Gun Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new handgun, I've never been a big handgun shooter, I lean more towards longguns normally but want to a handguns to my collection. I have a ruger p90, 45,a sig trailside 22 and a taruas m44 .44 revolver. I don't know what i'm looking for, my only limitation is that I like metal, no poly's. It won't be a carry gun so size doesn't matter. What suggestions do you have?[/code]

·
Registered
191 Posts
sounds like you need a S&W....but since you have no idea what you want, how are we supposed to help you?

I say give poly guns a chance, shoot a few. You never know, you may like them

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Well, you got the .22 already, so I'd say everyone needs a 9mm.

See if you can try out a Browning High Power, they are good quality guns with a nice long history, shoot well, and are not terribly terribly expensive.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good one, Brownings are nice guns. I had a Browning 9mm BDM...shot great. My dad still has it, I traded it to him for his S&W, which I traded in for an HK USP Compact

·
Plays Counter Strike and knows everything about gu
1,099 Posts
I agree with the browning also. If you don't mind spending a little money, take a look at kimber, or one of the other 1911 stlye pistols.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Damn Yankee said:
Good one, Brownings are nice guns. I had a Browning 9mm BDM...shot great. My dad still has it, I traded it to him for his S&W, which I traded in for an HK USP Compact

thats too funny - reminds me of how many times i traded gunz to get where i am now.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
If it were me I'd go with something racey in .38 Super like the so very sweet box stock S&W 'Doug Koenig' 1911.

* Oversize External Extractor
* Full Length Guide Rod
* Competition Magazine Well Extension
* Crisp 3.5 - 4 lbs. Trigger Pull
* 30 LPI Frontstrap Checkering
* .38 Super
* Designed in Collaboration with Doug Koenig
* Performance Center Styled Slide with Two-Tone Finish
* Doug Koenig Competition Speed Hammer
* Competition Vertical Speed Trigger
* Logo Micarta Grips
* Hand Lapped Frame and Slide
* Hand Fit Barrel and Bushing
* A True Competition Ready Gun
* "Doug Koenig Competition" (DKC) Serial Number Run

For the ultimate competitive shooting pistol, Smith & Wesson is introducing the Doug Koenig Professional Series Model SW1911, designed in collaboration with Doug Koenig, the world's most accurate pistol shooter. These models feature Doug Koenig's Speed Hammer, Flat Competition Speed Trigger with Overtravel Stop and a variety of other special features that deliver superior accuracy and performance.

SKU: item_170257
Model: SW1911 DK
Caliber: .38 Super
Capacity: 10+1 Rounds
Barrel Length: 5"
Front Sight: Black Post Sight
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Grip: Smooth Black Polished Micarta
Trigger: Competition Match with Overtravel Stop
Hammer: Competition Speed Configuration
External Safety: Grip and Frame Mounted Ambidextrous
Frame: Large
Finish: Polished with Matte Accents
Overall Length: 8 3/4"
Material: Stainless Steel
Weight Empty: 41.5 oz.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...d=10001&productId=14811&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

Recoil with this all steel gun is akin to a 22 Magnum and it's just stupid accurate atleast out to 50', just point, pull the trigger and hit what you aimed for.
I'd love to have one of these and I'd CCW it too.

I lust for this gun.

- Janq

·
Registered
767 Posts
One of the shooters at my last USPSA was shooting hot loaded .38 Super with a comp and ports. the report was rediculous. The first time he lit one off, I thought it KBed. Funny thing was that so much gas was being vented that the was not enough pressure to cycle the gun consistently

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
Damn Janq, that's like the nicest 1911 I've ever seen. How much does that thing cost?

·
Registered
767 Posts
brucelee said:
Damn Janq, that's like the nicest 1911 I've ever seen. How much does that thing cost?
MSRP on it is $2300, its a peformance center gun, so its a hand built gun. very nice, but for the price I would go .38 super in a STI or SV 2011 frame

·
Registered
36 Posts
If your not opposed to used police trade-ins you can get a good deal on a used sig 226 full sized, 228 semi compact 9mm. Sig also has a factory refurbishing plan on their pistols. They take in the trade ins and go over them and replace what's needed and then releases them with a factory certified Warranty to dealers and Wholesalers.
http://www.sigarms.com/products/certified-pre-owned.asp

9mm is always great at the range due to ammo cost and availability , Though latest trends are every one moving up to .40's and larger . A lot of Leo's are trading up department weapon's . My sibling just went from a Sig 228 9mm to a Glock 22 in .40 for a duty weapon. The Govt. traded them all in .

Look at CDNN investments. they deal with a lot of police trade-in's with good prices. I've never had a problem with them and the phone sales guys are real honest with recommendations (Good People). Got a great deal last year on a Springfield discontinued .45 (NIB).

Looking at your existing pistols you like stronger cals.
My other recommendation would be look into a Sig 229 in (.40 cal or .357 sig) You can purchase in ether cal. then buy a separate barrel later in the other Cal and have the capability to shoot both in the same pistol. They use the same Magazines, Just drop in a different barrel! 1 round less in mag when using the Just look around first on which barrel is easier to acquire separately. (It's probably easier to find the .40 barrel)

I under stand how you feel about the plastic pistols. You ether hate them or love them. I've got a G17 just for Sh*ts and Giggles and prefer grabbing Steel myself.

But this being a new forum I shouldn't get Flamed about posting this here.

The fabled "Glock Torture test"

This is insane, Even I a plastic hater have to say Wow.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=13658&page=1

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the opinions, I really like the sig and browning ideas. I don't have anything against the plastic guns on a performance level i just prefer the feel of metal. I also thought about a custom race gun from kimber,SW, springfield and les baer but I just don't think i'm ready for that level of performance. A gun the shoots 2" groups at 50 isnt worth it if the shooter can come close to that lol Which i know i can't

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Well if you dont want a uber expensive Browning Hi Power look into the Argentine FM sereis. Some places sell them for around 300 NIB and they are 100% built to FN specs so all accessories and parts interchange. They have the CZ type Polycoat on them so they dont rust. They have recieved wonderful reviews in Shotgun news and other places.

Only other inexpensive alternative is the Arcus series which is made in Bulgaria I believe. Its an updated Hi Power design as well. I know it works good but I am not 100 percent sure on the interchange with original Browning/FN parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts