or got her an Armalite Ar 180B

The price on these is a little high. I went with it because I got it tax free and w/ a Government employee discount. After that it ended up being around the price of a very good A2 uppper.

#10 ·
There are places that advertize plain A2 uppers in shotgun news for under 300.

Well as long as your happy thats all that matters. Id like to get a new AR180B and put an old 180 lower on it so I dont have to put up with all that plastic shit.

#12 ·
Went with a lower from Oly Arms, I also got it tax free and w/ a Government employee discount. They did a trigger job, put a ACE stock on it, Ergo grip and gave me a hard rifle case for the same price as the standard Rock River lower with A2 stock & grip that I was looking at.

#14 ·
techwrtr2 said:
I was never impressed with the reliablity of the AR-180. Seemed to be a lot more picky about ammo choice and more likely to jam than was the AR-15.

That actually depends on which factory made the 180. There were 3 factories that made them back in the day. Sterling UK, Armalite Costa Mesa, and Howa Japan. The Sterlings were absolute shit....the Costa Mesa ones are worth more but the howa ones work just fine.

Maybe thats why you have you opinion on the 180

I think the main reason they never caught on was that there were other option well in place for nations without facy manufacturing capabilities. The HK and AK rifles were firmly in the lead for stamped reciever guns.

#15 ·
Adler said:
That actually depends on which factory made the 180. There were 3 factories that made them back in the day. Sterling UK, Armalite Costa Mesa, and Howa Japan. The Sterlings were absolute shit....the Costa Mesa ones are worth more but the howa ones work just fine.

Maybe thats why you have you opinion on the 180

I think the main reason they never caught on was that there were other option well in place for nations without facy manufacturing capabilities. The HK and AK rifles were firmly in the lead for stamped reciever guns.
It's been a long time since I either handled or examined the one I used. If my memory serves, it was made by Sterling.

The other thing I didn't like was while an AR mag would fit in the magwell, you had to modify the mag for it to latch. The 180 used a slit that normally wasn't there.

Looks wise, it was pretty badass. Not a common weapon, plus the 40rd mag and folding stock gave it a nicely sinister look.

#16 ·
Yeah but its an easy mod to do to the mag. The new 180B take AR mags.

Yeah the brits are not know for good semi auto guns. Only the L1A1 was worth a damn.

#20 ·
***Little update***

Haven't fired it yet. I've been down in SoCal & Vegas visiting some family and friends and now I'm on my honeymoon in Thailand. Should be home in Oregon around Dec 16th.

...but I have picked up a Surefire and Eotech for it at a cool gun shop in Vegas...Now I just need to find the Ergo forward grip I'm looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.