Gun Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want something that is small, but has a decent barrel and isn't an MP5. I want something that has a decent FPS too.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Well your gonna get a bunch of answers with the little you have given us for info. Budget, possible fps limts, gas or electric. Will you be playing a large event like CQB Challenge or simular? Do you have a preference in looks? 90% of airsoft guns is all about looks, they all shoot 6mm or 8mm plastic bb's and the performance difference out of decent airsoft guns isn't really that far off (i.e. a 600+ fps bolt action gas sniper does not neccesarily outrange a 400+ fps select fire AEG in the field.)

FPS out of box and reliabilty/upgradeabilty in alot of cases are not related when you talk about airsoft.

Are you near a walk-in airsoft store like AEX? You can go into one of them and try anything you want and make up your own mind.

CQB there's tons of choices. Select fire GBB pistols, GBB SMG's, AEG's, AEP's.

The only thing I'd suggest for now is look at brands that have high reliabilty and 3rd party repair and upgrades parts available. Tokyo Marui, Classic Army for AEG's. Western Arms, Tokyo Marui, KSC/KWA, Maruzen for GBB pistols and SMG's. As far as specifc gun within each manufacturers line they all got a bunch so it's a personal preference.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
LOL nah. Bruce forced that tag on me!!! <<<shakes fist>>>

But seriously you always see some guy ask these open ended type of questions and a crapload of people recommend the 1 or 2 guns they have had experience with. Which aren't neccessarily good suggestions for the specifc person

I'd rather suggest they go to a place where they can find out on their own if possible, since there are now more and more decent airsoft retailers and tons of info already out there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I dont know what u consider small ? to alot of people an m4 is small, in that case you can go with the classic army m4 cqb. its a little heavy, but its effing sweet. Or the Tokyo m4 Cqb is a little cheaper, but it lacks in stock power.

Tokyo is around 280-300
Classic is arond 310-330

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Yeah see that's the problem from the original post. It's a very open ended question.

The fps advice was somewhat accurate. TM M4's are 270-280fps stock only. So you could expand on that advice and say the TM Line is 270-300fps (The M14 and Type89 are in teh 300fps range) while CA, G&G, G&P and STAR lines range stock in the 300-320fps range. But you shoudl add the disclaimer: CA, G&G, G&P and STAR acheive the higher fps by putting a stronger spring in the gear box. They do not neccessarily upgrade the gearset or other internals though, so the end results is the higher tensions spring may cause other parts of the gearbox to fail more quickly then a TM AEG with lower FPS.

But this opens up a crapload of "CQB" non MP5 AEG's that can be chosen from. TM P90, G3SAS, MP7; G&G or STAR UMP; While I like my M4's, personally I don't consider mine when used for CQB. But if this is the posters first AEG, then the M4 will serve them well in a bunch of situations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that the Classic Army G36c will be my choice, does anyone have any experience on one of these? I kinda changed my mind, I was wanting to get an CA M4 if the G36c isn't that great.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
In the Tokyo Marui series the M4/M16 uses the version 2 gearbox. The TM AK and G36 series uses a more later designed version 3 gearbox. The version 3 gearbox is a more reliable consistent setup then the version 2.

So for CA since they are copies of the TM they follow suit. Personally the CA G36c is a nice gun but a bit of a rougher quality build then the TM. The bodies are plastic on both of them, so it's not like the dif between a TM M4 (plastic body) and CA M4 (metal body) . But it's great for an all around gun.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think the m4 is the greatest airsoft gun. YOU CAN LITERALLY DO ANYTHING TO THEM. there are so many upgrades, mods and conversion kits for them its insane. And they are easy to find used if you dont wanna pay full price.

My freind has the CA G36, and he said its a pain to get the battery in and out. Other then that, he said it was a great gun.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
my favorate aspect of the M4's is the standardisation of the mag. all the car's, m4's and m16's and so on and so forth use almost identicle mags. so when im playing, and having a particularly triggy happy session, i can allways grab a spare mag of a buddy.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
The TM Type 89, Star L85 and the future FNC's and SCAR's should also be STANAG compliant on the magazines. M16 mags for eveyone!!!

I do find the fake bullets in the lowcap TM P90 and G36c Mags quite sexy. Plus no "maracas" "i don't want my teammate with noist magazines" hihighcap mag action.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard that the foregrips on some brands of M4 wobble? The gun that I am getting isn't for me, it's for my brother and he wants a G36, since alot of my friends have M4s.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
For future reference, the CA G36C totally pwns the TM. I've held both, I personally own a CA (which I may be selling some time in the near future), and I'd never buy a TM.

Actually, now that I think about it... The only TM gun I can think of that I DID like when I held it was the P90. (Oh, and the MP7) The FAMAS is just a general piece of crap (build quality wise), the AK squeaks too much if you wiggle anything, the G36 just doesn't look "real" in comparison the the CA, etc, etc.

Back to the topic at hand though... IF you can find mags for it (which is a huge if, I haven't been able to yet, at least, not from a reputable retailer), I highly recommend the Maruzen MP5-K. Although many people have complaints about it (poor build quality, can't take Green gas, low power, etc), it is by far the funnest gun I've ever shot. It has an insane ROF, and it's just a blast to shoot.

If you don't like that option, and you don't have any FPS limits wherever you play, my next recommendation would be the KWC CO2 Sigma .40F (make sure it's the deluxe version with metal slide and all that). It's an awesome gun, especially for the money, although mags are a bit pricey (about $40 each). On the other hand, it shoots ~450 FPS out of the box (haven't had a chance to chrono mine yet, gotta do that someday), it's extremely durable, you pretty much never have to clean it (although I'm not saying you shouldn't. ;) ), it's fairly accurate for a pistol, and it hurts like nothing else. (and that's the important thing, right?) :D

Finally, if neither one of those works for you, so far, I'm liking my KWA Glock 18C. (Although, I got the uber-upgraded one from ASGI) Although I did have some trouble with it at first, that seems to have gone away now, I may have just needed to break it in a little or something. Beyond the fact that it's full auto, I can't really think of anything special about it, it's just fun to shoot. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd love to own a Sigma, but I've never seen any in stock in the stores that I have seen. I kinda like some of the TM ones, like the P90 and their MP7. I have also not seen the Maruzen MP5k in stock anywhere. I am not going to get the guns from chinese/japenese based sites because of shipping. I want to get something from an American based site. I am getting a CA G36c and later on an MP7 or (if I can find it in America) the KWC CO2 Sigma for my brother. I am thinking about getting an G36c myself.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
MP7's are in stock in the U.S. (AEX has them) But keep in mind they are a AEP (Automatic Electric pistol), no where near as powerful or upgradeable as an AEG or GBB SMG. GBB SMG's are great for showing off, but the cool down effect on the mag in Full Auto, make their performance questionable if it's your primary weapon in skirmishes.

Bottom line is if you skirmish against peeps with AEG's, you should get an AEG.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Get your brother the CA G36C, and yourself the Sigma, trust me. ;)

By the way, if you're lucky, you can find the Sigma at Wal-mart, (make sure it's not the clear plastic one) or if you have one around you (they may be a local store for all I know) Softair Depot. That is NOT a recommendation for Softair Depot, by the way, I'm just saying you may be able to find it there. Or possibly at Jungletoy, if there's one near you that currently sells something that's not a piece of crap. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts