Gun Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to airsoft, But I'd like to know what a good starter gun is. ( nothing to expensive :? ) I was looking at the ICS M4A1, it was 319.99 and it comes with the battery and charger, but it was on eBay, and I'd rather not take a risk. Anyone know of a good site where I won't have to pay through the nose to get a decent starter? Also, I'm pretty picky with detailed weapons. I like to have my weapons function like the real ones. (Even if its purely cosmetic.)

Thanks,
~Kyu

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Only prob with an ICS M4 is you stuck with it the way it is. There are very few upgrade parts compared to a Tokyo Marui. 99.9 % of all decent airsoft M4 upgrades and accessories are made for the Tokyo Marui. CA, G&G, G&P are copies of the TM M4. But they are not perfect copies of the orig TM copy and there are a few imcompatiblities.

In airsoft, as with almost any costly hobby, when you think you getting a deal, there's definetly downside which most new people don't factor in. In the case of an ICS M4 they promise a bunch of things but there's quality and incomptiblilty issues with after market M4 parts.

If you find a dealer that will stand behind selling you an ICS M4 by all means go for it.

This sites airsoft sponsor, Airsoft Extreme, stopped selling and supporting ICS AEG's a few years ago due to the multitude of probs they had with the entire line. But they do stand behind all the products they sell. They even have increased their warranty period to 45 days and most AEG's they sell are available with beginner packages.

Tokyo Marui would be my first choice for your first AEG. Since they're the most supported AEG it's a good foundation to start with. CA, G&G and G&P round out the 2nd choices, but you will at some time need to fix/tweak them internally.

FYI as of the latest batch of CA AEG's that shipped, there have been increased reports of some quality issues.

The bottom line is go with a retailer that will take care of you after you purchase no matter which mfg you decide to go with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, just one more question. I saw that the Tokyo Marui M4 has a body made of plastic. Is this plastic durable enough to survive out on field? When I used to paintball I've falled so many times, not to mention ran into trees. The ICS appealed to me beacuse of it Full Metal body, but now I see that it essentially has no after market upgrades. I'm begining to lean towards the TM M4. But this will be my final input towards buying one.

Thanks again
~ Kyu

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
You can always add a Metal Body to a TM M4 later. Since it's TM there's a bunch of them available.

The CA, G&G and G&P M4 lines all come with metal bodies standard. All 3 of those manufacturers also make metal bodies only to retrofit on a TM M4.

If you fall/drop a metal M4 body it will mess it up just as much as if you fell on a TM M4. Other parts, other then the body that will be effected.

Seriously though, take your time and shop around. You now have that luxury, where alot fo us oldtime airsofters didn't. If you can get to a walk-in store like 1 of AEX's http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store...s_id=6&zenid=88b15b364af0988d1e6be2cbaec580e8 you'l lbe able to handle and test fire guns side by side.

I hate to say it but asking peopels opinions of "wut am bestest airsoft" from a public forum, will really give you bad advice from my experience. Most people tend to give advice based on the 1 or 2 different manufacturers they dealt with. A reputable retailer can give you a wealth of experience based on what they sold and more importantly what they've regularly had to repair.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, all these airsoft stores are on the West Coast, all I've got here (NJ) is one Airsoft store, but I'll check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
1 stores better then ZERO! FYI you may have probs in NJ/NY getting stuff shipped to you. I hear they been crackin down on gun replicas. MA's even close to an outright ban ;( That 1 store may become your best source ;)

But yeah most stores are West Coast cuz airsoft is primarily manufactured in the Pacific Rim.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, alot of these chinese knock-offs sold here at flea markets is what getting it banned. I saw a sales man sell a few pistols to a group of kids who couldn't have been older than 12 or 13. What I do is I just "smuggle" stuff from ShortyUSA in delaware to Jersey. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
xxG3xx said:
i have had ics guns in the past...and they have sucked...get a TM or CA or G&P
I actually Purchased a brand new TM New type M4. Doesnt come a battery or charger. Does it matter what the brand of the battery is? Or can I use the rechargable batteries they sell at radio shack?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
yes it matters.

Your M4 will use the Mini or SD type of battery with Mini Tamya connector. I think Radio Shack only sells large R/C style batteries with the large Tamiya connectors for the R/C cars they sell. If that's the case, they won't fit in and the connecter will ne ioncomaptible with your M4.

Fortunately they got a really cool new (this year) type of mini airsoft battery. It's an 8.4v 1400MaH Nimh battery. This has over 2x more life then the standard 600Mah NiCad batteries and since it's Nimh type of battery, you do not need to discharge before charging. The battery manufacturere is called Intellect ehich may help you in the search.

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2537

But AEX is outta stock... Cuz I picked up their last 1...

So search for that battery and make sure you have/get a compatible charger. there are other battery types you can look into later, (9.6, Nunchuck style, etc) but for now this would be best battery.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a brand new TM M4A1 New Type for $259.00, a new intellect 8.4v battery for $17.99, a universal charger for $9.99, and 4400 hi-grade .25g BBs for $0.99. It's all together with a $29.00 S/H. I got it from an Ebay seller I've worked with before on a few seperate occasions, so I know to trust him. Let me know if you guys think that price seemed fair.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm just wondering what brand these "hi-grade" BBs are... 4400 for a buck? Where can I get a deal like this? ;)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm just wondering what brand these "hi-grade" BBs are... 4400 for a buck? Where can I get a deal like this? ;) Other than that, sounds good to me... I keep seeing a bunch of stuff from ehobby asia, and wonder if it's a scam or not. It always sounds "too good to be true".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My package came in the mail today, only two days after it was shipped. Came in perfect condition and I'm charging the battery as I write this. I must say this gun surpassed my expectations and is just perfect. I can't wait to fire this beauty. :shock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts