Gun Forums banner

Do you hunt?

Hunters!

6K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  camshaftprelube 
#1 ·
I know this isn't an exclusively shotgun topic, but that's what I prefer to hunt with, because of what I prefer to hunt.

I LOVE bird hunting, upland game, grouse etc. I also deer hunt. I won't shoot a rabbit though, as the last time I did we didn't eat it, and I felt bad.

I have a 12 and a 20 gauge Winchester 1200, the 12 is a Magnum, with the lead weighted stock and 3" chamber. I prefer carrying the 20, since it's lighter. I mostly hunt in dense forest, so range isn't a big deal for me.

So, how about it, do you hunt, and if yes, what?

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I've hunted pheasant once, on a reserve. The weren't free range birds. We hunted over a Pointer, with a guide. I don't think I'd do it again, or certainly not pay for it again. The birds are so slow (again, I'm used to hunting partridge/ruffed grouse) that we were hitting them too early and it was ugly. My father and brother had 12ga pumps and I had my 20, and the guide said I was the only one being sporting. There was a TON of shot in those birds when we cleaned them up.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
yeah, if/when I start hunting down here in GA I may have to get a new rifle...in NH I hunt primarily in close woods, so the shots are short and the .257 Roberts is fine. But down here they have more fields etc, and the shots could be longer. We'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.