Gun Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am Trying to narrow down my ideal carry gun, an evolution that is a long time in the making, like a lot of us.

Brief hsitory: I am narrowed down to a 1911 platorm in .45acp, but I am not manly enough to tote around an all steel version.

So, a while ago, I found a Colt Defender, which I've tested and have been carrying for the last 6 months or so maybe. I know the reliability issues of the 3 inchers, and would like to move up to a lightweight commander length model.

I really likes the S&W 1911SC, it's a scandium gun in the right length, and I like S&W's reliability so far. (I have a plain steel rollmark S&W1911 and it's been perfect.)

So for a while I had decided on that gun when I had saved up enough money. Now and evil, evil man at my local gunshop has showed my a few used Series 80 Colt Commanders that have the lightweight frame, and I know that a lot of experienced people trust the older Colts (not that Series 80 is really old), so now I am puzzled. I have a choice of three guns. Colt Commander buffs, what would YOU choose for a carry gun?

1. NIB S&W 1911SC

2. Colt Commander S80 with some "history". Lots of custom work done, barstow barrell, trigger, sear, hammer, night sights etc etc etc etc replaced. (All stock parts come with the gun as well). Additionally, this gun was the property of the evil man at the gun shop for a time, and he insists that it was reliable and shot very well. He has no interest in selling this particular gun, he's just an employee, and the Colt Defender that I have was once his as well, and as per his word, it does shoot very reliably)

3. Colt Commander S80 with night sights, no other work done, untested.

The s&w is around $850, the two colts around $650.

I'm nervous about the amount of work done on gun #2, and would not consider it unless is had been owned by they guy and deemed reliable.

What would you guys advise in this situation?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I would go with the Smith, you get a great warranty, a great gun, shots well, carries better. To much can go wrong on 1911 that have been worked on. The quality of work may be great, it may not be and could be functioning fine until there is a little wear

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
I would not be entertaining anything else but the S&W1911SC.
That gun is the tits, period, especially for police/duty work.
Ths Scandium frame & slide is light like aluminum but stronger than steel and rust proof too. It requires zero tuning, work, or parts swappage. it's just right right out of the box.

See my range report of the 1911PD here which is the SC only SW changed the naming convention last year;
OT Gun Nuts: Range Report - S&W 1911PD Scandium Commander
11-14-2005, 01:12 AM
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882867

As for the Defender and 3" 1911 issues thats true with notable exception of the uniquely designed dual captured recoil spring steup of the Defender and the other notable exception to the general rule is Kimber Ultra CDP in 4" and 3". They are both known to be reliable, my own Defender just shoots even when overly dry.

- Janq

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My defender shoots fine too, but I really like the extra velocity you get from another inch and a half of barrell. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I shot some factory rounds and homegrown rounds out of a 5" and the 3" and you lose a heck of a lot of velocity with the 3", like 150fps or something.

I dunno, I like old guns somehow.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
jamz said:
My defender shoots fine too, but I really like the extra velocity you get from another inch and a half of barrell. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I shot some factory rounds and homegrown rounds out of a 5" and the 3" and you lose a heck of a lot of velocity with the 3", like 150fps or something.

I dunno, I like old guns somehow.
Very true.
The Defender as I recall was originally spec'd as a weapon of last resort for Vietnam era Airforce pilots to use toward defense in the event of being shotdown being small & packable.

Again you're right about velocity drop and I just happen to agree that a lightweight Commander 4" is the best of both worlds being not too long and not too heavy with optimal velocities. The trifecta for CCW is a CCO which is a Commander slide on an Officer length shortened frame. Dan Wesson and Kimber sells them. I have one from SA and it's very easy to conceal as easy as the Defender while the GSR (full size govt.) requires work & planning.

I very much think you'll love the SW1911SC.
When is the next time you'll be out my way?
We could go try it out at S&W both in Govt. and Commander.
Oh and as I think was mentioned prior SW has a lifteime warranty which is also trasnferable as it goes with the gun not the owner (!).

- Janq

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Para Ord has one out in your price range that looks pretty nice.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Janq, I might be out there Monday night, if you are around.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
jamz said:
Janq, I might be out there Monday night, if you are around.
I don't have dog or tango classes going right now.
Lets make it happen!

If you no longer have my cell PM me and i'll shoot it your way.

- Janq

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure I don't, I lost it with my last phone death

p.s. Nice "new" avatar! :D

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
jamz said:
I'm sure I don't, I lost it with my last phone death

p.s. Nice "new" avatar! :D
Look out for a PM...

As for the avatar thanks, it's the one I'd been using at the 'Barn.
I get bored of them quick and often change up to keep things fresh.
In this case I figured it's more appropriate over here than there. :p

- Janq

1 - 12 of 12 Posts