Gun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

As some of you know I just purchased my first 1911 which is a full size 5" .45 SA Loaded model. Being a polymer guy my whole life I've never had the chance to really play around with 1911s other than shooting them on occasion.

I am very unfamiliar with these guns as they are polar opposites of the guns I'm used to. I'm used to my guns eating any ammo that is under the sun without problems at all, barely cleaning/lubing my glocks unless they are FILTHY and even then you barely do anything to clean them and little oil is used. So, onto the questions!

1. For my model, what are my ammo choices from low to high.

2. Hollow points and other defensive rounds, am I safe using them? (I've heard a mix of reviews with this)

3. How often does the gun need to be cleaned? (Like I said, I'm used to shooting about a thousand or more rounds before I clean my Glocks or XD)

4. When I field strip the gun, how much oil is typically recommended after I clean the gun? Glocks use barely any so I'm not sure if its like that with 1911s also or not... :confused:

5. High(er) capacity magazines. Is Wilson Combat the only good choice for 10 rounders? I've heard some horror stories regarding magazines anything from not feeding, not seating in the gun properly to just literally falling apart, and obviously I'd like to avoid that all together so I want to do this right from the get go.

6. Sights... Man, talk about different worlds with sights! :eek: Currently I have 3 dot Novak sights that are pretty damn nice, however, I'd REALLY love to have some Trijicon night sights for this gal. How difficult is it to remove that crazy front sight? Rear looks pretty straight forward but the front looks like a bizatch! I'm not going to change them if its going to cost an arm and a leg since the current sights are very nice already, but if its an easy fix I figured I might do it later down the road.

So there it is, all my questions. Sorry for being such a n00b but this gun is totally alien to me, so I can't WAIT to learn more about it, "inside and out". ;) That is our motto after all. :D I'll be taking it down to the range on Sunday to try it out... I'll try to capture some video for my gunnies! :D

Thanks guys, you're the best!

PS: Post pics of your 1911s in this thread! Include any details that you can conjure up! :D

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
The 1911 is a different animal alright, and to be honest really the ammo and mag preferences will vary from gun to gun on these.

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I wonder if it will fire the Aguila .45 I have stockpiled?

I have a TON of this stuff and it works GREAT in my .45 guns... It packs more punch than 10mm does! This is the hottest .45 round I've ever fired... The muzzle flash is a huge blue fireball! :lol: My friends are always caught off guard by it cuz they are used to regular .45. Its also quite a bit more audible too.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If it's hard ball like in the photo it will feed it no problem. If it really is hot you might need a stiffer recoil spring. I am by no means an expert so take my opinions with a gran of salt.

1 You are just going to have to shoot it and see what it likes.
2 Shoot them and try them out if it reliably feeds them you are fine.
3 I don't really have a hard and fast rule on cleaning. On my carry gun I clean it after every practice session. I wouldn't want build up to make it jam or malfunction if I ever needed it. On my custom built gun I don't clean it as often.
4 I lube the barrel where it contacts the bushing, the slide where it rides on the frame rails and the slide stop where it contacts the barrel link.
5 I have never had a problem with Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick mags.
6 Sights are a personal preference thing. I really like the MMC rear sight on my custom gun.

And now I will whore up your thread with picks of m Springfield.

I don't think your questions are nobish at all. I wish I would have had a resource like this when I bought m first 1911 10-12 years ago.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh and while my gun looks like yours it started life as a basic ordinance steel 1911-A1 and was customized by JB Custom after I bought it. I really like the new loaded guns as they come with most of the trick/reliability stuff done to them already. Saves you lots of money.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Yeah the gun was designed for FMJ ammo and it will work with any type of that. JHP ammo will vary in accuracy and reliability. However, Powerball and Federal EFMJ ammo will work flawlessly.

·
... the aristocrats
1,020 Posts
I've always heard that there is no such thing as over-oiling a 1911 but they don't respond well to grime. Basically clean and oil every time

Mind you I don't own one, but that is the consistent message I have heard

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Oh they do handle grime well, but have to be looser than shit to do it. I have seen them shoot full of sand. But they rattled like a can of marbles when you shook them. They shot 4 inches at 25 yards. Of course they were 65 + year old Colts that had been through 3 wars.

·
Gunatics Trusted Vendor brokenarrowtactical.com
1,809 Posts
Just think of the 1911 as a aficionado's pistol. Treat / take care of it like a Harley Davidson or a muscle car and it will be fine.

The 1911s will not tolerate abuse (not cleaning for hundreds of rounds) like the newer/modern pistol designs. If you treat your gun like your lawnmower, then the Glock is the clear choice.

The areas that need to be lubed for proper 1911 functioning -
* Around the exterior of the barrel / bushing interface
* Slide rails
* Top of the disconector
* Hammer face
* The most important part to keep lubed is the top of the barrel hood (because this is the highest friction point on the gun, since this area rubs against the slide).

I use Wilson's Ultimate grease or 10-8 Performance lube in my 1911s and customers 1911s that I have built.

At times, the feed ramp, chamber, and breach face needs some polishing for reliability.

Also, the extractor and slide stop at times needs some tuning for 100% reliability.

·
1,809 Posts
brucelee said:
I wonder if it will fire the Aguila .45 I have stockpiled?

I have a TON of this stuff and it works GREAT in my .45 guns... It packs more punch than 10mm does! This is the hottest .45 round I've ever fired... The muzzle flash is a huge blue fireball! :lol: My friends are always caught off guard by it cuz they are used to regular .45. Its also quite a bit more audible too.

This stuff will be fine for your 1911. I chronoed this stuff and it was hot for Hardball 230 gr stuff. Average of 867 fps. for ten shots. Double Taps 200 gr. FP-FMJ loads hit 1285fps out of my Bar-Sto barreled Glock 20.

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you very much gentlemen!

I will keep this gun as clean as possible.

I bought this gun as a "fancy gun", or "show gun"... I'd never use it in a defense situation, EVER, but I still want it to shoot super reliable regardless. I took it apart the other day and it was very difficult to toy around with since it was brand new and everything was still as hell... I'm hoping that changes in the future.

Man, it's funny how different my usual guns are compared to this beast! I have many rifles and even my most opposite rifles are similar in some way in terms of care, etc... But the 1911 Vs my Poly pistols is like night an day!

I'm really glad I bit the bullet and got a 1911 finally... I almost bought another GLOCK 21 that I was going to tune to be a very reliable target gun... The GLOCK 36 crossed my mind as well since Ive been wanting that gun since it came out... But having more than a half dozen glocks, it was time to get something drastically different, and the 1911 A1 fit the bill. :D

Not to mention the whole Hitman factor... :D I'm going to build a new "hitman case" and do a photoshoot with the gun sometime soon, I think you guys will get a kick out of it... :D

Also, tomorrow Im heading to the range where I will take some pictures of VIDEO of the Glock 21 Vs the 1911 A1... Obviously the 1911 will kill the Glock in accuracy, but thats pretty much it.

I love the fact that on a 1911 you can put bullets through the same hole pretty often... :D Makes me very :D :D

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All this talking makes me want to whore out pictures!

(Anyone else with 1911s, post some pics!!!)

Pretty close, eh?

·
1,809 Posts
One thing to consider when using a 1911 for self defense is that the owner / operator needs to be somewhat like an armorer just to make sure the 1911 is in tip top shape. Can the 1911 be a reliable weapon for self defense.... yes it can, but the owner / operator has to provide more T.L.C. to ensure it is good to go.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
BrokenArrow said:
One thing to consider when using a 1911 for self defense is that the owner / operator needs to be somewhat like an armorer just to make sure the 1911 is in tip top shape. Can the 1911 be a reliable weapon for self defense.... yes it can, but the owner / operator has to provide more T.L.C. to ensure it is good to go.
Especially the extractor. It is really the weak link in the gun's design. The Hi Power originally had one as well. They ditched it in favor of an external one in 61 or 62.

·
1,809 Posts
The internal extractor of the 1911 is archaic (bent piece of metal), but it does work. Many of the newer external extractors on "new" type 1911s really just equal the old internal style.

The only external extractor that gave real problems were the Kimber ones. So many external extractor Kimbers went back for warrenty work that they ditched that design and went back to the old internal ones.

The key is the material used and the consistency of the temper on these internal extractors. Then it has to be tuned by a competent smith for 100% reliability.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Yes but like you said, the internal ones need more tuning and maintenance. Also if you drop it on a round in the chamber, you knock a lot of them out of whack.

Like you said, it needs more TLC. I am hoping to build a 38 super /9mm gun using Caspian parts this year, and will opt for their external extractor setup I think.

·
1,809 Posts
The 1911 design does not tolerate loading a round in the chamber and dropping the slide on it. It is true that the internal extractors will get torqued, but the external extractor claws will get damaged also.

This design needs the rounds to feed into the chamber from the magazine period. I lost count how many times I had to replace customers internal extractors and recently, external ones.

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BrokenArrow said:
The 1911 design does not tolerate loading a round in the chamber and dropping the slide on it. It is true that the internal extractors will get torqued, but the external extractor claws will get damaged also.

This design needs the rounds to feed into the chamber from the magazine period. I lost count how many times I had to replace customers internal extractors and recently, external ones.

Not that I would ever do that with the 1911, or any other gun really except for my shotguns... But its good to know, thanks for the info. (Cuz my friends do stupid shit sometimes, lol)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts