Gun Forums banner

Do you hunt?

Hunters!

6K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  camshaftprelube 
#1 ·
I know this isn't an exclusively shotgun topic, but that's what I prefer to hunt with, because of what I prefer to hunt.

I LOVE bird hunting, upland game, grouse etc. I also deer hunt. I won't shoot a rabbit though, as the last time I did we didn't eat it, and I felt bad.

I have a 12 and a 20 gauge Winchester 1200, the 12 is a Magnum, with the lead weighted stock and 3" chamber. I prefer carrying the 20, since it's lighter. I mostly hunt in dense forest, so range isn't a big deal for me.

So, how about it, do you hunt, and if yes, what?

#2 ·
I hunt anything that moves. lol I prefer pheasent grouse and turkey. But Squirrels wabbits and what not are fun also.

for Birds I us a beretta teknya 2o
rem 1100 12
charles Daly O/U 28
ceaser gurini O/U 28
ithica sxs 410

Wabbits and squirrels I use rem 870 20
moss 500 20
ithica 37 16

For turkeys I use moss 835 12's (my babies) I got 4 of them now lol
I have a turkey special in some ugly ass camo with undertaker choke and Burris 1.5-5x turkey scope
A Grand slam with advantage 3d camo with brielly super x full choke and leupold cqt site
And I just picked up the new 835 Tactical turkey in real tree and the thumbhole turkey in mossy oak. I haven't gotten to scopes yet I'm thinking either nikon or acog for these boys.

For deer i use either a 1100 smoothbore or I also have another plain jane moss 835 with a rifled barrel.
You may nor be able to tell but I have a thing for mossbergs lol

#4 ·
Goin on a pheasant hunt here in the next 3 weeks cant wait. I took an old side by side last time. It was hard, this time the trusty 870 pump. If you've never hunted upland birds with a shotgun than you are definantly not an all around hunter. Argue all you want. Most of you know what i'm talking about.

#5 ·
I've hunted pheasant once, on a reserve. The weren't free range birds. We hunted over a Pointer, with a guide. I don't think I'd do it again, or certainly not pay for it again. The birds are so slow (again, I'm used to hunting partridge/ruffed grouse) that we were hitting them too early and it was ugly. My father and brother had 12ga pumps and I had my 20, and the guide said I was the only one being sporting. There was a TON of shot in those birds when we cleaned them up.

#6 ·
when i lived back east i when deer, duck and goose hunting at age of 14 - really didnt have the attention span for it then.

from that i picked up a luv for skeet and trap shooting - at age 15 i was shooting in competitions. the first season i was the only one with a 870 pump - so i got a cheapie over under, while my dad got a uber expensive over under.

#7 ·
I only just started hunting last year, pretty late in life. Kinda wanted to see what the big deal was about it, and my brother in law who is a great guy is an avid hunter, and I moved to Maine and I'm pretty sure if you don't hunt up here they put a rainbow sticker on your car.

So I've hunted deer a few times (no luck yet) and ruffled grouse a bunch. Grouse hunting is fun. THis season I went and bought a Stoeger 20 guage side-by-side because I just like the look of a double, it's traditional, and hell if I can't hit the bird in 2 shots, he deserves to get away. :)

It was cheap, around $300, and has removable chokes, comes with modified and improved cylinder I think.

Anyway, I love it, it's a great field gun, I can scrape it along, get it muddy, crawl with it, toss it in the brush, and not feel bad. It shoots to point of aim, and goes band every single time I pull the trigger (excepting the first 50 rounds, sometimes it would light strike the primer)

That said, I almost never go out on my own to hunt, it's usually with freinds/family.

My deer gun is a Ruger No.1 in 30-06.

#10 ·
I hunt as much as possible. I primarily hunt big game. I've hunted deer, black bear, and elk, and plan on hunting moose, caribou, dall sheep, and brown bear within the next year or two. I've done fairly well with elk, and deer. If I don't fill my tags its normally because I get picky. I hunt with a savage 30.06, a ruger 300win. mag, and another 300win. mag built for long range shots. This last season was my first year to try inline muzzleloading. I enjoyed it for the most part.

#15 ·
My dad and grandfather hunted deer, duck, geese, pheasant, antelope, and dove. Their annual deer hunting trip to Colorado/Montano/Idaho (depended on where they wanted to go that year) was always when I was in school so I never became a deer hunter.

I did take up bird hunting and enjoyed it for many years as a teenager and young adult. It's juts me and my dad now, and with the screwed up rules they imposed out here in Kalifornia, it's harder than ever to get drawn for a blind at the nearby reservations. We're lucky if we get to go duck/goose hunting once a year. But we do make it a point to go out for opening day of dove season. However, since I only get to shoot trap a couple of times a year, I can't hit those rather quick and small dove for squat. ;)

When bird hunting I use my grandfather's old SKB over and under 12 gauge. I used it when I used to shoot competition trap and I absolutely love this gun. For dove I usually switch to my Browning Auto 5 12 gauge since I usually need that third shot. :p

#19 ·
When im on my dads land he has in dahlonega... I mainly hunt glass bottles, TV's, computers and anything else you can think of but sometimes we spray into the river at fish we see swimming :laugh:

I also am a deer hunter.. and anything else that happens... to get in the way on a slow day.

#20 ·
Since getting into wingshooting, I've had the chance to hunt dove. I would really like to travel out west and get some pheasant.

Anyone know some good places in Georgia to hunt wild quail? There are a few farms here who raise them and have guided hunts, but I would really like to find some wild ones...

Baldwin County used to be a great county for quail, but coyotes and bobcats have really hurt the population.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.