5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  rs25.com 
#1 ·
read this over at the basement of SW:

Here's the story:

Dog shot, killed after lunging at woman in Lynden
Kira Millage Staff
Published: March 29, 2007
KIRA MILLAGE THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

LYNDEN - An unleashed boxer was shot and killed Wednesday after lunging and snapping at a woman waiting at a bus stop, Lynden Police Chief Jack Foster said.

About 1:30 p.m., two boxers and a blue heeler approached a woman in the 1200 block of Front Street and charged at her several times, Foster said. She attempted to fight them off with her backpack until a passerby with a concealed weapons permit stepped between the woman and the dogs and kicked at the dogs until they started to run away, Foster said.

While the passerby was tending to the woman, the dogs returned and a boxer lunged at the passerby, who fired his gun in defense, Foster said.

The described behavior is unusual for the dogs, according to the owner of the boxer that wasn't shot.

"The two boxers are probably the friendliest dogs you'll ever meet - they're not aggressive dogs," said Rob Van Diest. The dogs apparently broke out of their kennel in a yard a couple blocks away and were out wandering around, Van Diest said.

"Maybe they were a little bit hyper or something and ready to play," he said. "I can't see them being aggressive and attacking anybody."

The boxer died after its owners took it to the veterinarian, Foster said. The same owners were able to get their other dogs home.

See less See more
#2 ·
With my line of work, I am in other peoples houses often. The ones with dogs always tell me, "Oh, he's friendly, he's never bitten anyone before."
This has come to mean, "As soon as you turn your back, he'll try to bite you."

Most people's dogs are friendly with them or they're around to control them.
But it seems to me many dogs are like kids. Meaning when they roam around by themselves they like to be mischevious and often times can cause trouble.

#3 ·
Gun-Nut said:
With my line of work, I am in other peoples houses often. The ones with dogs always tell me, "Oh, he's friendly, he's never bitten anyone before."
This has come to mean, "As soon as you turn your back, he'll try to bite you."

Most people's dogs are friendly with them or they're around to control them.
But it seems to me many dogs are like kids. Meaning when they roam around by themselves they like to be mischevious and often times can cause trouble.
Ding.

#4 ·
yeppers - my pops when he was still alive - worked for Bell Systems (Bell Atlantic)

when i was in grade school he was a splicing tech - well he had to go into a residence for a trouble call

the home owner refused to lock up their german sheppard and demanded that he enter and fix their phone

the home owner was relying on their teenage child to restrain the dog - well as soon as my father turned his back the dog broke free and latched onto his left forearm - with his strong arm my father pulled a 12" phillips screw driver from his work belt and thrust it down through the base of the dogs skull

the dog obviously died and the home owner sued the company and my family - and lost, if you can believe that!

this all happened before cell fones - so not having telephone service was a major pita

#6 ·
Fuzz541 said:
^^^ Jeeeeebus.

"You're terminated, fucker!"

yea - it was pretty intense

not to mention that he had to get a bunch of stiches and was put on leave during the whole ordeal

#7 ·
Fuzz541 said:
Double ding.

I generally do not trust to be left alone with another persons dog, regardless of their age or size...and definitely not the dogs of people who say he's nice or whatever.
I've been bitten three times by dogs, and twice by cats, and 100% of them were from folk who have said Rex or Toonces is "nice".

I hope the CCW guy gets off and the owners of all three dogs are at a minimum cited and fined.

- Janq

#8 ·
I love dogs.....I have grown up around big dogs & have never been afraid of dogs......until the day my dad & I were at a car lot looking at some used trucks......across the road was a small woman walking a LARGE St. Bernard....there was a group of kids walking by the car lot & they were loud & doing what kids do.....I guess the dog got spooked or didnt like what was going on & it charged across the road at the kids & dragged the woman walking it for at least 15ft before she could get the leash off her arm....at this point it was like slow motion......my dad took off towards my car & made it in the car seconds before the dog was there.....I was on the other side of a truck we were looking at & didnt have the time to make it to the drivers side of my car that was prolly 20 ft away.....I did the only thing I could think of at that split second & jumped up in the bed of the Dodge 3500 pickup (not a low truck). The kids all were ontop of other cars in the lot.....The woman was running across the street yelling at the dog "ZUSE, STOP!!!! NO!!!" I could see my dad on the cell phone (I asumed he was phoning the police). The dog was darting back & forth to the cars the kids were on barking & growling....then it happend......the 120+ lbs dog charged my postion & was clawing his way up the side of the truck bed I was in.....I drew my Glock 23 & pointed it at the dog & said if it looks like it is going to make it into the bed I would fire. About that time the owner made it to the dogs location & grabed the leash and pulling the dog off the truck.....she was screaming at the dog to "behave" & then she saw my gun pointed right at her dog & said "if you shoot my dog youre fucking dead". She managed to get the dog in check & I had holstered my weapon. Soon after the police arrived & the first thing the woman said before the cops could even get out of their car was" HE HAS A GUN & TRIED TO KILL MY DOG". I told the cops right away that I was carrying & that I had drawn & intended to shoot the dog if it did not halt its attack.....They at NO point asked if I had a CCW or anything....after the 5 kids & my dad & I told the same story one of the cops asked me why I didnt shoot the dog....I told him that I wouldnt want someone to kill my pet unless it was 100% life or death.....He chuckled & said if it was him that dog would have been dead!! You should have seen the look on the womans face when he said that!!!! PRICELESS! She was given a ticket for having a dangerous animal & told if they got any other complaints the dog would be destroyed!

thats my dog story....thanks for reading it....sorry it was so long!

CWB

#9 ·
FreeBMW said:
I love dogs.....I have grown up around big dogs & have never been afraid of dogs......until the day my dad & I were at a car lot looking at some used trucks......across the road was a small woman walking a LARGE St. Bernard....there was a group of kids walking by the car lot & they were loud & doing what kids do.....I guess the dog got spooked or didnt like what was going on & it charged across the road at the kids & dragged the woman walking it for at least 15ft before she could get the leash off her arm....at this point it was like slow motion......my dad took off towards my car & made it in the car seconds before the dog was there.....I was on the other side of a truck we were looking at & didnt have the time to make it to the drivers side of my car that was prolly 20 ft away.....I did the only thing I could think of at that split second & jumped up in the bed of the Dodge 3500 pickup (not a low truck). The kids all were ontop of other cars in the lot.....The woman was running across the street yelling at the dog "ZUSE, STOP!!!! NO!!!" I could see my dad on the cell phone (I asumed he was phoning the police). The dog was darting back & forth to the cars the kids were on barking & growling....then it happend......the 120+ lbs dog charged my postion & was clawing his way up the side of the truck bed I was in.....I drew my Glock 23 & pointed it at the dog & said if it looks like it is going to make it into the bed I would fire. About that time the owner made it to the dogs location & grabed the leash and pulling the dog off the truck.....she was screaming at the dog to "behave" & then she saw my gun pointed right at her dog & said "if you shoot my dog youre fucking dead". She managed to get the dog in check & I had holstered my weapon. Soon after the police arrived & the first thing the woman said before the cops could even get out of their car was" HE HAS A GUN & TRIED TO KILL MY DOG". I told the cops right away that I was carrying & that I had drawn & intended to shoot the dog if it did not halt its attack.....They at NO point asked if I had a CCW or anything....after the 5 kids & my dad & I told the same story one of the cops asked me why I didnt shoot the dog....I told him that I wouldnt want someone to kill my pet unless it was 100% life or death.....He chuckled & said if it was him that dog would have been dead!! You should have seen the look on the womans face when he said that!!!! PRICELESS! She was given a ticket for having a dangerous animal & told if they got any other complaints the dog would be destroyed!

CWB
damn!

#10 · (Edited)
This weekend I was hanging out with neighbors who have a boxer mix that is commonly mistaken to be a pit only because of its coloring and has a square head. If you know anything about pits though it would be obvious that the dog is not a pit.
Anyway the cops had showed up at their residence a couple of days prior for a noise complaint and the dog was off leash on their property in the backyard, which isn't uncommon for them but they do keep the animal under good monitoring from what I've seen.
So anyway the police upon seeing the dog run toward him (he does this to everyone) immediately unholstered his service weapon and drew down on the dog.

The owners were pissed as they caught the animal and took it inside.
I explained to them it is their right to file a complaint if they wish but at the same time they can't exactly be surprised considering the look/appearance of their dog and that it was off leash. Not that being off leash on your own property is against any laws here.

If I only had a dime for everytime I've had to deal with other peoples dogs who would come to attack my dogs when were walking and those dogs owners being completely unable to control/restrain their animals from 100+ lb. down to little ass 'kick dog' types that only weigh 20 lbs.
IMHO if you're going to own a dog of any sort large or small then you should at a minimum have the physical capability to restrain it if by chance the _animal_ happens to go off the chain, which with dogs does happen to even the otherwise nicest of temperment animals.

- Janq

#12 ·
Janq said:
If I only had a dime for everytime I've had to deal with other peoples dogs who would come to attack my dogs when were walking and those dogs owners being completely unable to control/restrain their animals from 100+ lb. down to little ass 'kick dog' types that only weigh 20 lbs.
IMHO if you're going to own a dog of any sort large or small then you should at a minimum have the physical capability to restrain it if by chance the _animal_ happens to go off the chain, which with dogs does happen to even the otherwise nicest of temperment animals.

- Janq
I see that all the time in the develepmont. Parents letting their 10yr old kids take their 200lb St benards and Mastiffs for a walk or the dogs taking the kids for a walk depending on how you look at it. There's no way a kid can even hope to control a dog that size.

2-3 years ago there was an incident here where a 8yr old girl was dragged by the rotty she was walking, she had it on a leash and it took off after an older couple in a golf cart and drug the girl across a couple hundred yards of blacktop, stones and concrete down the road and until the couple got into their garage. They called security from a cell phone while being chased, who inturn called the ambulance. The ambulance got there first but couldn't help the girl because now the dog wa calm but protective and would go after any of them that tried to approach her. The older gentleman how was chased went got in the house came out with a 45 and shot the dog twice in the head.

The girl's left wrist was broken in 3 places, left elbow was shattered along with a dislocated shoulder, broken nose and the skin was pealed off 60% of the front of her body. She still under going skin graphf.

The hospital called child services when she was admitted and they charged the parents with a whole shit load of stuff negligance, child endangerment and a bunch of others i can't remember but the parents ended up losing custody of all 3 of their children.

#13 ·
Jeremy said:
I see that all the time in the develepmont. Parents letting their 10yr old kids take their 200lb St benards and Mastiffs for a walk or the dogs taking the kids for a walk depending on how you look at it. There's no way a kid can even hope to control a dog that size.

2-3 years ago there was an incident here where a 8yr old girl was dragged by the rotty she was walking, she had it on a leash and it took off after an older couple in a golf cart and drug the girl across a couple hundred yards of blacktop, stones and concrete down the road and until the couple got into their garage. They called security from a cell phone while being chased, who inturn called the ambulance. The ambulance got there first but couldn't help the girl because now the dog wa calm but protective and would go after any of them that tried to approach her. The older gentleman how was chased went got in the house came out with a 45 and shot the dog twice in the head.

The girl's left wrist was broken in 3 places, left elbow was shattered along with a dislocated shoulder, broken nose and the skin was pealed off 60% of the front of her body. She still under going skin graphf.

The hospital called child services when she was admitted and they charged the parents with a whole shit load of stuff negligance, child endangerment and a bunch of others i can't remember but the parents ended up losing custody of all 3 of their children.

now that is how to take charge!

its a case of parents not parenting their kids again!

#14 ·
I'm a surveyor and deal with all kinds of dogs on a weekly basis. Just today had a run in with a very large and aggressive German Shepard. The landowner had warned us on the phone that the dog bites before we entered the property. She didn't do anything to restrain it and we though the damn thing was going to bite our tires! It stopped as we went into the field, but I was wondering this today. Would I shoot it if it lunged at me/us? Don't know.

This is a big reason I got my CCW. We walk or (trespass as they like to say) on adjoining properties every day all day and see every type of person and property from mansion to shack. BOTH are as unpredictable as the other. You never know when you're going to be approached by dog or disgruntled landowner. I need to find out the laws in particular to shooting a dog in self defense.

#15 ·
Why the hell can't people with animals like that cannot restrain or house inside their animal to allow workers such as yourself to come and go in safety?!
If I were you I would call the animal officer and let him handle things,unless of course your customer was the landowner.

- Janq

#16 ·
My client apparently smoothed things over with her. We do contract work with clients which deal with the landowners. Unless it is private land survey work, we do not deal with surface/mineral owners. So we are pretty much left to our own unless the client tells us otherwise. 9 times out of 10 we do an about face and exit the property to alert our client to get shit settled.

#17 ·
FreeBMW said:

CWB

Ha! Crazy story.

I have a little tiny shi-tzu. My cat kicks his ass when they wrestle. I don't think he could harm anyone if he tried.

#18 ·
I have a 16 year old 14 lb. Laso Apso and a 7 year old 80 lb. Golden Retriever, and the little 14 lb. kick dog is the one that I have to worry about biting people. Anytime service people are over I lock both dogs in a room where the service folks won't be. The little one normally leaves folks alone, but there is always a concern for either A) the dog being shot, or B) getting sued for having a 'vicous' dog. The Retriever on the couple of occasions I forgot to lock her in got me the complaint that she wouldn't leave whoever alone, I'd venture to say that was the individual's fault, however, since that dog thinks that you're there expressly for the sake of petting her once you pay any attention to her. Back on topic, I question myself as to whether I'd have it in me to shoot a dog. Oddly I always come to the conclusion that I'd have an easier time of shooting a person who was threatening me than a dog that's threatening me.

#20 ·
The problem is that many people don't know the difference between aggressive and playful. Obviously the stories here are pretty cut and dry, but there are plenty of people who are just terrified of dogs altogether and think everything is an attack, when in fact it's more likely the dog is just playing.

I know a neighborhood dog that is (a) a pit (b) gets out every once in a while and (c) is super playful and jumps up on people, barks, runs around ... basically really poorly trained. When I see it loose (twice) I just go grab it and put up with it's silly little game. A few weeks ago Animal Control took it away because it "attacked an 8-year-old child." No, the kid did not get bit. The kid over-reacted. Big surprise. :rolleyes:

I fear for one of my dogs - he barks and jumps up and down like and idiot, runs all around the room, which scares the crap out of strangers. Then he comes and sits on your foot, leans against you, and demands you pet him. Short of beating him, we've done everything to try and break him of this behavior, but just can't. Now we just lock him away and I hope he never gets out. :(

#22 ·
rs25.com said:
The problem is that many people don't know the difference between aggressive and playful.
Screw that. Many DOGS don't know the difference between aggressive and playful. I realize that fast movement, acting scared or running will encourage some "nice" dogs to want to "play". Personally, at 210 lb and 6'2" I'd take my chances staring down a frisky dog if one charged me, but if I saw that same dog charging a young child for instance, well, it would be bad news for the dog.

Do your dog a favor and ensure he/she gets proper training. It's almost never too late to unlearn bad habits and reinforce good doggy psychology. :)

#24 ·
Crazy big dogs.

The only time I've been bit by a dog was once when I was delivering pizzas in HS. Someone had a dog the size of a russet potato, and that little thing bit my ankle. :eek: I could have stepped on it, I have no idea what it was thinking. :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.