Gun Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first off, what's the deal with the sniper rifles. What's the max range on a good one, how accurate are they, and what are some good rifles to get. Second, what kind of gear do you need to get? Lastly, is it worth travelling for the big events, or is it pretty much just a "do it in your area with your friends" kind of passtime.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I used to be both an active Airsoft player and Paintball player, and although I prefered Paintball much better Airsoft had it's pluses.

I belive that the 'sniper rifles' are all operated on Spring, no electronics are allowed, and most airsoft 'gun's operate at 300fps while a 'sniper rifle' operates at 400fps... I might be wrong about this, but I think it's a rule you have to be X feet back from your opponent before you shoot them with a 'sniper rifle'.

Airsoft is cheap since you can get a good 'gun' for about $300-$400 and a kabillion BB's for about $5-$10. They're generally accurate, and I belive that they work on a 'hop up' system which puts a backspin on the BB and makes it fly further, although they tend to 'float' up. I've had experiences where my batteries would run out and I'd have to sit out for an hour while they recharged (although I'm sure the battery's have advanced since then).

The gear you'll need are goggles (any ballistic goggle) and a 'gun', BB's, spare batteries, and whatever else you'd like. I've been to a few large scaled 1000 person events before, but honestly I never got the feeling of 'combat' like I've had with MILES and Paintball. If you have friends who play locally that's awesome, although the large events are nice because they have BBQ's and you can get to know people better.

A lot of times I never felt the impact of a BB when people were fairly far away, and there's no way to prove that the person was actually hit... this is why I prefer paintball better. Fearing a larger sting = more realistic gameplay.

I'd recommend purchasing a semi/full auto airsoft 'gun' before you invest in a single shot 'sniper rifle'. It's more fun dodging BB's and getting in on the action... I've never had any luck with the 'sniper rifles' nor did I think they were much fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
umm sniper rifles range from 280- to how ever high u can get it!! i think the strongest ive heard u can get it is 500fps....but im thinking u need some major upgrades...Tokyo Mauri has a PSG1 thats semi auto..or u can just upgrade a CA G3 and put a scope on it or barret rifle (costly) the Dragunov is the srongest spring sniper stock but expensive... (...ive never been to a games since the field is far.......as for gear.......i would go to wat fits....lik...since i live in nevada i would wear some desert camo....or SWAT it all depends on u...

heres a website

https://www.evike.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=W&Category_Code=SNIPERRIFLES

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Best advice I got is if you can get over to a reputable airsoft store they will let you shoot anything they got on the wall displays and give you a rundown of the local airsoft skirmish scene.

Most of what you're asking will be structured by the event itself. Full face mask or tactical goggles, BDU pattern types, FPS limits. The goggles and fps requirements will actually help you figure out what will be best for you in a particular game. Basically I'd hate to recomend the Tanaka M700 that shoots 620 fps outta the box, when an event you may be interested in is limited to 500 fps and thus you'd be screwed.

wut am bestest gun? hard to say. The gun with the most 3rd party after market upgrades wins in my book. If you think about it airsoft is 80% looks anyway. Most perform about the same stock. Hopefully you can find a decent local store. You'll be able to compare different guns side by side.

And finally on airsoft sniping.. Recon had good advice about getting an AEG. You can actually upgrade them to some "sniper" type level but you'll also be able to "bb hose" the opposition as well. Look at it this way, depending on who, where and the FPS rules your playing under, you will probably not have enough time or space to act as a true Mil Sniper. The best you'd be relegated to is a role of a static SWAT style sharshooter.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another thing I'm wondering about, what's the difference between the different types of airsoft guns. By this I mean, what's the performance differences from spring, gas, and electric.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Spring: You have to recock the weapon every time you want to fire it. Cheap gas station/K-Mart airsoft guns are usually spring. Some very nice $400+ sniper rifles are spring.

Gas: Uses a form of Propane; mostly used in pistols and some Uzi-styles.

Electric: Also known as AEG; they're the most popular form since the battery has a good lifetime, can be recharged for free, and allows for semi/full/auto firing or whatever else the weapon is set to.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Shad said:
Another thing I'm wondering about, what's the difference between the different types of airsoft guns. By this I mean, what's the performance differences from spring, gas, and electric.
To add on to what MrRecon has already stated...

Gas guns require less moving parts than electric ones. Electric guns contain motors with gears and springs and stuff while gas guns are more like paintball guns in the way they work

Also, gas guns have a tendency to be louder than elelectric guns.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
On a side note, gas guns are generally less reliable than electrics.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
But not always, some of them are better than others. We have a CO2 Sigma .40 that has never been cleaned, and has never failed to fire, it hasn't even misfired. On the other hand, we have electrics that have been riddled with problems since we got them. Alot of it depends on if you get a gun that was made on a Friday, or a Monday. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
ok so I am really into airsoft, so I can help you. Here are the different types of airsoft guns that are available.

Gas blowback pistol
Gas non-blowback pistol
Gas revolver
Gas auto pistol (uzi, mac 11)
Gas Sniper
Gas shotgun

Spring pistol
Spring assault rifle
Spring sniper
Spring shotgun

Electric assault rifle
Electric pistol

And then you have the low end guns called LPEGS

These are electric, but they suck hardcore. WELL and CYMA are the most renouned LPEGS

GAS:
the gas is called green gas or red gas (called hfc 22) depending on how much pressure they put out. They are loaded into the mag from a large bottle. this green gas is very suseptible to weather. too cold, and the gas just doesn't expand and the gun does not work.

Often called a GBB for Gas Blow Back, The blowbacks have kick which add to realism, but they use gas like there is no tomorrow. there are also co2 versions which are better for cold weather (use those little co2 cartriges). also revolvers load the gas into the gun and you just load the bbs into either special brass cartriges or right into the revolver chambers.

Spring:
Cheap, reliable. Spring guns need to be cocked each time, but you can easily upgrade them. just replace the spring and maybe the locking mechanism if it is plastic. You can buy a UTG spring sniper for $100 and upgrade it to around 500 fps for less that $20. Usually the semi cheap but still usable guns (pistols and rifles) are springs cause theres no moving parts but they still shoot bbs at a decent rate. (these are mostly for backyard wars or for using a sniper rifle).

ELECTRIC:
AEGs (Auto Electric Gun) are the most popular for the reasons already stated about no gas (cold is no problem) batteries are free to charge, and their high rate of fire. you can upgrade the spring in electric guns to get a higher fps therefore more distance, but once you modify an AEG, you severly hinder the life of your gun. the gearbox and motor may not be able to handle the stress the spring puts on it. you may even crack the gearbox. to solve this problem various companies have lots of "reinforced" gearboxes, gears, and pistons. Star airsoft even has a polymer gearbox that is supposedly indestructible.

the batteries come in various sizes and lengths. Mini, Large, Stick, and custom shapes. Come in Voltages from about 7.2 all the way to 12 if you want. the highter the voltage, the faster the motor will spin giving you higher RPMs. they also come in various MaH (amount of juice the battery has). for example you could have 3 600 mha batteries and that would last you a full day, or maybe 2 1300 mha batts. or for large, you can have one 2000 mha battery that will last you at least a day, or like mine a 3800 mha battery that can shoot till the end of the world. I have probably shot around 15000 rounds on one charge with my battery and it is still going strong.

With your position, I would suggest 3 options.

1. Cheap. a UTG M87 spring Shotgun. they have adjustable hop up and shoot stock about 280 fps so you can compete with stock aegs.

$35 www.shortyusa.com

2. Sniper. A UTG M324 spring rifle. This rifle is great from what I have heard. comes with rail for a sniper scope. can be upgraded with a new spring fairly easily. (scorpion airsoft is a good place for springs)

$99 www.shortyusa.com

3. Reliable AEG. Tokyo Marui AK 47 spetnaz. Really reliable AEG with decent battery capacity and large bb capacity. decent accuracy, and compact for CQB.

not sure on price, but you can get them from scorpion airsoft.
www.scorpionairsoft.com

you can email them for a quote on just about anything you can ever think of that has to do with airsoft at [email protected]

or you can go to www.utahairsoft.com and post something in the "ask scorpion" section. Andy or Dook is who you should talk to.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gas Reliablity

the gas guns are REALLY unreliable since if u got and it too cold u can't play cause the gas compresses and it will give what 4-5 shots out of every mag then u have to wait to get them warm again thats why i got the TM MP7A1 cause its basically a pistol but electrics dont get effected by weather as much as gas but ive only seen three types of AEP (Automatic Electric Pitols) TM MP7A1, G18C, and M93RII

1 - 12 of 12 Posts