Gun Forums banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
2,988 Posts
I agree. I'm running RC1 at work, home, and on my media PC. Its utterly amazing and I haven't seen anything M$ this stable since NT4 (pre-service packs, of course).

It's quite humbling to get annihilated by 13 year olds.

·
2,988 Posts
Well... Modern Warfare 2 is now out for everything...been playing it since release and the game will easily be Game of the Year for the next 2-3 years at least.

Anyone have this and playing it on Xbox live ?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
i played it for the pc. lets just say im glad i didnt spend $60. same engine, same textures, same mechanics. cant justify the price for what amounts to an expansion pack imho.

·
2,988 Posts
textures in the new one are way better than the old one! Just look at any of the MP levels...mechanics are basically the same, but quite a bit more content has been added. The MP levels are just HUGE

·
2,988 Posts
According to my buddy... MW2 for PC was just a direct port from console and thus VERY sucky. This isn't the case with the console apparently

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
wait... they took the console version and ported it to pc, and thereby its much better for the console and crap for the PC? i mean, sure, there are sometimes areas that lack in a port; but how could you say its way better for the console and shit for the pc if its the same exact thing?

the things that are lacking in the console to pc port that we liked in the original are things like the console, being able to adjust the default FOV to something more realistic, and better support for PC specific hardware like SLI. normally when people talk about the crappyness of ports its reflected in the aspects that are very different, like controls. the ghost busters game on pc had the acceleration scheme from the 360 controller in there still, which made it almost impossible to play.

but, the graphics are not worse on one then the other, in fact, the graphics are still better on the PC because i can force 6x AA which is not avialable on either console, and i can force full textures all the time, which the consoles will LOD.

i run the game 1920x1200 with everything maxed apart from AA and it runs fine. The engine is the same engine as MW1, i would assume the only thing they ported where the new resources and levels. there is not a whole lot of new stuff from a technology standpoint.

·
2,988 Posts
I was saying that the features that traditionally make PC games better than their console counterparts aren't there. MP play is the biggest part you can see this. So why play it on the PC when you can play it on the Xbox in 1080p on a big screen easily?

To say the engine is the same is an understatement. Improvements have been made to the proprietary engine which is obvious in gameplay. They've added detailed texturing, sound occlusion, high-dynamic range lighting and weather capabilities to just name a few.

Here's a small tidbit about it :
IW Engine

As Seen in: Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: World at War, Quantum of Solace, Modern Warfare 2

That would be IW as in Infinity Ward, the legendary developer behind arguably the biggest franchise of this generation, Call of Duty. Although the original game in the series ran off the id Tech 3 engine, for the highly regarded Call of Duty 2 the developer built its own in-house middleware which, until recently, had no official name. When questioned at E3 this year, however, we were told by an Infinity Ward rep that the upcoming Modern Warfare 2 would be running on the IW 4.0 engine, a generation beyond what we saw in the so-spectacular-it-hasn't-aged-a-bit Call of Duty 4, released in 2007.

If you've played that game, then the quality of the engine and the experience it can deliver needs no introduction. Phenomenal animations and lighting lead the way, although its ability to handle complex A.I., amazing sound, depth of field and dynamic bullet penetration - all at a blistering pace - cannot be ignored. Better still, it runs a beauty over a network, leading Call of Duty to be one of the most successful online experiences of all time. The engine enhancements for Modern Warfare 2 are subtle, but powerful. A new streaming texture technique allows the world's objects to appear in far greater detail and resolution, while there have also been major improvements to the lighting, physics and A.I.
from here http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/100/1003728p2.html

and of course the wiki entry:
Game engine
The game utilizes the in-house IW 4.0 game engine, which is claimed to be a generation beyond the capabilities of the engine used in Call of Duty 4.[16] The new engine can accommodate larger worlds, enhanced graphic detail, and more efficient rendering.[46]
Infinity Ward has addressed the issue of enemies that continually respawn at different points of a level.[17] The developer demonstrated that the game engine uses a "dynamic AI," which has replaced the respawn system and allows enemies to act more independently. These "smarter" enemies are designed to actively seek and drive the player forward through a level, and can break away from set behaviors such as following a designated route in order to attack more quickly. The player cannot depend on an enemy being in the same location because enemies will behave differently each time a level is played.[9]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Warfare_2#Game_engine

Just trying to make the distinction that the same exact engine isn't in use. I'm not sure if you've ever tried your hand at game engine programming, but its just like any other software...always versioned up as you add things, not a complete rewrite for every game you put out.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
This is all PR fluff. textures don't really require updates. if i could extract the packs, i could change the textures myself. the ai is the same, and rather stupid imo, i cant tell any difference in lighting or sound, other then there is an over the top reflective surface to the weapons being held by other people that was not present in 1. depth of field and bullet penetration was in 1. i cant knock the netcode because, its is the shit. full MP games in 1 where awesome so long as the server was reasonably close. but thats all been chopped off with 9v9 max mp and p2p hosting through iw.net in 2. no more dedicated servers, no more big MP maps. dynamic AI is a load of horse shit, if anything, there is MORE respawn in MW2, in fact its so stupid in a couple parts of SP i just stopped playing. just because they dont use a set path and saying its dynamic does not correlate in any capacity to the use of endless respawn.

i would again say that the engine, is, for the most part, the same. just because the people peddling the thing try to talk it up does not mean a lot. similarly, you cant say Fallout 3 is not the Oblivion engine because it has a few different mechanics and a different texture pack.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
kartoffel said:
Got the game but haven't played it yet (yeah yeah, I know....) My noobtastic PSN account is kart8305. Fear my elite Little Big World skills, yo.
I'll have to look out for you on there then. I'm PrestigeRG2570 on PSN.

·
2,829 Posts
Well I tried Modern Warfare 2 on the PS3. Fun! When it comes to first person shooters I am a hardcore PC gamer though, WASD and a mouse 4 lyfe. Controls are a little weird for me, but it's playable and fun.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I just re-started campaign mode in regular difficulty. I breezed through it on easy to get a feel for the game play.

·
2,829 Posts
Still getting acclimated to the thumb joysticks. I feel so impotent without a mouse. Having fun in regular mode, getting killed a lot, but enjoying picking up the various dropped weapons.

The FAL is lots of fun (plus it's semiauto, and I haven't figured out the select fire control on the other various bullet hoses). Shot some guys through a wall with it and they actually went down! First video game I've seen where mere walls actually serve as concealment but not cover :D

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The physics of the game are pretty kick ass. There's a mission where you get to use an SDV to do an underwater insertion that's pretty cool. Sneaking up on people and employing the knife is also fun in the game.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
im back into BF2 big time. the game and both expansions where on steam for a daily deal for like 8 bucks. now im addicted again. just got like 20 and 0 gunning in a helo with some random pilot. good times.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I play BF2 every day still (T3hSaladin is my handle). I just paid $30 to have hard copy disks from Dell along with my Alienware. Should have done the Steam deal (I thought it would come factory loaded like they did with Steam).

·
Registered
165 Posts
PSN account JEHowley, just got COD:MW2 going to jump online here in a bit for the first time with this game, but also play battlefield bad company and Haze.

81 - 100 of 138 Posts