Gun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...If not impossible in a protracted fight.
Open hand is for the lose get hold of something, anything, to use as a defensive weapon ASAP assuming you can't escape/evade.

First here's a video via Google that was posted at WarriorTalk.com;
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3314413849946719103&q=knife

Second take a look at these pics but read the explanation first.
Knives and other cutting/piercing weapons are no joke and should not be taken lightly.

LEO @ WarriorTalk said:
The man is apparently a California deputy (I don't recall where at the moment) who was attacked either off-duty or while in plain clothes (it was not spelled out).

It was suggested that he was a trained martial artist who recognized the knife threat, had time to disengage, but let his "dojo mind" get the better of him.

If the last part holds true it looks like he was off-duty, without gun, and willing to go hands on with a knife weilder.

He lived to learn (and teach) a painful lesson. I don't know about the perp...

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=11974
Now be for warned these images are GRAPHIC and not at all for the squeamish or for view if children are within viewing range....

- Janq has been stabbed during a fight, in the back, with a pencil...and it hurt like hell

·
Registered
6 Posts
great post. i swear some people are very naive when it comes to knives.
i carry a 3 inch folder and some of my friends will sometimes joke about pulling it out on say, someone acting belligerent in the pool hall or whatever.
i know they're only joking but i always tell them that the only time i will pull out my knife is if i'm using it to cut open a box, or in danger of death and have no other options. and when i do pull it out either me or the attacker or both are going to die. and that's not just some macho attitude, it's just the facts. as soon as a knife comes out, a normal altercation becomes a fight to the death; stakes are automatically elevated.

if i ever get a knife pulled on me, i'm running in the opposite direction as fast as possible. i will do anything i can possibly think of before facing a knife-wielder. knife fights aren't pretty.

that video should be seen by everyone. i don't understand those that think they have a chance barehanded against a knife. anything within reach of that knife is getting shredded. no amount of adrenaline is gonna help when you're staring inside a 6 inch deep and 20 inch long gash. very disturbing pictures.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I would agree 100%, a knife (especially in a trained hand) is not a force to be underestimated. But I am afraid people might also get the wrong impression. A knife is probably one of the most impractical self defense weapons. If forced into a confrontation, I would take a stick/bat/branch/pole or any anther bludgeoning weapon before I pulled my knife. A solid shot to the noggin with a bat would put you into a coma.

That is also an excellent vid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yep if i were forced to defend myself i'd take any other weapon over a knife. i carry a knife but i never really consider it as a self defense weapon. it is only a tool (and quite handy) and not much more.

oh and if you do use a knife you better accept the possibility that it may be used against you at some point in the fight. that's why i'd never use my knife against someone unless it was a use it or die situation.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chen said:
...and if you do use a knife you better accept the possibility that it may be used against you at some point in the fight. that's why i'd never use my knife against someone unless it was a use it or die situation.
+1

I've had a knife pulled on me during a fight twice.
The first time was in 7th grade and I ran like Forrest Gump, and lived to tell MommaJanq about it.
She then taught me some techniques as nearly everything I learned about street fighting came from her who grew up doing nothing but.
The second time was in 10th grade a kid I was scrapping with and who was losing pulled one of those Philipino folding handle jobs from his pocket and went into an open/close/open demo show. Just as momz taught me and we practiced in the living room I immediately stepped to his weak hand side and at the same time kick stomped him in the upper mid thigh hard as I could. The boy dropped in pain like he'd been hit by lightening. Try it on a friend, I kid you not that shit hurts like a mother fucker. In pain/shock the kid dropped his knife, I took it to keep, kicked him again in the balls and left him on the ground holding his shit curled up and wailing.

The time I got stabbed was during a street fight again this time outnumbered 3 on 5 and one kid got behind me. that shirt hurt like hell and I didn't know what hit me but knew somethign wasn't right. I just turned and wooped up on the kid who was stunned and just stood there (his mistake) probably pondering the fact that he'd just stabbed someone. The hole healed over on it's own with time and I was no worst for wear.

I've seen in the streets people fight with knives and try to fight folks open hand with knives. It almost always results in blood letting.
Last time was in '01 while at a club in NoVA a bunch of Honduran guys got roughed off by some stupid BET Black guys (too young to know better that the grown men Hondurans won't be easy to punk like the emo white kids also in the club). A few words are exchanged and next thing you know carpet knives are pulled and the Black kids ballz shrink up to raisin size. Everybody got booted and the po-po came.

The streets don't play nor does it suffer fools lightly.
Be careful out there.

- Janq

"It's dog eat dog world out there. So you fight to live like a cat." - MommaJanq grew up in the old deep south country ghetto style

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
well any weapon you use in a fight can potentially be used against you.

the only tim i would use a knife in combat, is if the guy it was being used on dident know i was there, and even then, i would still take a bat.

·
Registered
134 Posts

If I'm not carrying this on me at the time, I'm running like a little bitch away from a knife fight.
Even if I do have it i'll be seriously contemplating the run like a bitch option. Unless there's a baseball bat around too, then its on like donkey kong, someone's not gonna wake up in the morning when i'm done.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nose Nuggets said:
yeah ill take a bat to knife fight any day lol
One on one, a bat is not hard to defeat and disarm especially if you don't have the element of surprise.

- Janq

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Whoever was wielding the knife on that guy either didn't mean to kill him, or didn't know what he was doing. Spectacular wounds, but superficial. It's deep penetration that kills, not slashing. Looks like maybe the guy ad a straight razor or something that could not penetrate, but would cut open flesh like that.

The saying is, in a knife fight, everyone involved ends up cut. Knife fights scare me. :(

·
Registered
442 Posts
BhamRoadrunner said:

If I'm not carrying this on me at the time, I'm running like a little bitch away from a knife fight.
Even if I do have it i'll be seriously contemplating the run like a bitch option. Unless there's a baseball bat around too, then its on like donkey kong, someone's not gonna wake up in the morning when i'm done.
I have one of those knives. The OIF KaBar. Decent edge for an ornamental knife. I especially liked the use of the phrase "on like donkey kong", though. My PL says that shit ALL THE TIME.

·
Registered
91 Posts
thats the reason police here in nc can shoot you if you are within 20 feet of them with a knife. its crazy how fast someone with a knife can close on you while you try to draw your gun. my old manager was ex pd in nc.

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
Janq, this is an awesome thread and I'm really glad you posted it.

Never realized the damage that can be had by a 3" blade... Thats some good stuff.

I'd def rather be shot than stabbed. When you get shot at least the person is far away from you and can't twist the knife inside of you... you know? A bullet will go straight through you, a knife will cut you!

Again, great thread.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah knives are more dangerous than most people think. I've heard that a knife fight can last from 3 to 5 minutes which is a long time. But in a knife fight you wanna stab not slash.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Janq said:
Just as momz taught me and we practiced in the living room I immediately stepped to his weak hand side and at the same time kick stomped him in the upper mid thigh hard as I could. The boy dropped in pain like he'd been hit by lightening. Try it on a friend, I kid you not that shit hurts like a mother fucker. In pain/shock the kid dropped his knife, I took it to keep, kicked him again in the balls and left him on the ground holding his shit curled up and wailing.
Common Peroneal nerve...... all the pain of a broken leg without the fractured bone. One time when I was sparring in kickboxing I kicked one of my buddies there hard enough to bruise on the opposite side of his leg. That was the first time I ever saw a grown man cry in a sparring match. I've also been on the receiving end of that one more than enough times, not as bad, but I'd rather get punched in the teeth. Still, though, knife comes out, :shock: Shad runs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
my brother who is a police officer always says if someone tries to stab me they are going to look like swiss cheese (talking about unloading on them)

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shad said:
Common Peroneal nerve...... all the pain of a broken leg without the fractured bone...
Learn something new everyday.
I never knew the name or reason for it, but I know sure as shit it hurts and works.

Thanks!

- Janq

1 - 20 of 33 Posts