Gun Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow gun people. Having canceled my order for a SA XD 45 ACP (that's a long story, suffice to say a back order and some other things were involved) I am in need of a 40/45 ACP pistol. Based on research, personal tests and Daniel's undying love, I've narrowed it to a G21 or G22, with a 35 as a dark horse candidate.

So, here's my question......if you were to have one semi auto to use as a home defense/target gun, which would you choose? My friends at the LAPD say G22 (they like the .40 for accuracy) and others tell me G21. For reference, I have a S&W 4" .357 Mag, 38 Police Special and a nasty little Walther PPK .380 as well, that's the stuff I'm used to shooting. I also have a lot of seat time with a 92FS Vertec and G17.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I'm a big 45 fan (first gun was a 1911). I really wanted to like the Glock 21. It just didnt' fit my hand. Too big, very difficult for me to hit the magazine release.

So, I went with the Glock 22 instead. Fits my hand much better. Some people complain that .40 cal is snappy, and it is. But its really not that bad. My 357 magnums are much worse... Depending on how you look at it, it could be a positive that the 22 holds 2 more rounds than the 21. Ammo is cheaper as well. I find myself shooting the 22 more often than my 1911 for this very reason.

Something to consider is the recent failures of the Glock 21? Portland PD and LAPD have pulled them off the street due to mass malfunctions?
 

·
Annihilator
Joined
·
4,782 Posts
My G21 is awesome, I love the weight/balance of it.. Everything. It's just a great simple pistol. I can shoot much more accuratly with it than I can with a G22 or G17 because of the size and weight. Same thing goes for Miki. She prefers the G17 because she has small hands, but she can shoot more accuratly with the G21.

If your hands are big enough to hold the G21 comfortably, then I highly recommend the G21 to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the size of the gun isn't an issue. I like the weight alot.
As far as the G21 failures go, I've heard 2 stories from my friends at the LAPD. 1, that it's a maintenence issue, not a gun failure, and 2 that it was an ammunition problem. Having seen the G21 torture test results, I'm not inclined to think that thing has ANY design flaws.

Now, that being said, as I understand it, the 22 is more accurate and easie r to bring up on target and re-aquire during target shooting, a fact that might make it a good home D gun. Also, the bullets don't drop as much over distance due to the higher veolcity/lower weight of the slugs.

Eh, mebbe I'll buy both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
semabe said:
Yeah, the size of the gun isn't an issue. I like the weight alot.
As far as the G21 failures go, I've heard 2 stories from my friends at the LAPD. 1, that it's a maintenence issue, not a gun failure, and 2 that it was an ammunition problem. Having seen the G21 torture test results, I'm not inclined to think that thing has ANY design flaws.

Now, that being said, as I understand it, the 22 is more accurate and easie r to bring up on target and re-aquire during target shooting, a fact that might make it a good home D gun. Also, the bullets don't drop as much over distance due to the higher veolcity/lower weight of the slugs.

Eh, mebbe I'll buy both.
Well why don't you buy me one while you're at it Daddy Warbucks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will not provide the tools for your Jihad, lou.

I can get 2 of them for under a grand. The problem is CA only allows purchases of one at a time, once a month, with a 15 day waiting period.

Kind of a pain in the ass for package deals.
 

·
Annihilator
Joined
·
4,782 Posts
semabe said:
I will not provide the tools for your Jihad, lou.

I can get 2 of them for under a grand. The problem is CA only allows purchases of one at a time, once a month, with a 15 day waiting period.

Kind of a pain in the ass for package deals.

LMAO!

Don't you feel safe knowing that people can only buy one pistol a month? They can buy as many rifles or shotguns per month, but not a pistol!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,393 Posts
For the same price I would look into a Steyr m40...same price or cheaper than the glock with a better feeling grip and trigger, plus the option of another manual safety.

Designed by the same guy that designed the original glock....the Steyr was supposed to be an improved glock but Gaston told him to stick it and he went to Steyr.

But if one must go glock I would say 21 just cause the 40 S&W is and will always be a retarded 10mm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
TurismoLou said:
Just come this way to PA, you can buy an arsenal there! :laugh:
Shit, Wisco is a great state to buy firearms in. I've bought 2 pistols and a rifle in one day before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
brucelee said:
semabe said:
I will not provide the tools for your Jihad, lou.

I can get 2 of them for under a grand. The problem is CA only allows purchases of one at a time, once a month, with a 15 day waiting period.

Kind of a pain in the ass for package deals.

LMAO!

Don't you feel safe knowing that people can only buy one pistol a month? They can buy as many rifles or shotguns per month, but not a pistol!
I've never understood that law. A lunatic with a rifle could cause mass carnage and yet I could buy like 5 in one month and invade grenada.

God damn democrats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Glock M21 vs. M22

I own some 1911A1's because there is nothing like a big caliber handgun for stopping power. My Favorite is my Glock 22, I've had it over ten years and still enjoy shooting it. The long slide .40 is even nicer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Re: Glock M21 vs. M22

stuart_t said:
I own some 1911A1's because there is nothing like a big caliber handgun for stopping power. My Favorite is my Glock 22, I've had it over ten years and still enjoy shooting it. The long slide .40 is even nicer.
which long slide the 35 or the 24?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top