Gun Forums banner

Kimber vs Springfield

4K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  F22-Raptor 
#1 ·
So what's the verdict?

My local shop doesn't carry Kimbers anymore because of bad experiences with Kimber's customer service. The Springers they have are 800+.

Two of the guys at Cabela's said Kimber was a little better.

I'm going to Cabela's tommorow to buy a Kimber custom for 739.00. Sound like a good deal?

I would really appreciate your input on this one.

Oh yeah I'm selling the pt1911 to a friend. The pistol was a great shooter but it lacked the refinement I thought I didn't care about.

#2 ·
I don't think it matters too much. If I had the choice, which I don't living in MA, I would go Springfield. Before you buy, look at S&W 1911.

What refinements are you looking for that the PT didn't have? If it is a good shooter, you should keep it. are you looking for better slide/frame fit, better accuracy. better finish...etc

#3 ·
Ducman said:
I don't think it matters too much. If I had the choice, which I don't living in MA, I would go Springfield. Before you buy, look at S&W 1911.

What refinements are you looking for that the PT didn't have? If it is a good shooter, you should keep it. are you looking for better slide/frame fit, better accuracy. better finish...etc
A better slide to frame fit, slide serrations that are evenly cut on both sides, better finish, better checkering on the f/s, tighter fittting grip safety, slightly better trigger, better mags, nicer slide stop and better hammer. Taurus is just not the most highly regarded company either.

Don't get me wrong though a pt1911 with night sites for 600 is worth every penny.

#4 ·
I have a friend with a SA 1911... the WWII replica. He uses wilson combat magazines in it and swears by it in terms of reliability.

The reason I don't have a 1911 is due to reliability issues.. So I called him on it and him and I are going to trade pistols (G21 Vs his 1911), 500 round through each when they are slightly dirty... I haven't cleaned my G21 in ages, and I still am certain that it will shoot without any issues... His gun.... I'm very skeptical to say the least.

However, if you want to talk about accuracy, well, the Glock doesn't stand a chance.

#5 ·
Springer has always won my vote. I just don't like Kimbers due to what I've heard and the FTF/E's I've seen at the range.

But, save up, and get a WC. It is better, but not worth that much. It is more for bragging rights.

#8 ·
brucelee said:
I have a friend with a SA 1911... the WWII replica. He uses wilson combat magazines in it and swears by it in terms of reliability.

The reason I don't have a 1911 is due to reliability issues.. So I called him on it and him and I are going to trade pistols (G21 Vs his 1911), 500 round through each when they are slightly dirty... I haven't cleaned my G21 in ages, and I still am certain that it will shoot without any issues... His gun.... I'm very skeptical to say the least.

However, if you want to talk about accuracy, well, the Glock doesn't stand a chance.
Let me know how the results came out. If I had to put my life on two very poorly maintained pistols a loaded 1911 or a Glock 21. I would go for the beatup glock or a beatup SigP220 if available. If all pistols were in top condition I'd take a loaded 1911 hands down. I love my sig and my glock but a good 1911 is what I perform best with.

#9 ·
Id go springfield, those guys at IMBEL in Brazil sure know how to make their guns. But I would have a SIG, Glock, or S&W 99 in 45acp well before the 1911 due to the mag capacity, high center of gravity, weight, grip safety, and internal extractor. The fact is the 1911 is an Edwardian era design, and although popular I feel its more out of nostalgia than anything.

#10 · (Edited)
It's still the pistol I get best results with. I've owned glocks, Sigs, a Ruger 345 and tauruas's berreta 92 knockoff. My full size 1911 is also as easy to conceal if not easier than my little Glock 26. Sure the 1911 pistol has it's faults but so do all others. What counts is that it works for me. Many LE and Military units consider it a superb pistol because its very effective not just nostalgic. I'm not disrespecting your opions just submitting a corteous rebuttal.

#11 ·
I'm just stating its always been an American phenomenon as is the 45acp cartridge it fires. The only other nations to use it were either protectorates of the US or in its realm of influence (South America). Outside of that the only other nation to use it was the UK in the arms shortages of the world wars. However the South American nations and Britain all left it in the dirt for the FN Hi Power in the 50's and 60's.

#12 ·
Adler said:
Id go springfield, those guys at IMBEL in Brazil sure know how to make their guns. But I would have a SIG, Glock, or S&W 99 in 45acp well before the 1911 due to the mag capacity, high center of gravity, weight, grip safety, and internal extractor. The fact is the 1911 is an Edwardian era design, and although popular I feel its more out of nostalgia than anything.
I disagree also. Its popular because it works. There is a reason why the 1911/2011 is the most popluar run shot in USPSA, it has an amazing trigger, points naturally and if well designed and fitted, will run 100%.

The problem with reliability is that everyone and their mother now makes a 1911 and mags there are alot of quality control problems, and since the design relies heavily on the mag, you have alot of issues with out of spec mags.

I have a 1911 with an external extractor, works very well when designed correctly...ie S&W Not Kimber. I have a 2011 with an internal extractor (an Aftec) works awesome.

The 1911 has 35K rounds thru it with the only malfunctions being reloading mistakes or dirty mags.

the 2011 has run 10K with the only failure being reload mistake, dirty mags and mag lips out of spec

#13 ·
I have a Kimber Eclipse and am pretty happy with it overall, but it is picky about what mags and rounds it will operate properly with. I have a Springfield XD and it is a great shooter if you want something that is striker fired and relatively inexpensive, I can't say much for the Springfield 1911 however in that I have only fired about 50 rounds through one that I rented where I shoot. Personally from what I've seen on the pricing of 1911 pistols, the lowest number you find is about $600 for the Taurus. Most of the places near me only carry the Kimbers or the Springfield Loaded 1911s.

#15 ·
Edd said:
Sorry to push this again but who has the edge Springfield or Kimber?
It is hard to say. alot depends on who was fitting the gun that day. Personally I dislike Kimber, mainly because of people that I have delt with in the past thinking that the gun was the best ever made. I do not own either, so this is just a biased opinion. Get the one that you like best, either will run great or may not run great. its kinda a crap shoot these days.

#16 ·
I don't really know that one has an edge over the other so long as the models being compared are similar i.e. Springfield Loaded Custom to a Kimber Custom II or Target II. Both have their ups and downs. It just comes down to a matter of which you like better, and keep in mind you can send either one to Wilson Combat to be fine tuned into your dream pistol.

#17 ·
Well I just did a little research on the net and handling in the shop. The Custom II and Loaded pistols seem to be evenly matched as far as fit, finish and features. The loaded did have an ambi safety but I really don't need that. The Custom II is over 60 bucks cheaper and has a more subtle billboard on the slide which I favor. So I left with the custom II and I'm saving the extra 60 bucks for some vz gatorback grips.

#18 ·
Edd said:
What have you heard and where from?:confused:

Problems with suhpa fast wear. Feed ramps that need replacing. Recoil guides that have cracked. FTCs due to it not being t3h 1337 p0wntin clean gun.

From what I've heard, it is a good range gun, but not something I personally would buy as a means of defending my life. Don't get me wrong, I'd use it until it was a fancy club, but if I had the choice between a Kimber and a Springer, I'd go Springer.

#19 ·
Ducman said:
its kinda a crap shoot these days.

More of a coin toss. You just don't know.

That is unless you have a Glock and M1A. Then you do know. :D

#20 ·
when i was shopping for a 1911 I had my mind made up on a Springfield TRP...until I held it.
It just wasn't that comfortable, almost was too 'sharp' in my hand.
The guy at the shop had also suggested the kimber and indicated that the two models he showed me were pretty much the same yet the kimber was slightly cheaper and in my opinion much more comfortable to hold.

I ended up with the TLE II in stainless...

I did have some FTF issues early on, once I hit the 500 round mark (or so) it's seemed to smoothed out and runs great now.

I do think it's a crock that I should have to run 500 rounds to break it in when other models function properly out of the box. However with those FTF's I learned a bit more about the gun and shooting in general, so I'll chalk that up to learning more about the pistol.

I spend alot of time reading up on this site... http://www.m1911.org/

they have tons and tons of information within the forum, if you need to find out anything about the 1911's you'll find it there.

(from what else I have read, I think that with your question the nod tends to go to the springfield though)

I have no regrets with my kimber purchase.

#23 ·
Well I just hit the range for the first time with my Kimber Custom II. I put 200 rounds of Blazer and a box of Cor Bon 200gr +p through it. Not one malfunction. My brother in law has NEVER shot a gun and he was averaging about 4-5 inch groups at 10 yds with seven shots. I think that shows how easy it is to shoot a 1911 accurately. I also got to get my hands on a S&W airweight snubby in 357. Definitely alot of fun.

#24 ·
On a semi related note... I inspected my friends WWII 1911 replica (SA) today... I have to say, it's a damn nice pistol and I have no idea why I don't own one already (I'm very much into WWII history).

But that's awesome! Great to hear it didn't hiccup at all! Keep it clean, and pointing down range. :D

#25 ·
I tottally agree. The SA GI is well built and alot of fun to shoot. They should have been issued with better sights back then though. I'm sure it would have been a much more effective sidearm for our soldiers. I've noticed the price on the GI's has gone up quite a bit in the past couple years though.

#26 ·
The sights work fine for what the pistol was originally intended to be. It was a VERY close combat last resort. Either to battle your way to get a rifle off someone, or to get to the one you never should have put down as someone once put it. It good for just point shooting. I much prefer the Novak style sights that many have now since a service arm and a defense arm require different, although minimally so components and attributes.

I cant shoot a 1911 worth a damn unless I take a long slow aim. The reason SA GI has creeped up is because the dollar is falling hard and fast on the international market so Springfield has to pay more for each gun that IMBEL makes, and more to get it their due to fuel cost increases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.