Gun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, I'm a boresnake slut. I like the smell of Hoppes a lot, but I really like M Pro7 as a cleaner. So I soak a small rag in hoppes and clean the guns with the M Pro 7 :)

Tried Breakfreee CLP, but it smelled so horrible I chucked it out.

Gun maintenance must be a pleasant olfactory experience! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I use Hoppes to clean the chambers and any other fouled part except the bbl. For the bbl I use Outer's foaming bore cleaner then run a few passes with an Otis cleaning kit. I then oil with Otis' CLP equivalent and put a small amount of Hoppes oil on a boresnake and run that through to give the bbl a thin coating of oil. For quick range cleanings I just run a dry boresnake through a couple times, then run the boresnake with some Hoppes oil through it once.

Hey Jamz, congrats on being the first to achieve Gunatics Guru. 8)

-Chris

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
I'm a boresnake slut as well...

How many times do you guys pass the boresnake through the barrel of your semi-dirty gun? Say if you were cleaning an AR-15 or something...

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm stuck on the #3- I pull it though 3 times exactly

And no, I'm not obsessive-compulsive

:p

·
Registered
196 Posts
Like I said in my post, I run it through twice dry, and then put oil on it for the third. I put the oil towards the end of the snake, so you effectively get three cleaning swipes, and a little bit of oil at the end.

-Chris

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
brucelee said:
Just 3?

What do you do after the 3 pulls? Do you use patches of oil or anything?
After 3 pulls i have a cigarette :lol:

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
da boresnake is god's gift to the rifleman!

gotz boresnakes for all of me gunz

i pull it till it aint dirty no more! :wag:

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Im still using the old fashioned method wiht my multi capable Hoopes cleaning kit...mainly because I have way too many calibers to cover with multiple bore snakes. I use hoppes and also good old windex for my corrosive ammo calibers. I use clp or rem oil for my lube most of the time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I haven't cleaned my long guns in a long time (of course I haven't shot them in a long time either...:( ).

When I clean my handguns I use a rag soaked in solvent (Hoppes) and rub it all down, then follow up with patches and/or q-tips until clean. Then I soak a patch in solvent and run it down the bore on a brass brush a few times, then do it with clean patches until it's clean.

THEN I lube it up good with Tetra Lube and re-assemble.

BTW, if you're not using Tetra Lube, you NEED to. That stuff is ALL Glock recommends for their weapons, and I now use it in all my guns. It's great and you can HEAR the difference between it's lubrication and say Hoppes 9 oil.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I use militec for my rifles and shotguns (mostly because I "acquired" a shitload of it from the army), and plain old CLP for my pistols. I shoot my pistols a lot more frequently than my rifles and shotguns, so I'd like to conserve the militec because that shit rocks.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've got a tube of gun grease that I use for some parts, but for the most part I use CLP.

Love the boresnakes too. Only takes a few passes for the bore to be shiny and clean. I like to soak the boresnake with CLP from the brass brushes forward as well as the rear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ive read on ar15.com that a great (and cheaper) alternative to hoppes is non-clorinated brake cleaner. Supposedly it works better as well.

-SF

·
Registered
231 Posts
alternative to hoppes

As an alterative to hoppes that i use sometimes for cleaning is paint thinner its cheaper and does just as good of a job. To clean the barrel I normally use Birchwood Casey 2 in 1 bore cleaner along with a bore brush and then patches. I use Birchwood Casey gun scrubber to clean the action and interal parts along with a tooth brush which works really well. And to oil i use hoppes oil and remoil.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts