Gun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I want to do is go to the local shooting range, use one of their guns and practice shooting. Problem is that even if I'm a member I'm not allowed to shoot alone without my own gun...but I'm not sure what kind of gun I want and I'm not sure I want to keep one in the house, they have a good selection and I just wanted to try different guns.

Is this just a crazy San Francisco rule?

The shooting range is half a mile away from work so it would be really convenient to shoot in my lunch hour.

I'm considering buying a cheap $250 shotgun from big 5 just so I can use their guns...apparently if I have a gun already they will let me use their guns on my own.

Very confusing.

·
Fanatical Feline
5,279 Posts
Its because of a few suicides that have happened at ranges with guns being rented out to a shooter alone.

First post, Welcome to gunatics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fatcat said:
Its because of a few suicides that have happened at ranges with guns being rented out to a shooter alone.

First post, Welcome to gunatics.
Thanks for the welcome. It's very frustrating because there is a range so close to where I live and work.

I would love to be able to go there at lunch and use their various guns...oh well :(

·
... the aristocrats
1,020 Posts
Its pretty much standard at most ranges that offer rentals in he bay area . There was an incident at Targetmasters where a woman shot herself with a rented firearm and than shortly thereafter a guy went into Reeds Indoor Range , rented a carbine and proceeded to "commit suicide by gun shop employee".

The thinking is that if you own your own gun you probably won't bother coming to the range to kill yourself or shoot at others. AND people rarely take friends with them to commit suicide.
I honestly don't have a problem with this policy.

Your solution... take a buddy or buy a gun :D

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Well bring in a blow up doll with " She holds my loads" written on it in Sharpie and say its our shooting partner. They will laugh so hard they will let you shoot. No humorous SOB is a suicidal SOB.

Just kidding BTW.....they will probably just call the cops on you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Adler said:
Well bring in a blow up doll with " She holds my loads" written on it in Sharpie and say its our shooting partner. They will laugh so hard they will let you shoot. No humorous SOB is a suicidal SOB.

Just kidding BTW.....they will probably just call the cops on you.
:lol: That is genius.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
any time man. i live in alameda too so anytime you wana go throw some lead down range give me a holler. send me a pm and send you some contact info if your interested.

·
2,829 Posts
Nose Nuggets said:
any time man. i live in alameda too so anytime you wana go throw some lead down range give me a holler. send me a pm and send you some contact info if your interested.
Alameda.... is that where they keep the nuclear wessels?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
There is a Naval air base here and they did park a lot of nuclear relates wessels (powered or ordinance carrying). the base is not in use anymore, they shoot lots of movies there now (matrix). and its where we all go to screw around in/on our car/bikes/atv's. the only thing that sucks is it was one of the bases where they used those radioactive disks to light up the runways for night landings... and when the realized they weren't so great the just buried em instead of properly disposing of them. but apart from that its bad ass. the Naval base that is, alameda as a whole is just a nice quiet town.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I've got a lesson tomorrow at the range which covers basic shooting technique etc..then the plan is to buy a $250 mossberg shotgun (8 shot, short barrel security model) that way I can use any of the handguns that the range has to offer for free (they have lots of different guns to try out).

Never fired a shotgun before, I hear they have quite a kick.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Buy a realistic looking BB/pellet gun from Dick's for like $69.
They look _exactly_ like a real firearm to which they copy. I have one from Crosman toward a Walther P22 Compact.

Show them that in a 'case' or range sock and then be like yeah I'd like to tray a *.gun too to see how it feels.
Problem solved.

Welcome to Gunatics!

- Janq

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
so if you go to that range with a weapon you own you can rent any pistol for free?

id go down there with my CA m4, but its so not cali legal looking it might send the wrong impression....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's $250 for a years membership and that includes free gunhire and lane fees...as long as you bring in a working firearm they let you shoot solo.

I checked and a $250 mossberg pump-action shotgun is fine as long as you shoot buckshot or a slug.

The wife says I've got to buy a safe before I can keep a gun in the house so I guess I'll be safe shopping tomorrow :)

·
... the aristocrats
1,020 Posts
If you want my opinion - the Mossberg is probably not a great choice for you if it will be your only gun and you want to shoot a lot. Frankly indoor target shooting with a shotgun gets old fast; with buckshot you basically ruin a target with every 3-4 rounds. 00 buck is kinda expensive too.
Trap shooting - now that is fun, but it ain't happening indoors.

If I only had one gun and was primarily shooting indoors I think that a 9mm would be my choice. Ammo is relatively cheap, the gun is easy to store/transport, and it would still be effective for personal defense if it came down to it.
You can get a SW9VE 9MM Smith & Wesson for ~$350 new locally and if you are willing to do FFL/mailorder you can get a Steyr M9 for around the same price
If you are willing to go used, than things get even cheaper

1 - 20 of 27 Posts