Gun Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Fanatical Feline
5,275 Posts
Alright, I grabed one. Most of them have had there marks ground off as russian captures. Cleaning rods gone on all of them like normal. Some have very large trigger guards that ive never seen before, some have sight guards, some have stamped parts and some have millled. So its a wide range.

As for markings.. This one has them intact.

WAFFENEABARIK
MAUSER A.G
OBERNDORF a/f

Im cleaning it up now, il post pics in a little bit.

They are rough.. then agian, they are better than I expected with only a small crack in the stock.

· Premium Member
7,388 Posts
If the ones with the large trigger guards also have a stamped floor plate they are Czech in origin.

Those are the K98K model, the extra K is for Kriegsmodell. Usually they have a different bolt as well. The bolt will have round gas vent holes drilled instead of milled out oval ones. They will also lack the bolt guide rib on the bolt body. Also they usually do not have the bolt take down disc in the stock.

I know, because my K98 is a K98K. SAMCO Global has them in stock. They tend to be rough finished but damned straight shooters.

2,980 Posts
Adler said:
If the ones with the large trigger guards also have a stamped floor plate they are Czech in origin.

Those are the K98K model, the extra K is for Kriegsmodell. Usually they have a different bolt as well. The bolt will have round gas vent holes drilled instead of milled out oval ones. They will also lack the bolt guide rib on the bolt body. Also they usually do not have the bolt take down disc in the stock.

I know, because my K98 is a K98K. SAMCO Global has them in stock. They tend to be rough finished but damned straight shooters.
Please write a history book, I seriously would buy it.

Are the round gas holes better than oval ?

· Premium Member
7,388 Posts
mattxander12 said:
Please write a history book, I seriously would buy it.

Are the round gas holes better than oval ?

Nope, the changes were made to allow for easier production. They work the same. The bolt feels sloppier when you cycle it because it lacks the bolt guide, but it locks up just as tight.

If a publisher would pay me enough to write one, I would so do it.

· Premium Member
7,388 Posts
It has definitely bee rearsenaled a few times. it has the bolt guide on it so it should be a K98K bolt and not a Kriegsmodell.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.