Gun Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last couple of evenings there have been coyotes sneaking around the neighborhood. Two nights ago the neighbors' bull started bellowing around 10:00pm and the hound dogs made a ruckus for a little bit and settled back down. Couple minutes later came a bunch of yipping and snarling from further downwind in the woods, and the hound dogs started up again until the coyotes left or shut up. Last night was a repeat performance but the coyotes must have said "fuck the wind", cause they were howling on both sides of us.

I've been thinking about setting up some roadkill and a spotlight out back this weekend, but I've never hunted predators. Basically just looking for a way to expand my hunting repertoire, as well as get the coyotes to think twice about coming around.

·
Plays Counter Strike and knows everything about gu
1,099 Posts
Try a distress call in the early morning or evening time. That tends to work pretty well.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
kartoffel said:
Two nights ago the neighbors' bull...
i cant remember the last time i even saw a bull. sometimes i wish i lived out in the country, then i remember how much i enjoy being able to pop down to 7-11 and back in under 5 minutes.

·
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a Dollar Store, a Conoco and one other gas/convenience place called "Fuelz" all within a couple miles. It's not so bad. Wally World is 10-15 minutes down towards town one way. There's a small Piggly Wiggly maybe 10 minutes in the opposite direction.

<-- patiently awaiting the inevitable "Piggly Wiggly" jokes :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
i remember the good ol Piggly Wiggly from my brief stint in Wisconsin. I remember the first banquet style dinner i attended there and thought the cheese sculpture center-piece was a sort of practical joke or satire on the more common (for me at least) ice sculpture. i simply could not contain my laughter when someone explained that it was not so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How far out in the county do you live? I'm about an hour from you (western corner Blount Co) and haven't seen or heard anything like a coyote in my neck of the woods (and I live, quite literally, in the woods). Maybe there are enough roaming dogs around here to keep them run off?

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you live out in the sticks and coyotes are coming onto your property, are you legally allowed to just open fire? Is there a limit or season?

·
Plays Counter Strike and knows everything about gu
1,099 Posts
Chuck33079 said:
If you live out in the sticks and coyotes are coming onto your property, are you legally allowed to just open fire? Is there a limit or season?
Check with your local wildlife laws first. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on them in Texas.

In Colorado they fell under small game and you could also legally take one during big game season with a valid big game license.

·
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually I'm not far out in the woods at all. Maybe 5 miles from the edge of Decatur. It's a mix of cow pastures and fields with patches of woods in between. Maybe the coyotes prefer the open terrain more?

As for local wildlife laws, you need an AL hunting license for any type of hunting or animal control. Here, there is no closed season on coyotes, but there are some restrictions on how you hunt them. Turns out that you can only hunt with firearms during daylight hours. Nighttime hunting is only permitted if you're running dogs against them, without firearms. Weird.

Anyway, the last couple nights they haven't been back, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
interesting - the wife called me last week on/or about the day you posted this about spotting coyottes in the sub division and again closer to the freeway and stripmall

i wonder if there was something drawing the out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Coyotes are adapted to survival by numbers. You extinguish one they'll just replace that one with two or more. They also do a head count with there yelps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts