Gun Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Adler said:
Yes but like you said, the internal ones need more tuning and maintenance. Also if you drop it on a round in the chamber, you knock a lot of them out of whack.

Like you said, it needs more TLC. I am hoping to build a 38 super /9mm gun using Caspian parts this year, and will opt for their external extractor setup I think.
Go with a aftec extractor, they work awesome, I have them in both my race guns

·
Registered
317 Posts
brucelee said:
<snip>... It packs more punch than 10mm does! /<snip>
I guess we'll have to go out and shoot some bowling pins and see how it does against my Glock 20 w/that new uber-hot 200g. stuff!

As far as sights go, I like the Novak design sights myself, and Novak or Novak-style night sights are available from Trijicon.

As to how to get that front sight off, man I haven't a clue.

Congrats on the purchase though, the 1911-style pistol I'd like to own one day is an SVI racegun in .40....just like the one on the bottom of the cover of this gunrag (it's an SWF page, so you will need to zoom-in to see it well):

http://www.harrisoutdoorgroup.com/customcombat.swf

- CDR Ernest E. Evans, USN, October 27, 1943, at USS JOHNSTON's commissioning

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 1911 design does not tolerate loading a round in the chamber and dropping the slide on it. It is true that the internal extractors will get torqued, but the external extractor claws will get damaged also.

This design needs the rounds to feed into the chamber from the magazine period. I lost count how many times I had to replace customers internal extractors and recently, external ones.
Out of a dozen plus 1911s over the past 30 some years I’ve always loaded one in the chamber, dropped the slide lock, and put the magazine in. To this day I’ve never had a failure. I also only lube the rails a little more than my Glocks. The more oil the more crud gets collected. With most finishes today the extra lubrication isn’t needed

21 - 25 of 25 Posts