Gun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a bit of a sea change, and I'm looking at purchasing my first pistol in the near future. My "wish list" features are:
* Traditional SA/DA with external hammer and safety
* Polymer Frame
* Chambered in 9x19
* Compact/subcompact size (9-10cm barrel)
* Price tag $800ish or less
* Not a Sig or a GLOCK

So far the contenders are the Beretta 9000, the Beretta Px4 Storm, and the H&K P2000SK and the Magnum Research Baby Eagle. I'm also considering the Walter P99(c) because, though they are striker-fired, they are far and away the most comfortable guns I've ever fired.

Are there any weapons I'm overlooking in my search?

Peace,
Hans
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
How about a HK USP compact 9mm. you can carry DA/SA or SA L&C

What is the main purpose for the gun?

what are the reasoning behind the limitations for your search?
 

·
Fanatical Feline
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
It may not have an external hammer but any of the Kahrs are great! I use a shoulder holster with it and I hardly know its there its VERY small. Also the H&K USP compact in 9mm and .40's are great I have one in 40.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,393 Posts
Beretta 9000 is a hitty desogn and most find it akward and uncomfortable.

Look into the EAA Witness as well. They make some really nice CZ clones in polymer for under 400 bucks most of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ducman:
I had considered explaining the rationales behind my criteria in my post, but left them out for brevity. If it helps:
* Traditional SA/DA with external hammer and safety (Personal preference; I'm something of a control freak; I like to be able to tell the status of the hammer at a glance as well as "tell" the pistol to go to safe)
* Polymer Frame (I find poly pistols more comfortable to shoot, plus it will be lighter should I decide to start carrying.)
* Chambered in 9x19 (The MAIN reason I'm buying is to go target shooting; 9x19 is cheap enough to shoot all day, but still a capable combat caliber, should I decide to press it into service as a defensive pistol)
* Compact/subcompact size (9-10cm barrel) (As mentioned above, I may use this as a carry gun)
* Not a Sig or a GLOCK (I can't hang with the control placement on Sig's, and I can't shoot GLOCKs worth a damn [I blame the grip angle])

Fatcat:
I'm rather a fan of the USP, but even the compact would be a bit bulky for carry for me. The P2000SK is esentially a USP compact, but a half-inch smaller in length and grip length AND with God's very own design feature: Interchangable Backstraps.

Adler:
What's wrong with the Beretta 9000? It looks to have the same general anatomy as the 92, but smaller. Are you sure you're not thinking of the Px4 with its wacky rotating breech design?

As for the EAA, it's not on the CA "good guns" list; otherwise it would have been a great gun to evaluate.

Thanks for your replies, folks! Any other takers?

Peace,
Hans
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
While the EAA's may not be on the CA white list (likely secondary to their readily changable barrels), the CZ 2075 does have some appeal; I think I'll check that puppy out as well. Thanks for the tip!

Peace,
Hans
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
Hans said:
Ducman:
I had considered explaining the rationales behind my criteria in my post, but left them out for brevity. If it helps:
* Traditional SA/DA with external hammer and safety (Personal preference; I'm something of a control freak; I like to be able to tell the status of the hammer at a glance as well as "tell" the pistol to go to safe)
* Polymer Frame (I find poly pistols more comfortable to shoot, plus it will be lighter should I decide to start carrying.)
* Chambered in 9x19 (The MAIN reason I'm buying is to go target shooting; 9x19 is cheap enough to shoot all day, but still a capable combat caliber, should I decide to press it into service as a defensive pistol)
* Compact/subcompact size (9-10cm barrel) (As mentioned above, I may use this as a carry gun)
* Not a Sig or a GLOCK (I can't hang with the control placement on Sig's, and I can't shoot GLOCKs worth a damn [I blame the grip angle])


Peace,
Hans
I would look into multiple guns, especially if target shooting in going to be your primary. Get a decent long barrel gun and a small carry gun. nothing is more frustrating than trying to shoot groups with a compact

if you are in CA is CCW a viable option?

And one tip, beware of the false sense of security of safety. Guns only go bang when the trigger is pulled, don't rely on the safety as a backup.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Bretta cougar (or mini-cougar) model 8000? It's not polymer, but it's lightweight aluminum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ducman said:
I would look into multiple guns, especially if target shooting in going to be your primary. Get a decent long barrel gun and a small carry gun. nothing is more frustrating than trying to shoot groups with a compact
Unfortunately, that is not a financial option at the moment. Hence, the 90-100mm barrel parameter in my search; it's on the long side of compact, and thus a decent compromise, I think.

Ducman said:
if you are in CA is CCW a viable option?
I'm actually in a better-than-average position to get my CCW due to my exact geographical location and my vocation. Plus, I'll likely be moving to a more gun-friendly state in the next few months.

Ducman said:
And one tip, beware of the false sense of security of safety. Guns only go bang when the trigger is pulled, don't rely on the safety as a backup.
I would posit that guns only SHOULD go bang when the trigger is INTENTIONALLY pulled. There are several people suffering from GLOCK leg who would be happy to point out that is not always the case.

Peace,
Hans
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
jamz said:
Bretta cougar (or mini-cougar) model 8000? It's not polymer, but it's lightweight aluminum.
They are decent guns, to be sure, but I don't quite like the feel. Thanks for the recommendation, though!

Peace,
Hans
 

·
Plays Counter Strike and knows everything about gu
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
Out of the choices you mention, I would go with HK. It's small, dependable, and has a decent aftermarket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
I second both the comments on thd Kahr & Beretta 9000. The Beretta does not feel right in my hand. Too chunky. It feels awkward to me. I'm sure it is a fine shooter but you should lay hands on it first & see if it feels comfortable to you.

Here are a couple reviews on the Kahr -

Kahr PM9

Kahr P9

Kahr must be doing something right. They bought Auto-Ordnance outright awhile back. Full disclosure though, I do not own a Kahr. I bought a used ITM AT-84 as my main 9mm awhile back. It meets none of your selection criteria.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
speaker said:
I second both the comments on thd Kahr & Beretta 9000. The Beretta does not feel right in my hand. Too chunky. It feels awkward to me. I'm sure it is a fine shooter but you should lay hands on it first & see if it feels comfortable to you.
I actually like the handling of the 9000, and despite its short barrel, it shoots pretty straight for me.

I ADORE the aesthetics and price tags of the Kahrs and Tauri (as well as the Taurus warranty), but DAO is just no fun at the range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Taurus and S&W have that nifty feature where you can lock the weapon up with a special key. Are those the only manufacturers that offer that setup?

Peace,
Hans
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,393 Posts
Steyr has that as well.
Taurus now makes a 24/7 Pro compact that is like the Walther p99 with a true SA/SA trigger. Might want to look into those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Hans said:
Taurus and S&W have that nifty feature where you can lock the weapon up with a special key. Are those the only manufacturers that offer that setup?

Peace,
Hans
I can't speak for other Taurus product but on my PT1911 that "key" is nothing more than a security allen key. I have set of security bits and guess what? One of them works to unlock my pistol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Hans said:
I actually like the handling of the 9000, and despite its short barrel, it shoots pretty straight for me.
Handguns, like any long term physical relationship, are best tried out before making the commitment.

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Mndfusion said:
I like revolvers, CZ's 75 po1, and Makarovs. I nvr shot a more reliable auto pistol than a makarov.
I have a CZ 75 and a Makarov. I agree with you :D
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top