Gun Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DUST Cover = ejection port cover (getting my lingo down still, im a rifle n00b)

I finally got mine built and bought a pretty good guide, but it does not show some stuff I am wondering about. Maybe someone here can explain it....

So far I have done numerous function checks (seeing if the safety, disconnect, etc) work and they run flawlessly. I have checked all over ar-15.com and my rifle does everything ar15 says it should do...which i am proud of since this is my first build.

1. i pull the charging handle back, and the dust cover comes open. I release it (without a mag) and it shoots back into the upper and cocks the hammer. I put on safety and the trigger does not move, I put it on fire and it fires just fine. When does the dust cover close though? Does it close when you are firing?

2. Same thing about the dust cover when a mag is in, except the charging handle does not go back until I press the bolt release. Is this normal with the dust cover? How does the bolt catch work?

3. Any links to my basic questions?

Thanks guys

-SF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
the dust cover closes when you press it closed with your fingers.

see that spring? it only goes one way.

IIRC, the dust cover should only open when the carrier goes back and presses it open from the inside. slamming the bolt home should not open it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,393 Posts
SolidForce said:
DUST Cover = ejection port cover (getting my lingo down still, im a rifle n00b)

I finally got mine built and bought a pretty good guide, but it does not show some stuff I am wondering about. Maybe someone here can explain it....

So far I have done numerous function checks (seeing if the safety, disconnect, etc) work and they run flawlessly. I have checked all over ar-15.com and my rifle does everything ar15 says it should do...which i am proud of since this is my first build.

1. i pull the charging handle back, and the dust cover comes open. I release it (without a mag) and it shoots back into the upper and cocks the hammer. I put on safety and the trigger does not move, I put it on fire and it fires just fine. When does the dust cover close though? Does it close when you are firing?

2. Same thing about the dust cover when a mag is in, except the charging handle does not go back until I press the bolt release. Is this normal with the dust cover? How does the bolt catch work?

3. Any links to my basic questions?

Thanks guys

-SF
Dust cover is closed again manually but opens automatically when the charger is pulled back or the gun fired the first time.

Bolt catch is operated by the Mag follower that pushes it up to lock the bolt when the last round is ejected. Very similar to the way a pistol slide catch works.

Hope that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
one more test on a new built is the drop test, seriously

With the hammer back. put the gun on fire. drop the butt on the ground from about 1-2' on a rug or something somewhat soft. Did the hammer drop? hopefully not
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ducman said:
one more test on a new built is the drop test, seriously

With the hammer back. put the gun on fire. drop the butt on the ground from about 1-2' on a rug or something somewhat soft. Did the hammer drop? hopefully not
nope no firing! looks like im ready for the range!

pretty good with that piece o crap JP adjustable trigger...took forever to grind it perfectly LOL

-SF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adler said:
SolidForce said:
DUST Cover = ejection port cover (getting my lingo down still, im a rifle n00b)

I finally got mine built and bought a pretty good guide, but it does not show some stuff I am wondering about. Maybe someone here can explain it....

So far I have done numerous function checks (seeing if the safety, disconnect, etc) work and they run flawlessly. I have checked all over ar-15.com and my rifle does everything ar15 says it should do...which i am proud of since this is my first build.

1. i pull the charging handle back, and the dust cover comes open. I release it (without a mag) and it shoots back into the upper and cocks the hammer. I put on safety and the trigger does not move, I put it on fire and it fires just fine. When does the dust cover close though? Does it close when you are firing?

2. Same thing about the dust cover when a mag is in, except the charging handle does not go back until I press the bolt release. Is this normal with the dust cover? How does the bolt catch work?

3. Any links to my basic questions?

Thanks guys

-SF
Dust cover is closed again manually but opens automatically when the charger is pulled back or the gun fired the first time.

Bolt catch is operated by the Mag follower that pushes it up to lock the bolt when the last round is ejected. Very similar to the way a pistol slide catch works.

Hope that helps.
perfect!!!

thanks!!!!

-SF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Another function check you should do before you go to the range. When you're checking to make sure it goes on safe and doesn't fire on safe and all that good shit, put it on "fire", and cock the weapon while holding the trigger back. When you release the trigger, you should hear a click inside the trigger group. This is a good thing if you hear it. You don't want to go out to the range if you put the trigger group in wrong, as you won't hear the click if it's not in there right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shad said:
Another function check you should do before you go to the range. When you're checking to make sure it goes on safe and doesn't fire on safe and all that good shit, put it on "fire", and cock the weapon while holding the trigger back. When you release the trigger, you should hear a click inside the trigger group. This is a good thing if you hear it. You don't want to go out to the range if you put the trigger group in wrong, as you won't hear the click if it's not in there right.
yeah i had to time the disconnect with the JP trigger so I heard the click

thanks for the tips guys!

-SF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
A recommendation before you go to the range:

Get some dummy rounds for it and practice dry firing a few times, just to go through the whole procedure of using the gun. You can practice clearing it and dealing with jams.

Also, the dummy rounds can be used to field strip.

That's cool that you built one before owning a pre-built model!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Nothing gets you more familiar with your armament than building it yourself. Congrats!
 

·
Plays Counter Strike and knows everything about gu
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
Congrats on the build. I'm planning on doing the same thing in a couple of months. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try and get pics tonight.

Good idea with the dummy rounds

-SF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what is your favorite grip while shooting? (prone, kneeling and standing)

Could someone do a quick rundown on proper firing procedure?

(ex: 1. load mag , 2. pull charging handle, etc etc)

thanks!

-SF
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,393 Posts




Building an AR isnt hard....here is my first venture into the ar15 world. USGI A1 unissued upper built by colt with Stag Arms lower assembly. Love the old handguards so much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
SolidForce said:
what is your favorite grip while shooting? (prone, kneeling and standing)

Could someone do a quick rundown on proper firing procedure?

(ex: 1. load mag , 2. pull charging handle, etc etc)

thanks!

-SF
Way I was taught to do it is lock the bolt back, inspect the chamber to make sure there's nothing in it, point rifle downrange, insert magazine, hit the bolt release, take of safe, and have fun. I've also always prefered kneeling or prone, but it's whatever you're comfortable with.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top