Gun Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a proposal in the legislature that would require owners of fireamrs to take out a $250,000 insurance policy for each seperate firearm owned If you don't you will be imprisoned. It also calls for the limitation on the number of firearms you can purchases per year. It would also require owners to show proof of insurance for each firearm at time of LTC renewal.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/ht02/ht02125.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
What a load of bullshit. What kind of average citizen could afford the premiums on a $250,000 insurance policy? Yet another way to ensure that our rights only remain for the wealthy few.

-Chris
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,139 Posts
bassplayrr said:
What a load of bullshit. What kind of average citizen could afford the premiums on a $250,000 insurance policy? Yet another way to ensure that our rights only remain for the wealthy few.

-Chris
No one, and thats their point.

More over insurance in this state is overseen by the state, unlike in other states.
Good luck getting a policy specific to ones firearms in general under an umbrella much less specific per firearm and inclusive of personal liability that will have a premium even remotely afforadble for the average MA resident. IIRC the average annual income for the middle class household is just $37K+/- a few grand.

- Janq
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MACHINE said:
what kind of unconstitutional bullshit is that
The same BS that our great all knowing AG uses to put restrictions and specifications on handguns that are sold in this wonderful totalitarian state. It's ridiculous here.

I've sent a letter to my state senator expressing my feelings on this, but I doubt she'd be against something like this...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
I can't imagine the rates would be to expensive. Insurance is all based on the probability of something happening, which isn't to high for a legally owned firearm.

Still it's a bunch of bullshit. I wonder who had more to do with the bill, the anti gun groups or the insurance companies. All they have to do is cook up some statistics after the bill is passed "proving" it decreased gun violence and all of a sudden you get other states following suit and the insurance companies make a lot of money.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,139 Posts
Ben said:
I can't imagine the rates would be to expensive. Insurance is all based on the probability of something happening, which isn't to high for a legally owned firearm...
Again insurance rates in MA are set by the state, it's not the same here as in any other state.
Rates are set for auto, home, and even health by the state.
It's not hard to guess what the state will set rates for toward this kind of specific policy regardless of probabilities same as they have for the other insurances.

My long time provider stopped doing business in MA back in '00 because of this state controlled system that went into effect in IIRC '99.
I've been with Nationwide since 12th grade (1988) and had the same agent over the last 11 yrs. I wanted to keep him and them as they both have doen me well and right through the years but they were forced to drop me on all my policies (car, home, property umbrella & jewelry riders, etc.).

This state is very whack.

- Janq
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
This bill comes up every few years and gets stuck in review.
It will hopefully die a slow death as it has done before

But call your reps and let the know .

also the target gun bill is in the MA senate, please call your sen. and let them know you want them to support the bill
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,139 Posts
Ducman said:
This bill comes up every few years and gets stuck in review.
It will hopefully die a slow death as it has done before

But call your reps and let the know .

also the target gun bill is in the MA senate, please call your sen. and let them know you want them to support the bill
Duc,

Do you have a link toward the 'Target Gun' bill?

Thanks,

- Janq
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,393 Posts
People give me shit for living in the middle of nowhere in Iowa....but shit like this has coninced me to not move to either coastal reagions. Sure its boring here and the winters are freezing and summers broiling. But atleast people have a small bit of common sense left and tend to mind their own friggin business.

A couple of state Reps in Des Moines who are from the east coast tried to one up the Cali gun ban here. They were going to ban all semi auto rifles with teh ability to be over 5 rounds....even 22lr's. Man you should have seen how fast that shit died especially since IA is really cashing in on out of state hunters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Janq said:
Ducman said:
This bill comes up every few years and gets stuck in review.
It will hopefully die a slow death as it has done before

But call your reps and let the know .

also the target gun bill is in the MA senate, please call your sen. and let them know you want them to support the bill
Duc,

Do you have a link toward the 'Target Gun' bill?

Thanks,

- Janq
It's H.4552

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/ht04/ht04552.htm

I contacted mine a few times about it. It's a small step, but atleast it's in the right direction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
Adler said:
People give me shit for living in the middle of nowhere in Iowa....but shit like this has coninced me to not move to either coastal reagions. Sure its boring here and the winters are freezing and summers broiling. But atleast people have a small bit of common sense left and tend to mind their own friggin business.

A couple of state Reps in Des Moines who are from the east coast tried to one up the Cali gun ban here. They were going to ban all semi auto rifles with teh ability to be over 5 rounds....even 22lr's. Man you should have seen how fast that shit died especially since IA is really cashing in on out of state hunters.
I know what you mean. I grew up in Alaska and will probably move back when my time is up in the military. It would be political suicide if somebody proposed that kind of shit up there. Hell, they're actually going the opposite direction of California and Massachusetts. They did away with CCL's a couple years ago, no permit required now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DevX said:
It's H.4552

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/ht04/ht04552.htm

I contacted mine a few times about it. It's a small step, but atleast it's in the right direction.

I got a letter in the mail yesterday from Mr.Resor

Thank you for your correspondence regarding H 4552 "An Act Protecting the Rights of Target SHooters." In the past I have supported legislation that prohibits the purchase of certain guns that are extremely lethal, as well as high powered weapons that can be used in warfare, sniper activity or other non-recreational activities. I have read the Gun Owner's Action League fact sheet that explains H4552. My initial response is to be supportive of recreational activities that include Olympic style pistol shooting, international practical shooting competition and single action pistol competitions. I would welcome any more information that you could send me to know more about this sport and the guns used in them before I make up my mind.

Thank you again for your correspondence and I look forward to hearing from you.
At least she's kind of supportive. I think it hit the floor already though.


I have supported legislation that prohibits the purchase of certain guns that are extremely lethal
Uh...
:?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top