Gun Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new Kimber out to the range a couple of times this week, and have a less than glowing report. I've fired a total of 400 rounds through it and had numerous feed failures. I fired 200-250 rounds of Remington UMC FMJ and the rest in Cor Bon DPX. Both types of round exhibited some feeding issues, both rounds, always on chambering the first round. Everything works fine if the slide is racked full stroke, but dropping the slide was problematic whether by dropping the slide release or giving a tug on the slide to bring it rearward of the lock notch to chamber the first round. I had 3 or 4 of the Remington rounds stovepipe when trying to chamber them. The accuracy of the pistol was very good, and there were no ejection or lock-up issues. I'm going to write this off to the gun being picky about ammo and not being fully broken in. I'll take her out again this week to see what she does and if the problems persist, she's getting sent back to Kimber to see if they can rectify the situation. If that proves not to work, I'm going to be back in the market for a .45 ACP pistol probably of the USP variety. BTW, I have the same sorts of issues with my Kimber Eclipse II which has about 900 rounds through it.

· Registered
767 Posts
It usually a mag issue when it won't feed the first round with the slide stop, but will when pulled all the way back. The mag lips may be to tight. what happens is the rim of the case drags against the mag lips, the nose of the bullet nose dives and hits the feed ramp, there is not enough force to get the round to bump up into the chamber

· Premium Member
4,133 Posts
400 rounds is barely broken in.
I'd run atleast 1K rounds of cheap FMJ through it before moving onto anythign else and calling it good, bad,or suxor.

Also do not drop the slide hold (it's not a release) as a means to drop the slide.
Slingshot the slide by pulling it back hard and then let that fucker slam home. You won't harm your gun and you will eliminate the feed problems you described. make this a new habit to develop.

Both of the guns you describe are IIRC relatively tight with narrow tolearnces.
Run the guns in with nothing but cheap FMJ like WWB for atleast 1K rounds then progress to cheap JHP like Winchetser 'Personal Protection' to test toward feeding.
Don't be wasting long dollars on DPX toward testing a basically brand new out the box not yet broken in 1911.

- Janq

· Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Janq said:
400 rounds is barely broken in.
I'd run atleast 1K rounds of cheap FMJ through it before moving onto anythign else and calling it good, bad,or suxor.

Also do not drop the slide hold (it's not a release) as a means to drop the slide.
Slingshot the slide by pulling it back hard and then let that fucker slam home. You won't harm your gun and you will eliminate the feed problems you described. make this a new habit to develop.

Both of the guns you describe are IIRC relatively tight with narrow tolearnces.
Run the guns in with nothing but cheap FMJ like WWB for atleast 1K rounds then progress to cheap JHP like Winchetser 'Personal Protection' to test toward feeding.
Don't be wasting long dollars on DPX toward testing a basically brand new out the box not yet broken in 1911.

- Janq
Duly noted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.