Gun Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not bad man, but work on not looking at the gun when you're reloading, keep your eyes up on your target. If it's a bad guy you'll need to be focused on him so he can't take the opportunity to move and surprise you.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn Yankee said:
Not bad man, but work on not looking at the gun when you're reloading, keep your eyes up on your target. If it's a bad guy you'll need to be focused on him so he can't take the opportunity to move and surprise you.
Actually your focus needs to shift from the front sight to the mag well, so that you get a clean mag load. I look at the seam created by the mag well and frame

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Nice relaod, a lot faster tha I can do it, but then again I don't keep my mags in race-ready condition either. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ducman said:
Damn Yankee said:
Actually your focus needs to shift from the front sight to the mag well, so that you get a clean mag load. I look at the seam created by the mag well and frame
I'm just telling you what I used to teach as a police Firearms Instructor, and that's the same thing I was taught by my instructors. Do it enough so that you don't have to look and you'll be a lot faster, and safer.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Damn Yankee said:
Ducman said:
Damn Yankee said:
I'm just telling you what I used to teach as a police Firearms Instructor, and that's the same thing I was taught by my instructors. Do it enough so that you don't have to look and you'll be a lot faster, and safer.

when it becomes a motor-reflex you will have it down - u wont have to think bout it - it just happens

that is the key - if you have to think bout it, ur already dead

well maybe not in a reload situation - but taking you eye off the target is seriously dangerous

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My method is taught by top IPSC / USPSA shooters
Different methods for different shooters.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ducman said:
This is true, when I train, it's for life and death shooting situations...IPSC targets won't seek different cover and try to flank you :lol:

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Damn Yankee said:
Ducman said:
This is true, when I train, it's for life and death shooting situations...IPSC targets won't seek different cover and try to flank you :lol:

good point

to each his own i suppose

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Damn Yankee said:
Ducman said:
Agreed.

Now this is totally not a firearm but the methods and lessons are the same, tournament paintball.
The xact saem is espoused becuase it's true, never ever take your eye off the BG. You have to learn to reload 'blind' and reason for that is because the BG is watching and waiting for you to go down or dry to either move (flank!) or attack.

I've never been in a shoot out trading fire with another man, though I have been caught in street cross fire, so I don't know what it's like to take incoming rounds. But I do know from direct tournament paintball experience that soon as you take your eye off the BG he's gonna do something and usually it's not to my benefit.

Personally I train at home and at the range to reload my guns blind, both my sidearms and paintball markers.

- Janq

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
This points out the interesting difference between "serious" competitors and what I'd call people who compete so they can be a little more practiced in a real life situation.

People who compete and train IPSC or IPDA methods, and gear up that way will always be hugely qucik on the course and will dominate the competition. They guys who go in with their daily carry gear, which is not that fast to deploy, reload and shoot will always lose in the game, but they will get a bit better prepared in case they have to use the stuff they lug around every day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmm

Yea, there's competition shooting and then there's train as you fight shooting.

When the guys are getting ready for a competition you bet they'll look at their guns while reloading...I do. But when we're training, it's train as you fight. Keep your eyes on the suspect if you're not on the receiving end of shots fired....

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Ducman said:
IDPA requires you to wear gear that is close to what you would carry on the street, Gun and mags under concelment behind the hip bone,

USPSA is just a game, but a very fun game

And here is a Vid of what a mag change should look like

http://www.doublealpha.biz/images/travis_reload.mpg

Of course in that video the guy has a race gun basically with a beveled magwell that assists in mag insertion. Its is too bulky a piece to be practicaly as it adds length and buldge. But the pricipal is the same unless your gun has a heel mag catch euro style like mine. I still like my Walther p38 damn it! :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Janq said:
Damn Yankee said:
Ducman said:
Agreed.

Now this is totally not a firearm but the methods and lessons are the same, tournament paintball.
The xact saem is espoused becuase it's true, never ever take your eye off the BG. You have to learn to reload 'blind' and reason for that is because the BG is watching and waiting for you to go down or dry to either move (flank!) or attack.

I've never been in a shoot out trading fire with another man, though I have been caught in street cross fire, so I don't know what it's like to take incoming rounds. But I do know from direct tournament paintball experience that soon as you take your eye off the BG he's gonna do something and usually it's not to my benefit.

Personally I train at home and at the range to reload my guns blind, both my sidearms and paintball markers.

- Janq
For about two weeks one summer I had two very painful welts on the inner side of my upper right thigh (dangerously close to the :wag: ) that help me remember never to lose track of my target. I heard him run dry, counted to 3 and ran for his bunker, figuring he'd be well into his reload and I'd smoke his ass.

He was a good player and had moved bunkers upon running dry, and had reloaded while moving, and got me broadside out in the wide open. Owie.

·
Registered
132 Posts
on certain stages in IDAP, they require you to do a tactical reload with retention.

that means, drop the current mag, grab the next mag and insert. then while still holding semi spent mag, put that back in your pocket or mag holder. i forget that last part of the rulebook...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts