Gun Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering how long i could leave a mag loaded before i need to worry about the spring wearing out

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
I rotate ammo through magazines every 3 or 4 weeks.
I've never had a problem with mag springs not feeding and such.

:shrug:

- Janq

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
I leave some of my glock mags loaded constantly (not the hi-caps) and the springs dont wear out at all. Its still a bitch to load the 10 round CA mags even after having them loaded for over a year.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You don't need to worry about it wearing out. If a mag azine is stored full it wont wear out. What wears out magazines is the spring constantly being compressed and uncompressed. So storing them full is nothing to worry about. After you've put enough rounds through it it will wear out.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Actually if you read the last edition of the Shooters Bible they had a small part about the 101st airborne where they had tons of mag failures with thier m9 Beretta POS guns cause the mags were left loaded for months at a time. On the hi caps it does cause metal fatigue and like was previously said thats why I have a couple mags for my steyr. I only leave them loaded for a week at a time before rotating. My friend bought a 30rd mag for his S&W 5904 so he can leave it half loaded all the time and not have any issue with spring fatigure.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just loaded them up to sit for a while cause i can barely load them full without my mag loader i just figured it would loosen up the spring some, they are new magazines

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
they say if you must leave them loaded only load to half capacity to prevent spring fatigue.

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
Adler said:
they say if you must leave them loaded only load to half capacity to prevent spring fatigue.
I do this with my shotguns. Keep two of them loaded with 3 rounds each, mag cap is 8.

And regarding glock mags. Yes, I dont know what kind of friggin springs they use, but the CA mags are impossible to load without a mag loader sometimes. I've kept my CA mags loaded for over a year and they are STILL a pain in the ass to load. It's okay with CA 10rnd mags, I wouldn't leep my hicaps loaded fully for a year, just because I value them more.

·
Annihilator
4,782 Posts
Indeed you can.

I bought a bunch of AR-15 mags that were used in desert storm, mil surplus. I figured they'd work good and all since they were issued. Boy was I wrong. I had to replace every spring in every mag. Now they work alright... I like my "non-issued" mags better as they were brand new when I bought them and work flawlessly every time.

I'm a little concerned about my shotguns however. You think loading three into the pipe and keeping them like that is a bad idea? The tube capacity is 8, so I figure 3 wont wear out the spring too much.

·
Registered
231 Posts
brucelee said:
I'm a little concerned about my shotguns however. You think loading three into the pipe and keeping them like that is a bad idea? The tube capacity is 8, so I figure 3 wont wear out the spring too much.
I think it should be fine. What wears out a spring is it being cycled. So if it is being constantly compressed and uncompressed it will wear out faster. So storing it like that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Putting too much compression on a spring does hurt it. Trust me, its been an issue with Beretta and Colt mags. It weakens them and they dont have the power to spring forth after being compressed too much.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Random attacks by ninjas? I honestly can't think of anything that would motivate someone to keep the same magazines loaded all the time. I mean, I keep loaded firearms in my house, but I rotate mags every couple of weeks (out of habit for the most part, but within reason). There's just no legitimate reason to keep the same shit loaded unless you can't afford extra magazines for your firearms.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
hey guys - i picked up 2 factory glock mags yesterday

its been about 9 months since i last purchased some factory mags

i noticed that some of the stamping on the follower are different and they have different contour

has glock actually improved their mags in the last year?

i will be takin the new mags to the range today to give them a whirl.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I asked this question of the Vermont State Police's head armorer. He said with today's mettalurgy you needn't worry about springs wearing out. Leave em loaded.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I keep my mags loaded whenever I'm not transporting them to the range. At home I keep them loaded up with JHP (for the pistols) and I then unload them when i want to head to the range for some practice (since I usually shoot fmj at the range for cost reasons). This seems to work well for me since I rarely go more than 2-3 weeks between range trips.

-Chris

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Damn Yankee said:
I asked this question of the Vermont State Police's head armorer. He said with today's mettalurgy you needn't worry about springs wearing out. Leave em loaded.

Well it has sure caused issues with the M9 Beretta in Iraq...so much for metallurgy today. They say the same thing about modern cars...I dont believe that either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts